Where are we getting our Covid tests within 72h of flying?

PeterRoy

Hi Everyone,

I'm from the UK looking to get out to see my Wife and Child via the relaxed rules on farang arrivals. While the application for a Certificate of Entry is long-winded, it is mostly manageable. The one stumbling block seems to be getting my hands on a Covid test result, from a lab, within 72 hours of flying. The NHS provides results via text message and given the time restraint home tests aren't fast enough. I've seen a couple of private places with a fast TAT but both are in London whereas I'm from Scotland. Where do you guys/gals plan to get tested prior to flying?

Thanks in Advance. 

5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Ask the Thai Embassy in London? They are processing Thai returnees and I imagine that they do the tests locally, in London.

Thai returnees don't need covid tests before returning back to Thailand, that happens once they enter quarantine over here.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Ask the Thai Embassy in London? They are processing Thai returnees and I imagine that they do the tests locally, in London.

Good call, my Wife suggested this as well. I'll contact the Glasgow Embassy to see if they have access to something similar.

I have found the same issue and spent a lot of time to locate a Clinic which was not in Harley street London.

I found a Clinic in Birmingham (about 1.5 hrs travel) which will take the Covid-19 test and provide a Covid-19 free Certificate and Fit to Fly Certificate for £205 

https://midlandhealth.co.uk/tests-and-diagnostics/covid-19/

I also found online ‘Summerfield Health Care’ 

https://www.summerfieldhealthcare.co.uk

I know these don’t help you in Scotland, but I imagine there are similar facilities nearby. The KEY factor is whether or not there is a testing lab / facility nearby for the tests. 

You need a Covid-19 PCR test (not a Covid-19 Antibody test) at a facility which will provide a certificate.

Options include: 

1) Attending a Clinic and having a test taken. The results are e-mailed to you within 48 hrs (usually)

2) Having a test posted to you, self administering the test (swab nasal cavity and back of throat) and sending the test back to the Clinic (results claimed to be provided within 48hrs of the clinic receiving the test / swabs) - this relies heavily on the efficiency of the post.

3) Having a dedicated courier bring a test kit to you and waiting while you self administer the test. The courier then returns to the clinic with the test / swab. Results within 48 hrs. This option is the most expensive. 

There may be other options, i.e. drive through facilities etc, but I couldn’t find any. 

Note: the NHS drive through centres couldn’t do this as they don’t even provide a result or contact you unless you are found to be positive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, RichardColeman said:

Thought I read you needed two tests , 1 before applying to go and one before you leave

There is a significant lack of clarity on this issue.

Firstly we have the possibility that the instructions were written up and poorly translated by a junior MFA officer before distributing to the embassies - the clumsiness in the list of requirements is clear for all to see, the Embassies refused to address this and just suggested ‘do both’ !!!

I suspect (but could be mistaken) that logic kicks in and the Covid-19 Certificate (and Fit to Fly Certificate) which was required from a test taken no less than 72 hrs before flight will be required to receive the CoE from the Embassy. 

The issue with this is that logic is not applied and this is just a ‘box ticking’ exercise. 

Advise would be, if Airing on the side of caution take two tests, when applying and again after notification that you have been approved for CoE, take the test within 72 hrs of flying and submit results to the Embassy before receiving the CoE. 

Personally, I haven’t taken a Covid-19 test or provided a Fit to Fly certificate with the application which was submitted 2 weeks prior to flight bookings. I did highlight in the letter that a Covid-19 test has been booked 72 hrs before booked flight time. 

Unfortunately the Thai Embassy in Glasgow is closed until further notice and the email I just received back from London consisted of a link to the COE page. Sigh.

Waiting for the post to arrive on the day of travel could be quite a nightmare, I'll continue my search for a Lab near me. 

Having a dedicated courier bring a test kit to you and waiting while you self administer the test. The courier then returns to the clinic with the test / swab. Results within 48 hrs. This option is the most expensive.

I'm also going to investigate the third option suggested by Richard. 

