Ban on monkey-picked coconut products in UK won’t hurt: shippers’ council

webfact

Ban on monkey-picked coconut products in UK won’t hurt: shippers’ council

By The Nation

800_c0a1b1bc25d2751.jpeg?v=1594124037

The Thai National Shippers’ Council appears to be unfazed by the so-called ban on Thai coconut products in the West, saying getting monkeys to pick the fruit is a tradition in Southeast Asian countries.

Visit Limlurcha, the council’s vice president, said the ban on Thai coconut milk in English supermarkets over alleged animal abuse will not really hurt exports because the ban is only applicable in limited sections. 

“Thai coconut products were banned out of a misunderstanding. Monkeys are like pets for Thai people and banning the products doesn’t make sense because Thailand’s animal-protection laws are stronger than in other countries. If this was the real reason, then coconut products would have been banned a long time ago,” he said. 

However, he said, neighbouring countries like Indonesia and Vietnam will suffer more if their products are also banned because they also use monkeys to pick coconuts. 

Visit did not confirm whether this ban was part of protectionist policies, but the Commerce Ministry has said it will meet with European representatives on Wednesday to explain Thailand’s traditional ways. 

Last year, Thailand’s export of coconut milk and coconut products was worth US$400 million (Bt12.5 billion) and over the past eight years, the export expanded 115 per cent in big markets such as United States, Australia, the United Kingdom and Canada. 

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30390906

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-07-08

Well I have to disagree with the animal protection laws being strong - just look at how they treat elephants.

But I digress....

I only want coconut products picked by slave monkeys.  Nay, I want a picture of the monkey that picked my coconut on the front just so I can be certain that these vile beasts have been put to good use rather than running around spreading rabies.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

My god enough with this monkey and coconut business, the world is drowning in death and misery following this pandemic and other calamities and those twerps out there are making big noises about an animals that are probably treated better than a human worker... 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, pegman said:

All the terrible problems in the world and these English twits pick this to flip out about?

They're all locked up and desperate to find a cause to twitter about.

If the Thai coconut industry depended on monkeys to pick the nuts they'd make about one hundred quid a year, given the number of monkeys I've seen picking in LOS. Far as I know the only money they make is in the tourist industry.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, rtco said:

Really!!! Tell that to all those mistreated elephants then

I think you not have knowledge about the law in Thailand about elephants?

So many law. DNA test from government check about is from wild or not. Transport between province. Veteran check a lot. 

And we not hunt the elephant. 

Not wild elephant must be trained. I agree some way cruel. Can not return to forest. 

I agree some shows push the elephant to much. I agree should not ride elephant. But elephant business improve a lot now. 

Law not allow kill elephant in thailand. 

UK people critisise a lot. Should look themself behaiviour.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._D._M._Bell

He became known as "Karamojo" Bell (sometimes spelt Karamoja) because of his safaris through this remote wilderness area in North Eastern Uganda.

Bell shot 1,011 elephants during his career; all of them bulls apart from 28 cows.

The monkey is minority of coconut business. -10%

Nobody care if UK not buy the monkey coconut. We can sell it to other 194 countrys, is very popular. Thai coconut milk taste the best in the world, because the soil.

We can sell the UK lefty the human coconut. No problem.

Boris girlfriend can use human coconut to eat with Thai Green Curry Dead Cow, the Galangal Dead Chicken Soup and Penang Dead Pig curry.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/10/19/448960760/monkeys-pick-coconuts-in-thailand-are-they-abused-or-working-animals

While Animal Place says it has not actually visited any coconut plantations allegedly abusing monkeys, Marji Beach, the group's education director, tells The Salt that YouTube videos are evidence enough that the animals are cruelly shackled and forced to work.

Schroevers runs the Monkey Training School in Surat Thani, Thailand, a Buddhist-inspired school founded 50 years ago to teach monkeys how to pick coconuts without the use of force or violence. He says Animal Place has it all wrong when it comes to how most monkeys that work on coconut farms are treated.

13 minutes ago, Yinn said:

I think you not have knowledge about the law in Thailand about elephants?

So many law. DNA test from government check about is from wild or not. Transport between province. Veteran check a lot. 

And we not hunt the elephant. 

Not wild elephant must be trained. I agree some way cruel. Can not return to forest. 

I agree some shows push the elephant to much. I agree should not ride elephant. But elephant business improve a lot now. 

Law not allow kill elephant in thailand. 

UK people critisise a lot. Should look themself behaiviour.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._D._M._Bell

He became known as "Karamojo" Bell (sometimes spelt Karamoja) because of his safaris through this remote wilderness area in North Eastern Uganda.

Bell shot 1,011 elephants during his career; all of them bulls apart from 28 cows.

The monkey is minority of coconut business. -10%

Nobody care if UK not buy the monkey coconut. We can sell it to other 194 countrys, is very popular. Thai coconut milk taste the best in the world, because the soil.

We can sell the UK lefty the human coconut. No problem.

Boris girlfriend can use human coconut to eat with Thai Green Curry Dead Cow, the Galangal Dead Chicken Soup and Penang Dead Pig curry.

Word on the street is that the US and Europe are about to follow British retailers and stop stocking or selling Thai coconut products.

You'll learn the hard way, as usual.

The rest of your post is emotional, inflammatory nonsense, as usual.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Yinn said:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/10/19/448960760/monkeys-pick-coconuts-in-thailand-are-they-abused-or-working-animals

While Animal Place says it has not actually visited any coconut plantations allegedly abusing monkeys, Marji Beach, the group's education director, tells The Salt that YouTube videos are evidence enough that the animals are cruelly shackled and forced to work.

Schroevers runs the Monkey Training School in Surat Thani, Thailand, a Buddhist-inspired school founded 50 years ago to teach monkeys how to pick coconuts without the use of force or violence. He says Animal Place has it all wrong when it comes to how most monkeys that work on coconut farms are treated.

When will you understand that animal exploitation for profit is wrong?

• Like 2

Love the Thai way of dealing with it . Instead of addressing the issue and asking what we should do to lift the ban, they ignoring it because others do it. 

and if the ban spreads to other EU countries, what you gonna then?

• Like 1