AIS NET MARATHON SIM 1200B 7.5 GB/Month 1Mbps

I'm looking at changing my girlfriend's current plan, which is currently a postpaid AIS to the above prepaid 1mbps.

So I'm just curious to know if anybody is using this particular plan speed and if it's suitable for all the typical Thai endeavours, Facebook YouTube and Line Video calling. I should mention that those requirements are only when we are and about,. Have perfectly good Wi-Fi at home.

I downloaded an app today to test the 1mps speed and it seemed ok. 

I have included a link below for others that may be interested as it seems to me these phone companies appear to go out of their way to bury these types of inexpensive plans.

https://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/en/marathon1200.html

Edited by 1

It's all relative.  One cell tower may give you great speeds, another may not.   Maybe one provider gives you better signal strength over another in your location.  Also depends time of day sometimes too.  You cannot generalize too much by asking questions like is AIS any good.

Pricing is also kind of a mute point these says.  They all try stay in line on pricing so there is usually very little difference other than the occasional short term promotion designed to try get you to switch.

Edited by shdmn

6 minutes ago, shdmn said:

It's all relative.  One cell tower may give you great speeds, another may not.   Maybe one provider gives you better signal strength over another in your location.  Also depends time of day sometimes too.  You cannot generalize too much by asking questions like is AIS any good.

Pricing is also kind of a mute point these says.  They all try stay in line on pricing so there is usually very little difference other than the occasional short term promotion designed to try get you to switch.

Sorry maybe I wasn't very clear in my question. I really just wanted to know if 1mps speed is suitable for YouTube Facebook and Line video. Of course appreciating that the advertised speed may not be the speed that is delivered for whatever reason.

• Like 1

1Mbps is 125KB/s... it's quite slow. 

With an optimum connection, you could get 480p streams from Youtube, but it's more likely you would get 360p.  Google recommends the following....

Video Resolution

Recommended sustained speed
4K 20 Mbps
HD 1080p    5 Mbps
HD 720p  2.5 Mbps
SD 480p 1.1 Mbps
SD 360p 0.7 Mbps

Source: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/78358?hl=en

That's also super expensive.  AIS offers much cheaper/better plans for a lot less money.  For example, a couple of months ago 

they offered 10Mbps (1250KB/s) of unlimited data for 200 baht/month prepaid.  They've since replaced that with a 4Mbps unlimited for the same 200 baht/month.

If you can get that plan, you would be 4X better off in speed (and able to get HD quality from youtube) for 1/6th the price each month.  And of course, it's unlimited.  The plan requires a new SIM (50 bath) and lasts for 12 months from the date of activation.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, asiacurious said:

That's also super expensive.  AIS offers much cheaper/better plans for a lot less money.  For example, a couple of months ago 

That's actually 1200b for 1 year not per month.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 1 said:

Sorry maybe I wasn't very clear in my question. I really just wanted to know if 1mps speed is suitable for YouTube Facebook and Line video. Of course appreciating that the advertised speed may not be the speed that is delivered for whatever reason.

It's barely enough. You'll get buffering on YouTube. Video Chat may also suffer. 

4 Mbps is a better option. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, asiacurious said:

1Mbps is 125KB/s... it's quite slow. 

With an optimum connection, you could get 480p streams from Youtube, but it's more likely you would get 360p.  Google recommends the following....

Video Resolution

Recommended sustained speed
4K 20 Mbps
HD 1080p    5 Mbps
HD 720p  2.5 Mbps
SD 480p 1.1 Mbps
SD 360p 0.7 Mbps

Source: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/78358?hl=en

they offered 10Mbps (1250KB/s) of unlimited data for 200 baht/month prepaid.  They've since replaced that with a 4Mbps unlimited for the same 200 baht/month.

If you can get that plan, you would be 4X better off in speed (and able to get HD quality from youtube) for 1/6th the price each month.  And of course, it's unlimited.  The plan requires a new SIM (50 bath) and lasts for 12 months from the date of activation.

You have a few things wrong, though the bandwidth/You/Tube info is fine.

They haven't replaced 10 Mbps with 4 Mbps. 10 Mbps is still offered, but it is 250 baht per month. 4 Mbps, 200 baht.

The plans now run for 6 months, not 12.

Of course the Marathon plan in the headline is 100 baht per month, not 1200 baht.