I do however feel there must be a common option used by applicants as every one needs this Covid test. In my case, a 700 mile round trip shouldn't be required for an appropriate lab for testing. Perhaps a more solid option will emerge in a week or two as people plan to fly out.

2 hours ago, PeterRoy said:

Perhaps a more solid option will emerge in a week or two as people plan to fly out.

Plan to fly out?

Could you please point me to a case of an approved application?

I haven't heard of a single one.

I might be wrong but at this point virtually no one in the married group is making any plans to fly out.

3 hours ago, unheard said:

Plan to fly out?

I might be wrong but at this point virtually no one in the married group is making any plans to fly out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe richard_smith237 is planning to fly out in a couple of weeks.

Edited by PeterRoy

23 minutes ago, PeterRoy said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe richard_smith237 is planning to fly out in a couple of weeks.

Well let's wait for his response.

My understanding is that he's in the same position as everyone else - waiting to hear back from MFA.

27 minutes ago, PeterRoy said:
3 hours ago, unheard said:

Plan to fly out?

Unheard's scepticism was well placed. 

The list of requirements in applying for the Certificate of Entry included (amongst other things) Flight bookings and ASQ Booking. 

Flight Arrivals for Suvarnabumi showed a number of international flights arriving.

Qatar Airlines being one of them. Qatar Airlines website had available flights for next week (at the time)

I checked with a contact at immigration (Suvarnabumi airport) who confirmed passengers are arriving on international flights (hindsight suggests this was a mistake). 

In short: I bought the Qatar Airways ticket for next week.

The Ticket is still ‘Confirmed’ on the Qatar Airways Website (when I go to Manage My booking). But, I am quite sure Qatar will cancel this flight.

By law they have to provide a full refund within 7 days.  

Conclusion: the Qatar Airways flight booking is an unethical sham - unheard was correct. 

The airlines appear to be running a ‘cash grab’ in the hope they can ’secure’ passengers and keep postponing them until passenger flights are permitted. 

There has been a lot of misinformation and confusion (par for the course). 

The Embassy has informed me that my documents are received, the application is complete - I have to stand by for approval of the Certificate of Entry.

I assume I will then be told which Thai Airways repatriation flight I can take (if there are any seats available on it) and then have to make the booking. 

I also assume I will then have to provide a Covid-19 test and ASQ booking to the Embassy before they will provide me with the CoE. 

Time line on all this - no idea !  but doubtful it will be within the next couple of weeks. 

If regular flights open up before the CoE is approved, I assume the process may change again and we may be able to take these ‘regular flights’.

----------

On Topic - Where are we getting our Covid-19 tests within 72 hrs?. 

Its yet to be executed, however, my plan is to visit a clink about 1.5 hrs from my home (UK) who offer a result and certificate within 48hrs. 

There are also ’service’ which post the test, and you post the test back. Result timing depends on postage time, these clinics also provide a courier service (at more cost) - i.e. summerfieldhealth.com

There are many clinics which offer Covid-19 tests in central London (Harley st.)

All facilities which offer a private test are private - the PCR tests cost between £180 and £300

The UK NHS carry out drive through test, but do not provide certification. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

My understanding is that the fit to fly cert to return to Thailand (either thai or foreign) does not require a covid test - it’s just a basic health questionnaire. 

Can anyone post a link where it says a covid test it required????

E-Mail from the Thai Embassy in the UK (29-June).

This doesn’t mean that the requirements are set in stone. As we all know, any official requirements comes with its own interpretation and translation - we see this as requirements change from District office to District office and we are seeing this here as people post on this forum of the different requirements. 

As I understand it, the necessary documents for the Application of Certificate of Entry (as a spouse) are Copy of Marriage Certificate, Copy of Passport and visa page, Copy of Wife’s passport.  

The other requirements can be submitted once the applicant has received notification that their CoE has been approved. I didn’t submit any covid-19 tests or fit to fly cert. 

I think that this point it will be more clear exactly what the Embassy Requires before the send you the CoE (i.e the Embassy will tell you exactly what they need). 

Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 18.17.22.png

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

My understanding is that the fit to fly cert to return to Thailand (either thai or foreign) does not require a covid test - it’s just a basic health questionnaire. 

