BANGKOK
Thaivisa Web Content Team

U.S. says it’s considering banning TikTok

The United States is considering a ban on TikTok according to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who made the statement in an interview yesterday.

The news comes during a tumultuous stretch for TikTok in the U.S. Its popularity soared with 315 million downloads from January to March, according to CNN. However, it’s faced significant, bipartisan pushback.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) led the call for a national security investigation regarding the app’s parent company ByteDance in November of last year.

Pompeo said that the White House is considering the ban in an interview with Fox News’ Laura Ingraham on Monday.

With respect to Chinese apps on people’s cell phones, I can assure you the United States will get this one right too,” he said. “I don’t want to get out in front of the president, but it’s something we’re looking at.”

He confirmed that TikTok was among the apps they were “looking at.”

Concerns arose last year when senators from both sides questioned the safety of user information at ByteDance. ByteDance is located in Beijing. TikTok has said all U.S. user data is stored in the U.S.

TikTok was also accused of censoring anti-China content like videos that supported the pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong.

Security experts have voiced concerns that China’s vague patchwork of intelligence, national security, and cybersecurity laws compel Chinese companies to support and cooperate with intelligence work controlled by the Chinese Communist Party,” the senators wrote.

TikTok responded to those concerns back in November. It said that the Chinese government does not have access to user information. It also denied any forms of censorship beyond the app’s guidelines.

We store all TikTok U.S. user data in the United States, with backup redundancy in Singapore,” TikTok said in a statement. “Our data centers are located entirely outside of China, and none of our data is subject to Chinese law.”

Tensions are rising between the U.S. and China, particularly over U.S. support of the protests in Hong Kong. Pompeo tweeted yesterday in support of the region.

With the ink barely dry on the draconian National Security Law, HK authorities are now removing books from libraries, banning political slogans, and requiring censorship in schools. The U.S. condemns these Orwellian assaults on the rights and freedoms of the Hong Kong people,” he tweeted.

In addition, the Federal Trade Commission announces a ban on Chinese telecom companies including Huawei and ZTE, according to BuzzFeed. These bans were also made on the basis of national security

FULL ARTICLE

• Like 1

15 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

Suddenly the US is concerned with the rights of Hong Kong citizens🤣🤣🤣. Then tries to ban tiktok to impose more control on it's own citizens. What a load of jokers 😂😂😂

I guess this is not without reason, and has nothing to do with the US

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tiktok-exit-hong-kong-market-043348488.html

TikTok to exit Hong Kong 'within days'

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dimitriv said:

China banned Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Whatsapp and all other chat apps, Google/Gmail and all western news websites. 

And when the US wants to ban Tiktok you blame them for what???

I really don't understand why the western world doesn't ban Wechat, Aliexpress, Alibaba and all other Chinese websites, television channels etc.  It is strange to let them spread their propaganda, while western news is banned in China.

It also gives unfair advantage to Chinese companies. They can compete with Western apps, while Western companies are banned in China.

Well said👍🏼

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, sezze said:

I do not use it , and neither do i use FB or other social media . I think the generation who grew up with it are a lot more stupid then the generations before .

However , US banning Tiktok has all to do with power , and nothing else . It is 100% same like Huawei , US wants their fingers in everything , banning all the rest .

You don't use FB or social media??? How the <deleted> are you posting this then????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Redvic said:

You don't use FB or social media??? How the <deleted> are you posting this then????

On a ZX81 ?

The United States cannot ban Tik Tok nationwide.  Pompeo can ban the military from using it, and federal workers can be told that they cannot load it on government issued phones, but the government cannot tell Stadtler he can't use it.

Stadtler knows these things as a former prosecutor, judge, and attorney.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tucker Carlson on Tiktok being used to promote Cultural Marxism in the West:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1