• Like 1

Don't ignore the voice calling part of the plan: how many minutes are included.  Though most people now use messaging apps such as Facebook Messenger & Line to make voice calls, there still are times when regular calling is needed.  I set up a plan where I had only 200 minutes of voice calls a month and it proved insufficient.  One or two long calls can make a big dent and I found myself paying substantial extra charges.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dddave said:

Don't ignore the voice calling part of the plan: how many minutes are included.  Though most people now use messaging apps such as Facebook Messenger & Line to make voice calls, there still are times when regular calling is needed.  I set up a plan where I had only 200 minutes of voice calls a month and it proved insufficient.  One or two long calls can make a big dent and I found myself paying substantial extra charges.

The AIS new SIM promos have the option of unlimited voice calls for an extra 50 baht per month.

Edited by Eindhoven
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 1:28 AM, asiacurious said:

1Mbps is 125KB/s... it's quite slow

Sorry I missed it when I read it originally, not sure how you been it's at the start.

But anyway I don't think that is correct. 

Even we are in Thailand and we work on the decimal system I think you will find that 1mbps = 1000kbps.

At least that's my understanding.

Seems expensive to me , i have a 12 month unlimited speed True sim capped at 60 gb per month which i paid 1250 baht for from Lazada .

Obviously the speed varies but I haven’t seen lower than 16Mbps and a max of 138Mbps.

Currently at :

866E5105-9BDE-40D7-B670-12BAFFF776F8.thumb.png.8812dbe98a480c3a0fa7d999c3133a83.png

3 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

i have a 12 month unlimited speed True sim capped at 60 gb per month which i paid 1250 baht for from Lazada

Just to be clear that is a one-off charge of 1250b? With no additional monthly charges?

3 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yup, i bought 2 , one for me one for the gf, I bought the 4Mbps version the previous year for a similar price.

Thanks for that. That seems like a super deal!

I think the only limitation I can see is that it has 15 minute restriction on your calls to any network before you are charged? Is that right and is there anything else that you know of that you need to look out for?

On 7/7/2020 at 11:16 PM, 1 said:

I've had the AIS 1,800 baht 1mbps unlimited for the last year and it's fine for YouTube, Facebook, Line and WhatsApp video. Today i tested the speed and it's 20+ mbps, no idea why, it's happened before, so some days you get lucky.

Get the year 1800 baht unlimited data plan instead then you never have to worry about the data

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, 1 said:

Thanks for that. That seems like a super deal!

I think the only limitation I can see is that it has 15 minute restriction on your calls to any network before you are charged? Is that right and is there anything else that you know of that you need to look out for?

To be honest i only use data for calls so I can’t comment, i did put 500 baht on when I registered the sim and had to call my uk bank a couple of times re: a problem with my credit card but still have 370 baht left.

I just asked the gf and she said “ can call True to True free ,the signal drops after 15 minutes but can call straight back no problem. If call to AIS i use Line or FB , i not want pay money “ !!

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

To be honest i only use data for calls so I can’t comment, i did put 500 baht on when I registered the sim and had to call my uk bank a couple of times re: a problem with my credit card but still have 370 baht left.

I just asked the gf and she said “ can call True to True free ,the signal drops after 15 minutes but can call straight back no problem. If call to AIS i use Line or FB , i not want pay money “ !!

Thanks I was just looking at it on Lazada. though 1300b here.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/max-speed-60gb-1-true-ais-dtac-i363708371-s710346497.html?exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1498579383!58089999096!!!pla-784286567190!c!784286567190!710346497!134532371&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgJv4BRCrARIsAB17JI4J571gPb8yKvsT4Qktl5BjDIMK4o9l9EhjnZU8f37YvpNJfA3QP28aAgSWEALw_wcB

But it does say here that it's any network.

โทรฟรีทุกค่าย ทุกเครือข่ายตลอด 1 ปีเต็ม

ทุกเดือน นาน 1 ปี โทรฟรีทุกเครือข่าย True AIS DTAC 

Anyway thanks for the Post definitely looking into it.

Edited by 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 1 said:

Sorry I missed it when I read it originally, not sure how you been it's at the start.

But anyway I don't think that is correct. 

Even we are in Thailand and we work on the decimal system I think you will find that 1mbps = 1000kbps.

At least that's my understanding.

He is correct, you are mixing up Bits and Bytes.  There are 8 bits to a byte. 

• Like 1

1 Mbps definitely buffers on YouTube. Have used the plan extensively on a Smartphone and it buffers until it loads fully. Obviously if you dial down on the quality of the video it's not a issue. But to state that it's fine, simply washes over the issue. It works, but 4 Mbps or even 2 Mbps is better.

• Thanks 1

There is no need to accept a connection as low as 1 Mbps. Both DTAC & Truemove H offer 2 Mbps for 90 baht per month currently, if only for six months.