Can anyone post a link where it says a covid test it required????

Isn't it a given that for a doctor to issue the FTF medical cert you would have been tested for the WuFlu ?

1527255451_fittofly.jpg.aeda048cb4560f01dd5ebff3d22b1e06.jpg

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

Isn't it a given that for a doctor to issue the FTF medical cert you would have been tested for the WuFlu ?

Not for the repatriation of Thai’s up to this point. I’ve heard that the Embassy have been arranging the 'Fit to Fly’ certification through a video call with a doctor - I think the document concentrates on possible symptoms rather than a Covid-19 test. 

The requirements could be different for foreigners applying for the CoE under what could be termed phase 2 of CoE applications (just guessing though).

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Not for the repatriation of Thai’s up to this point. I’ve heard that the Embassy have been arranging the 'Fit to Fly’ certification through a video call with a doctor - I think the document concentrates on possible symptoms rather than a Covid-19 test. 

The requirements could be different for foreigners applying for the CoE under what could be termed phase 2 of CoE applications (just guessing though).

So the fit to fly cert is a Delete then ?

10 minutes ago, Don Mega said:
11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

So the fit to fly cert is a Delete then ?

Nope... thats not what I wrote. 

The Embassy requirement for Foreigners (as per the Embassy e-mail) was both a Covid-19 Test and Fit to Fly Certificate are required.

As I understand it, Thai’s have been repatriated with just the Fit to Fly certificate (which covers symptoms). 

I’m not 100% sure what the requirements are, but expect to find out once / if notified that the CoE has been approved. 

I’m sure the Thai Embassy will then be specific about their requirements for releasing the CoE to the applicant.

The requirements for both, Covid-19 negative test and the Fit to Fly certificate seem like overkill. 

The Covid-19 test supersedes the Fit to Fly certificate (from the Covid-19 perspective).

I suspect the initial regulations (for repatriating Thai’s) were put together before the Covid-19 PCR Tests were widely available. 

Since then, the Covid-19 test has been added to the list of requirements and in true bureaucratic style no one wanted to or thought to ‘remove’ an obsolete requirement (just a guess). 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Nope... thats not what I wrote. 

The Embassy requirement for Foreigners (as per the Embassy e-mail) was both a Covid-19 Test and Fit to Fly Certificate are required.

As I understand it, Thai’s have been repatriated with just the Fit to Fly certificate (which covers symptoms). 

I’m not 100% sure what the requirements are, but expect to find out once / if notified that the CoE has been approved. 

I’m sure the Thai Embassy will then be specific about their requirements for releasing the CoE to the applicant.

My question that you replied was nothing to do with Thai's.

My bad, sorry for the misunderstanding.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

As I understand it, the necessary documents for the Application of Certificate of Entry (as a spouse) are Copy of Marriage Certificate, Copy of Passport and visa page, Copy of Wife’s passport.  

The other requirements can be submitted once the applicant has received notification that their CoE has been approved. I didn’t submit any covid-19 tests or fit to fly cert. 

I think that this point it will be more clear exactly what the Embassy Requires before the send you the CoE (i.e the Embassy will tell you exactly what they need). 

Mother of god could it be any more convoluted. 

Im actually in Thailand but I travel for work in some dumpy areas and if this holds I’ll not be able to go to work and directly return, as going through all this would be literally impossible while on the fly. 

Looks like it’s gonna stay this retarded for a long time too. 

I could manage a fit to fly but a timed covid test and having to go through the embassy and wait..... Never gonna happen. 

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

My question that you replied was nothing to do with Thai's.

My bad, sorry for the misunderstanding.

I’ve edited my post... I suspect the Fit to Fly certificate to be a ‘legacy’ requirement.... i.e. its something thats been left in there since the Covid-19 tests have become more readily available and a more recent requirement. 

The fact that the requirements stipulate both Fit to Fly cert and Covid-19 test results upon application for the CoE (i.e. greater than 10 days before planned travel) and also again less than 72hrs prior to departure just doesn’t make sense.

