Ban on monkey-picked coconut products in UK won’t hurt: shippers’ council

webfact

26 minutes ago, Okis said:

Wow it has been a constant flipflop since this all started. 

-we dont use monkeys

-we use them but they arent abused

-we dont use monkeys

-Using monkeys is the same as the diary industry using cows

-we dont use monkeys, we use sticks

-You dont understand Thai way of life, monkeys are treated good on farms and are like pets to us

It's almost like you cant trust them

Yeh, funny that innit.

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

He says Animal Place has it all wrong when it comes to how most monkeys that work on coconut farms are treated.

probably better treated than many Thais in the workplace

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Last year, Thailand’s export of coconut milk and coconut products was worth US$400 million (Bt12.5 billion) and over the past eight years, the export expanded 115 per cent in big markets such as United States, Australia, the United Kingdom and Canada. 

Which if they follow suit will stuff your coconut business.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forza2002 said:

OP states Thailand’s animal-protection laws are stronger than in other countries. Thailand may have many laws, unfortunately they are rarely enforced, so it's a bit pointless having them, just for show. TIT...

Like the laws on wearing crash helmets. The laws for the rich are equally strictly enforced and red Interpol Notices issued. The Red Bull heir only has to wait another 7 years to get off scot free.

I'm sure that you could pick the amount of Brits who give a rats about whether their coconut was picked by a monkey right now on the fingers of one hand, I think that Boris's missus must have pulled this one out of the Donald Trump book of diversions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Maybe get all the unemployed bar girls to pick the coconuts instead slave labour monkeys. Actually the British are superior it's a well known fact!

To be born British is to win first prize in the lottery of life........(sounds of trumpet fanfare)

4 hours ago, Yinn said:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/10/19/448960760/monkeys-pick-coconuts-in-thailand-are-they-abused-or-working-animals

While Animal Place says it has not actually visited any coconut plantations allegedly abusing monkeys, Marji Beach, the group's education director, tells The Salt that YouTube videos are evidence enough that the animals are cruelly shackled and forced to work.

Schroevers runs the Monkey Training School in Surat Thani, Thailand, a Buddhist-inspired school founded 50 years ago to teach monkeys how to pick coconuts without the use of force or violence. He says Animal Place has it all wrong when it comes to how most monkeys that work on coconut farms are treated.

Look at how Thais treat dogs ,let them fend for themselves but give a little waste food . Don’t see any Thais take dogs to the vets , most have fleas and other diseases but pretend they are caring . I think the monkeys picking fruit isn’t a problem 

10 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai National Shippers’ Council appears to be unfazed by the so-called ban on Thai coconut products in the West, saying getting monkeys to pick the fruit is a tradition in Southeast Asian countries.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Visit Limlurcha

needs to visit reality on this and drop the head in the sand , a*se in the air stance ..  

What is the problem? In USA, Amish still use horses to work, as many countries used or use horses or cows.

The Eskimo's use dog sledge. Birds of prey are used for fishing (China) or hunting.

Dogs are used by police to bite you, sniffing money, sniffing coke, guiding blind people.

What is wrong using monkeys for coconut picking?  

20 minutes ago, Knocker33 said:

That's the next protest booked for this month. Monkey Lives Matter

If you decide to use that slogan and put it on a placard and hold it up at the next demonstrations

I suggest that on the back of the placard , you write explaining its meaning  

22 hours ago, Yinn said:

I think you not have knowledge about the law in Thailand about elephants?

So many law. DNA test from government check about is from wild or not. Transport between province. Veteran check a lot. 

And we not hunt the elephant. 

Not wild elephant must be trained. I agree some way cruel. Can not return to forest. 

I agree some shows push the elephant to much. I agree should not ride elephant. But elephant business improve a lot now. 

Law not allow kill elephant in thailand. 

UK people critisise a lot. Should look themself behaiviour.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._D._M._Bell

He became known as "Karamojo" Bell (sometimes spelt Karamoja) because of his safaris through this remote wilderness area in North Eastern Uganda.

Bell shot 1,011 elephants during his career; all of them bulls apart from 28 cows.

The monkey is minority of coconut business. -10%

Nobody care if UK not buy the monkey coconut. We can sell it to other 194 countrys, is very popular. Thai coconut milk taste the best in the world, because the soil.

We can sell the UK lefty the human coconut. No problem.

Boris girlfriend can use human coconut to eat with Thai Green Curry Dead Cow, the Galangal Dead Chicken Soup and Penang Dead Pig curry.

"And we not hunt the elephant"  who said anything about hunting elephants? I said "mistreated"! I've been to Nong Nooch and Pattaya Elephant Village and was appalled at the way these majestic creatures were shackled.

"I agree some shows push the elephant to much. I agree should not ride elephant. But elephant business improve a lot now" Since when?

"I think you not have knowledge about the law in Thailand about elephants?" Since when has any law in Thailand been followed?

"UK people critisise a lot. Should look themself behaiviour." What are you implying?

1 minute ago, rtco said:

"And we not hunt the elephant"  who said anything about hunting elephants? I said "mistreated"! I've been to Nong Nooch and Pattaya Elephant Village and was appalled at the way these majestic creatures were shackled.

"I agree some shows push the elephant to much. I agree should not ride elephant. But elephant business improve a lot now" Since when?

"I think you not have knowledge about the law in Thailand about elephants?" Since when has any law in Thailand been followed?

"UK people critisise a lot. Should look themself behaiviour." What are you implying?

In the UK, around 3,000 monkeys are used annually. Much of this use is to develop and test the safety and effectiveness of potential human medicines and vaccines. Primates are also used for studying how the brain functions and in research relating to human reproduction.

4 minutes ago, Yinn said:

In the UK, around 3,000 monkeys are used annually. Much of this use is to develop and test the safety and effectiveness of potential human medicines and vaccines. Primates are also used for studying how the brain functions and in research relating to human reproduction.

Stop buying British made pharmaceuticals then. 

On 7/8/2020 at 9:03 AM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Thailand to ban all American made cars!

Now that is cruel.  He's given the mechanic the wrong tool. He needs a monkey wrench - not a star spanner.  No beating, but this monkey is also going to learn the hard way - the car's engine was only turned off 15 minutes ago, and he's just about to let the monkey remove the radiator cap ............ ouch!