The annual SIMs via Lazada and Shopee also offer better value than the 1 Mbps packs.

Edited by Eindhoven
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Just as an extension to my original post. Have you [ or anybody else for that matter ] used any of these cards as a hotspot for a home wireless network. I have lots of different ways I could manage this really just interested in speed and connection issues.

Currently I'm with 3BB and only really get a maximum of about 14mbs which can be a little bit flaky at times. I don't think I have a choice of other companies in my condo in South Pattaya. Unless that's changed in the last 6 months.

I would clearly need to test it and im aware that there is a limitation in regard to the download limit but I think in my case if it's workable it might be worth looking at.

52 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

1 Mbps definitely buffers on YouTube. Have used the plan extensively on a Smartphone and it buffers until it loads fully. Obviously if you dial down on the quality of the video it's not a issue. But to state that it's fine, simply washes over the issue. It works, but 4 Mbps or even 2 Mbps is better.

I just tried 3 videos on YouTube and no buffering, started straight away, maybe your signal wasn't good

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I just tried 3 videos on YouTube and no buffering, started straight away, maybe your signal wasn't good

Remember that you already told us.....

Today i tested the speed and it's 20+ mbps,

Signal is fine and anyway it would hardly affect a 1 Mbps connection. I have a 10 Mbps SIM at the same location. Have been using the package for longer than yourself.

Overall it is ok for what you pay, but it makes sense to get better if offered at the same price or less.

Edited by Eindhoven

5 hours ago, 1 said:

Just as an extension to my original post. Have you [ or anybody else for that matter ] used any of these cards as a hotspot for a home wireless network. I have lots of different ways I could manage this really just interested in speed and connection issues.

Currently I'm with 3BB and only really get a maximum of about 14mbs which can be a little bit flaky at times. I don't think I have a choice of other companies in my condo in South Pattaya. Unless that's changed in the last 6 months.

I would clearly need to test it and im aware that there is a limitation in regard to the download limit but I think in my case if it's workable it might be worth looking at.

Mine sits in a router.

There is only a limitation to the download limit if you choose an option with a download limit.

You choose according to your requirements and your budget. I use 10 Mbps unlimited as a back up to the in-house connection.

Yes, your first step would be to buy a 50 baht SIM from the network in which you are interested in order to run a speed test in your apartment. From that you can decide on the package best for you.

In my apartment, AIS gives around 20 Mbps. The other two only around 4 Mbps. 

• Thanks 1

Just a follow-up to my situation, we got the SIM yesterday and set it all up. To be quite honest it was a complete pain in the a&#@ ordering it as it had to be done online. Which required some Thai interpretation and kept failing at the payment point for me so I was sent another link to try which finally worked.

Any way onto the SIM card everything appears okay and I have even used it to hotspot to my Android TV. Just as some sort of proxy test for another idea.

So for some reason unknown to me it delivers a much faster speed offered. Completely unclear to me why that is. But if it maintains throughout the course of the year no complaints. 

Thanks to all for the advice. 

Expect to see a follow-up topic re hotspoting options for home wifi using a sim card. ????

1799392423_15944450412652.thumb.jpg.b15cdd9713e8dbd34fbf2d48db08e7df.jpg

Edited by 1

1 hour ago, 1 said:

Just a follow-up to my situation, we got the SIM yesterday and set it all up. To be quite honest it was a complete pain in the a&#@ ordering it as it had to be done online. Which required some Thai interpretation and kept failing at the payment point for me so I was sent another link to try which finally worked.

Any way onto the SIM card everything appears okay and I have even used it to hotspot to my Android TV. Just as some sort of proxy test for another idea.

So for some reason unknown to me it delivers a much faster speed offered. Completely unclear to me why that is. But if it maintains throughout the course of the year no complaints. 

Thanks to all for the advice. 

Expect to see a follow-up topic re hotspoting options for home wifi using a sim card. ????

1799392423_15944450412652.thumb.jpg.b15cdd9713e8dbd34fbf2d48db08e7df.jpg

which one did you get? my AIS 1mbps 12 month deal is still delivering much faster speeds 23mbps just there, i also have no idea why

Screenshot_20200711-135126.png

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

which one did you get? my AIS 1mbps 12 month deal is still delivering much faster speeds 23mbps just there, i also have no idea why

Yes I got the same one. Im in South Pattaya not sure if that makes a difference. I will have a harder look at the settings and if I notice anything different I'll report back.

One thing I did note is that the speed test did not deliver and upload speed though I didn't explore it I'm sure it's not a problem.