This seems to me like a list of requirements made up by a committee and hastily distributed before being individually translated by people too far from the decision making process to be able to question the logic of said requirements. 

Personally, regarding the Fit to Fly Certificate and Covid-19 test - its a moot point until the Embassy contact us again to notify us that the the Certificate of Entry has been approved, at which point we can ask them exactly what more is required. 

It would be good to have in our back pocket a place where a Covid-19 test can be carried out and result issued within 48 hrs and also a place which could issue a Fit to Fly certificate if needed. 

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Personally, regarding the Fit to Fly Certificate and Covid-19 test - its a moot point until the Embassy contact us again to notify us that the the Certificate of Entry has been approved, at which point we can ask them exactly what more is required. 

I just messaged an Ozzie friend who just confirmed to me he’ll be on a “repatriation flight” to Thailand departing on the 19th and his covid test is booked for the 17th, so it looks like what you’re saying is solid. 

Oz national going through the Sydney consulate and married to a thai. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Mother of god could it be any more convoluted. 

Im actually in Thailand but I travel for work in some dumpy areas and if this holds I’ll not be able to go to work and directly return, as going through all this would be literally impossible while on the fly. 

Looks like it’s gonna stay this retarded for a long time too. 

I could manage a fit to fly but a timed covid test and having to go through the embassy and wait..... Never gonna happen. 

Agreed... Hopefully all of this nonsense is resolved within a couple of months.

If this is still an issue in 6 months time I will have little choice but to move back to the UK (something I’ve been looking at anyway). 

Those like me face the situation of having to travel overseas to Quarantine for 2 weeks before, then work offshore for 4 weeks. Then travel back to Thailand to quarantine for 2 weeks - Effectively a life of 4 weeks in quarantine and 4 weeks offshore !!! 

A lot of things need to be ironed out. 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed... Hopefully all of this nonsense is resolved within a couple of months.

If this is still an issue in 6 months time I will have little choice but to move back to the UK (something I’ve been looking at anyway). 

Those like me face the situation of having to travel overseas to Quarantine for 2 weeks before, then work offshore for 4 weeks. Then travel back to Thailand to quarantine for 2 weeks - Effectively a life of 4 weeks in quarantine and 4 weeks offshore !!! 

A lot of things need to be ironed out. 

I work offshore too and it seems the only way to get working would be to relocate back to the US. Something I have also been planning but not just yet. Looks like I’ll really need to move that timetable up. 

Luckily I have enough money to stay in Thailand for a couple years if needed but that’s irrational. 

Looks like Thailand is making these decisions a lot easier for me. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

I just messaged an Ozzie friend who just confirmed to me he’ll be on a “repatriation flight” to Thailand departing on the 19th and his covid test is booked for the 17th, so it looks like what you’re saying is solid. 

Oz national going through the Sydney consulate and married to a thai. 

So, your friend has received an approval from MFA via the Thai consulate to enter Thailand on the basis of being married.

Is that correct?

Could you please confirm?

Asking cause I couldn't get an answer out of you last time around and many here are still under an impression that they will get a permission to enter shortly after filling out an application.

Which could not be farther from the truth.

I don't wanna start another argument here, just want a definitive answer.

It's either one or another. Shouldn't be that hard to confirm if you stay in contact with him.

Edited by unheard

A little clarification for anyone interested, lifted from the Thai Embassy in London's:

For family members of Thai nationals (spouse/child/parent)

While Thailand still puts in place travel restriction, spouse or child or parent of a Thai national can apply for the Certificate of Entry to go to Thailand.  

Required documents, which must be submitted by email to [email protected] : 

1. Statement of your purpose and urgent need to go to Thailand
  2. Your passport copy and your spouse's or child’s or your parent's passport copy
  3. A copy of your Thai visa (if already expired, you have to apply for a new one)
  4. Copy of marriage certificate or birth certificate
  5. Copy of air ticket *
  6. Covid-free heath certificate *
  7. Fit to fly health certificate *
  8. Copy of health insurance policy which covers COVID related medical treatment and coverage of no less than 100,000 USD
  9. Hotel booking for Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ) at one of the hotels approved by the Thai authorities *
  10. Other supporting documents (if any), such as if you own a property in Thailand
  11. Declaration form

As the spouse of a Thai national you're required to submit 11 items for consideration when applying for the "Certificate of Entry." These are sent off to Bangkok for approval, which can take 2-3 weeks. 

