U.S. to force out foreign students taking classes fully online

snoop1130

10 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Well if it is 10AM in SFO it would be midnight in BKK,not sure if midnight is a good time to study,and if Somchai lives in in a tiny village in Esaan without internet then studying wouldn't be possible

If somchai in a small Isaan village can afford to go to a university in the USA, they will have internet even in Isaan.

My wife has a house in Isaan we've had internet there since 2006!  If all they are doing is taking classes they can adjust their schedule.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, ericthai said:

If somchai in a small Isaan village can afford to go to a university in the USA, they will have internet even in Isaan.

My wife has a house in Isaan we've had internet there since 2006!  If all they are doing is taking classes they can adjust their schedule.

and can afford to change the time too

• Confused 1

On 7/8/2020 at 8:56 PM, mrmicbkktxl said:

and can afford to change the time too

give me a break, you're telling me a university kid can't rearrange their study hours to take classes at night and sleep during the day?  I used to work midnight shift and that's what I did.

If it's really important you make sacrifices not excuses! 

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2020 at 4:41 PM, ericthai said:

The issue...

1. US Higher Education has more seats than it can fill with domestic students.

2. The excess seats are filled by overseas students.

3. The overseas students pay higher fees than domestic students and effectively cross-subsidise.

4. A lot of those overseas students come from China.

5. In China internet connection to overseas servers can be poor quality, even in big cities. Many sites that US colleges might reference will be blocked. 

6. Students part way through a course will be hit very hard.

I suspect this move will damage the US's future prospects in the lucrative International education market. Other English-speaking destinations will be rather pleased.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/8/2020 at 10:37 AM, mrmicbkktxl said:

Did you ever hear some people around the world do not have internet access?

this is awkward. how did the students sign up for an online class.....without the internet ? 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, mr mr said:

this is awkward. how did the students sign up for an online class.....without the internet ? 

They didnt. They signed up for in person classroom. Then whilst there the colleges closed and had to go online. Whilst there.

Now being kicked out. But still have to pay full fee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/8/2020 at 8:38 AM, Sujo said:

What a heartless decision.

I don't think this is a decision per se. 

It is an existing law. 

What's changing is US universities switching to online classes. That's the change here. 

Lots of Thai students are cancelling this year and not going. 

Imagine getting into Harvard, leaving your home and Country for the first time and being stuck in your tiny dorm romm being fobbed off with online lessons. For one, student suicide rates will rise but also - you won't be getting the same experience as students attending class. 

Hopefully, the universities will reverse their online decision or shift intakes to Jan. 

Edited by pedro01
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pedro01 said:

I don't think this is a decision per se. 

It is an existing law. 

What's changing is US universities switching to online classes. That's the change here. 

Lots of Thai students are cancelling this year and not going. 

Imagine getting into Harvard, leaving your home and Country for the first time and being stuck in your tiny dorm romm being fobbed off with online lessons. For one, student suicide rates will rise but also - you won't be getting the same experience as students attending class. 

Hopefully, the universities will reverse their online decision or shift intakes to Jan. 

Absolutely. They just arbitrarily changed their plans to offer only online classes because of a whim? Another person who is in denial of reality. ICE did manage to let foreign students take only online classes in the previous semester. So, no, it's not the law. Unless those foreign students were committing a crime.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

The issue...

1. US Higher Education has more seats than it can fill with domestic students.

2. The excess seats are filled by overseas students.

3. The overseas students pay higher fees than domestic students and effectively cross-subsidise.

4. A lot of those overseas students come from China.

5. In China internet connection to overseas servers can be poor quality, even in big cities. Many sites that US colleges might reference will be blocked. 

6. Students part way through a course will be hit very hard.

I suspect this move will damage the US's future prospects in the lucrative International education market. Other English-speaking destinations will be rather pleased.

I understand all that and they are good points. The thing is the US is out of control with COVID 19 and having schools open back to full capacity is crazy, something has to be done. Some kids need to stay home. I dont agree with the kids loosing their visas.

16 hours ago, Sujo said:

Sacrifices for what?

Students paid full fees. Unis closed for a period so they study online, still paying full fees. Now told to leave the country and continue online, still paying full fees.

If they wanted to experience college online they could have taken the cheaper online courses to begin with and never had to leave their home. But they chose the interactive full college experience at full price and through no fault of their own are being tossed out.

So tell me how this move is beneficial to anyone?

There is an epidemic going on and disrupting everyone lives. Schools are not opening 100%  and going to do as much as they can via remote classes. It's not just foreigners that will have to take online classes.  

I feel bad for the kids but this something everyone is dealing with.

When I say sacrifice I'm saying a young kid and adapt to time changes to handle online learning. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ericthai said:

There is an epidemic going on and disrupting everyone lives. Schools are not opening 100%  and going to do as much as they can via remote classes. It's not just foreigners that will have to take online classes.  

I feel bad for the kids but this something everyone is dealing with.

When I say sacrifice I'm saying a young kid and adapt to time changes to handle online learning. 

Handling online learning is not the issue here.

• Haha 1

On 7/11/2020 at 1:45 AM, mr mr said:

You sound same certain thais,"Thailand for Thais' or America for Americans'Makes me wonder what are you doing here in TV.If you don't have an understanding how hard and unfair this decision is,oh well then ......

• Haha 1

You might as well just close the university and give back all the money.

A 3-hour lecture can be done online.  It just a random guy reading a powerpoint.

How about you just send me the powerpoint file.  I can read it myself.

Edited by johnray

And the Trump admin rescinds the plan....

Government Rescinds Plan to Strip Visas From Foreign Students in Online Classes

The Trump administration said it would no longer require international students to attend in-person classes during the coronavirus pandemic in order to remain in the country.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/us/coronavirus-international-foreign-student-visas.html

Yes..the whole thing is as dead as a dodo now.

The Trump administration was playing "pass the cloaca" and somebody dropped the chamber pot...and it looks like the presidential personal communication device has not been charged up over night either.

There is no doubt that we'll all be getting another commode full of his wit,wisdom and governing expertise soon.

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Bet some posters here feel a bit humiliated by the president's flip-flop.

Nah, they bend over backwards to slavishly follow trumps every move / uTurn, no laughing emojis posted against the announcement etc from that lot

Edited by simple1

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Bet some posters here feel a bit humiliated by the president's flip-flop.

The Masters of Rationalization will not be deterred!

He comes out with things to impress his xenophobic base, Fox bangs the drum loudly on the weekend talking-head shows, but it disappears with a whimper so the base never hears the retraction, if they report the retraction at all.  A tried and true process.  If I had a better digestive system I might go check out if the mad woman with the Saturday night show praised him for it: there has been a few times when he tipped her off a few days before he made a public announcement.  A lot of these media people are on vacation this time of year.

Edited by bendejo