BANGKOK
marc26

How much do you make rice farming?

40 minutes ago, marc26 said:

The village is actually Doem Bang, about 20mins from Singburi.

It still doesn't sound like it would be worth the hassle leasing the land, collecting payment.

Fortunately we wouldn't need the income from it, so it isn't something we need the money from.

Now if we were able to buy a smaller plot of land, I wouldn't do anything on the land............but it's extremely hard to find land in the 5-6rai range

So if we end up buying a larger piece of land at the price I want, I wouldn't want it to go to waste.

We started to chat about growing fruit on it, possibly

Again, this is all just throwing ideas around.

Some good info by a lot of posters, I appreciate it..............

You are welcome

don't forget (But i am sure you know it already) you don't buy a land here in Thailand

you just give the money for it, in fact the land is in the name of your wife, so ''we buy''

or ''i buy'' a land is incorrect, the reality end in ''you pay a land for her''

then let's her to decide what she wants to do with her land, get involved as little as you can

in Thai mind, be involved in a project = you are asked to finance it.

If you have had a child together, you can put the land in your child name

if not, don't throw more money than you are ready to lose

even if everything is ok now with her, you can not be sure about the future

it's still better to be safe than sorry

good luck

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You most probably won't make any money but you might find doing a small holding is better. We just brought 2 rai at about 400k (200k per rai) it has underground water so we will dig a pond for fish, grow fruit trees and vegetables, also keep chickens and goats. The idea is we become a little bit self-sufficient. So what we don't eat we sell to pay electricity and water bill. We also breed German Shepherds and Doberman, ( yes we are registered with the Thailand Kennel Association) so security is no problem.

On 7/7/2020 at 10:43 PM, marc26 said:

anyone know what that makes?

Probably peanuts...

• Like 1

I have tied to get a straight answer to that question for years. Answer is close to zero and perhaps a negative number.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KhunKenAP said:

I have tied to get a straight answer to that question for years. Answer is close to zero and perhaps a negative number.

I stopped asking 10 years ago. ................... a totally pointless exercise - and if any wife can accurately compute, record and react to the financials relating to rice farming, then she shouldn't be wasting her time in rice farming!

• Like 1

How much do you make rice farming? . 

Not enough to live, too much to Die.

• Like 1

there is not much profit and a potential for aggravation.. best off might be to invest in something you might enjoy using.. like a condo.. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Pilotman said:

We are partners in 3 farms in the north east, with the family.  Total of the three is 12 Rai.  They are not all exclusively rice, we also grow, sweet potatoes and corn.  We get two or 3 harvests each year and the income we derive totally supports 3 families although I would say that in accountancy terms, we do not totally recover the capital costs of equipment and irrigation. 

When you say it supports 3 families, you mean it feeds them? No way would 12 rai cover living costs such as cars, holidays, medical etc no matter what you grow. My wife had 36 rai in Issan but sold it all a couple of years back. She rented it out to rice farmers but not for cash. For every 3 sacks of rice the farmer harvested my wife got 1 sack. Basically it would feed the family and some got sold. Initially we got 2-3 harvests a year, However, if no rain then no rice so she would get next to nothing.
Local farmers do get a certain amount of money from the Farm bank if they cannot produce from the land due to drought, not much but at least they get something. During harvest time you have to be present and count was they harvest or you will get cheated. Like you the family did grow sweet potato, corn, tapioca and other vegetables on land she let them use. They ate what they needed and the mother in law would sell the rest at the local market. 
I’m my opinion the OP would be best to keep his cash in the bank. 

• Like 2

Our wives firmly believe land goes up in value every year and that it is a good investment. Maybe this is true in some locations, but not typical agricultural land. There is often a disconnect between what Thai people believe their land is worth and what someone is actually prepared to pay to buy that land.

If you want to buy farmland, buy it as a lifestyle choice and/or inheritance values.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2020 at 10:56 PM, ratcatcher said:

Have you been living with your Thai wife in the city for 17 years?

Will you be paying for the land which she will own?

Could you adjust to country life and how far from the nearest large town is this land?

Would you want to build a house on the land or just lease it to other farmers for rent?

I live in rice country, but my wife is a mango farmer. I could never go back to the urban jungle, here or anywhere.

Good luck in your investment plan.

That's not the question he asked !

On 7/7/2020 at 5:43 PM, marc26 said:

But if we bought a large parcel of land and leased it for farming, does anyone know what that makes? I don't want the hassle of dealing with leasing land if it doesn't make sense financially for me.

Thanks for any info.........

If it's good land you might get 1,000 baht to 1,500 baht a rai (1,600 ­m²) per year; in some areas/cases the fee is as low a 500 baht a rai.

Some times the rental fee is not money, but a share of the harvest, so you might need storage space for rice, or insist on cash.

You can as a general hand-rule count around 1 percent of the buying price as yearly rent for farmland, so looked as business then farmland for rent is not a good one. However, land prices normally increase, so over time you make money just keeping the land and later sell it, or just see the rent-percentage rise a bit, but often less than the land value. If you can find some really bargain priced land from someone in urgent need for cash, you might be able to get as much as up to 3-4 percent in annually return.

Normal rental deals are for 3 years – which is the legal maximum without registration as lease at the land office and paying tax – and renegotiated, or just renewed, for another 3 year after the first period ends. If used for sugar cane – or other crops with more than one year growing period – instead of rice, it need to be 3-year agreements. Normally the fee is paid annually after the harvest; the payment date can vary depending of selling time for the harvest. Often a rent agreement will stipulate than the renter pays land-tax, and the renter might also be eligible for any support based on farmed land-size.

If you – or rather your wife – have a 25 rai land size you can normally make between 12,000 baht and up to around 25,000 baht a year; if you make more you are very lucky...🙂

• Like 1