The statement (1), passport (2), marriage certificate (4), supporting documents (10) and the declaration form (11) should be easy to obtain.

In my case I have to apply for another non-immigrant O visa AFTER the COE is issued. (3)

For the insurance policy which covers Covid (8) I'm going to try my hand with Post Office travel insurance. It claims to cover serious Covid cases and repatriation if required. It was just over £200 for 3 months (as a 34 year old with no pre-existing conditions.)

Alternative state quarantine (ASQ) needs to be booked BEFORE applying, this has to be paid in full. For the lower end accommodation you're looking at £770 - £1250 for the 15 night stay. This is the list of hotels given by London's Embassy. Seeing as you're effectively boxed in a room for a month, there's little upside of booking a hotel based on location or out of room facilities. Given online reviews and the view from higher floors, the The Kinn Bangkok hotel looks comparatively good value at £770. The key point is that ASQ hotel dates can be changed no extra cost but refunds won't be given for full cancellations. (9)

The final 3 items are not required to be submitted for the COE unless you're travelling within 72 hours (don't ask me how they were planning to process the application in that timeframe.) But you will need the Covid free health certificate on arrival, specifically: A Medical certificate with a laboratory result indicating that COVID -19 is not detected (COVID test must be by RT-PCR method), issued within 72 hours before departure. It's proving hard for me to find a Lab with quick results. I've emailed a few places but I don't hold out much hope. Flying to Birmingham is my current best option but it's not preferred. Fit to Fly certificates seem to be issued alongside Covid tests, alternatively they appear to be given out like candy via GP skype sessions. The Covid test and FTF certificates will set you back around £180-300.

Finally, there are various airlines appearing to fly into Thailand come August. Qatar, Turkish, Finnish Air to name a few. Return prices are low £500-600 and thankfully tickets are flexible for re-booking before December (Qatar and Turkish confirmed) (5).

It would be naive to say these guidelines won't change in the near future, it would be equally foolish to ignore the risk of a £2,000-£3,000 outlay in the hope this ticks the correct boxes in Bangkok. 

I'm personally going to wait a few weeks to hear the approval rate of COE applications, if that info is thin on the ground I'm going to have to jump into the darkness, fists full of baht in hand.

The above information is where I'm at just now, please your own conformity research if you're planning to apply.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, PeterRoy said:

I'm personally going to wait a few weeks to hear the approval rate of COE applications

There are some here who are already waiting for close to 3 weeks by now.

Not a peep.

It's impossible to say what the plan is and how they're planning to proceed.

Or maybe they're still working on the logistics.

I think we won't hear anything until August.

Edited by unheard
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, unheard said:

So, your friend has received an approval from MFA via the Thai consulate to enter Thailand on the basis of being married.

Is that correct?

Could you please confirm?

A quote from him 20 mins ago:

“I then went into the consular yesterday and she confirmed that I have a seat and I have been granted entry, they are waiting for the certificate to be written up and received and then will send me a link next week to pay and bring my passport in to process my visa“

Another quote from the same convo, me noting how fast he was moving while others are in disbelief or feeling stonewalled:

”Yeah that's kind of their own doing, the process isn't that hard, they gave a list of everything you need and just follow the list, I was super organised and went into the consular myself, the lady I had was really cool and genuinely wanted to help me”

30 minutes ago, unheard said:

Asking cause I couldn't get an answer out of you last time around and many here are still under an impression that they will get a permission to enter shortly after filling out an application.

Which could not be farther from the truth.

I don't wanna start another argument here, just want a definitive answer.

It's either one or another. Shouldn't be that hard to confirm if you stay in contact with him.

I dunno why you keep hounding me on this. I’m just relaying what he says and he 100% is going through the process right now. If all goes well he’ll be here on the 19th

• Thanks 1