BANGKOK
webfact

Ban on monkey-picked coconut products in UK won’t hurt: shippers’ council

Ban on monkey-picked coconut products in UK won’t hurt: shippers’ council

By The Nation

800_c0a1b1bc25d2751.jpeg?v=1594124037

The Thai National Shippers’ Council appears to be unfazed by the so-called ban on Thai coconut products in the West, saying getting monkeys to pick the fruit is a tradition in Southeast Asian countries.

Visit Limlurcha, the council’s vice president, said the ban on Thai coconut milk in English supermarkets over alleged animal abuse will not really hurt exports because the ban is only applicable in limited sections. 

“Thai coconut products were banned out of a misunderstanding. Monkeys are like pets for Thai people and banning the products doesn’t make sense because Thailand’s animal-protection laws are stronger than in other countries. If this was the real reason, then coconut products would have been banned a long time ago,” he said. 

However, he said, neighbouring countries like Indonesia and Vietnam will suffer more if their products are also banned because they also use monkeys to pick coconuts. 

Visit did not confirm whether this ban was part of protectionist policies, but the Commerce Ministry has said it will meet with European representatives on Wednesday to explain Thailand’s traditional ways. 

Last year, Thailand’s export of coconut milk and coconut products was worth US$400 million (Bt12.5 billion) and over the past eight years, the export expanded 115 per cent in big markets such as United States, Australia, the United Kingdom and Canada. 

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30390906

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-07-08

Well I have to disagree with the animal protection laws being strong - just look at how they treat elephants.

But I digress....

I only want coconut products picked by slave monkeys.  Nay, I want a picture of the monkey that picked my coconut on the front just so I can be certain that these vile beasts have been put to good use rather than running around spreading rabies.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Are these monkeys badly treated, or is it that they're working for 'free'?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s animal-protection laws are stronger than in other countries.

:cheesy:

and which countries are those?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My god enough with this monkey and coconut business, the world is drowning in death and misery following this pandemic and other calamities and those twerps out there are making big noises about an animals that are probably treated better than a human worker... 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, pegman said:

All the terrible problems in the world and these English twits pick this to flip out about?

They're all locked up and desperate to find a cause to twitter about.

If the Thai coconut industry depended on monkeys to pick the nuts they'd make about one hundred quid a year, given the number of monkeys I've seen picking in LOS. Far as I know the only money they make is in the tourist industry.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, faraday said:

Makes 'em feel good, like they've actually achieved something.

🤓

Makes 'em feel good, superior like they've actually achieved something.

• Thanks 1

It's sanctimonious, they need to look at themselves, & the shambles that is prevalent in UK society.

🐒

• Sad 1