Beatles drummer Ringo Starr turns 80

webfact

Beatles drummer Ringo Starr turns 80

RS_REUTERS.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Reuters

The self-taught drummer anchored one of the greatest bands of all time with his solid beats, quirky fills and down-to-earth persona. As he turns 80, Sir Ringo is celebrating with a live benefit concert.

"Ringo Starr isn't even the best drummer in the Beatles," is the legendary quote attributed to John Lennon that continues to define the legacy of the Liverpudlian musician who joined the Fab Four in 1962.

Known for his "silly fills," Starr's unorthodox style (due, he says, to being left-handed but playing a right-handed drum kit) is also often praised as a key source of the Beatles' unique sound ⁠— ironically, he was also the drummer on John Lennon's first solo record. Often voted among the top drummers of all time, Rolling Stone wrote that "Ringo didn't just ground the greatest band of all time, he helped give their music shape and focus."

Full story: https://www.dw.com/en/beatles-drummer-ringo-starr-turns-80/a-54067516

-- DW 2020 07-08

• Like 2

Keith Moon was the best drummer of them all. Although the most amazing one I've seen a video of, or live, was some young Chinese-American female; in what band I couldn't tell you. I don't know her name. But I've never seen anything like it. She would just look straight ahead with a big smile as if posing for a photo while her drumsticks were all over the place, super-rapid, with a life of their own.

2 hours ago, Dustdevil said:

Keith Moon was the best drummer of them all. Although the most amazing one I've seen a video of, or live, was some young Chinese-American female; in what band I couldn't tell you. I don't know her name. But I've never seen anything like it. She would just look straight ahead with a big smile as if posing for a photo while her drumsticks were all over the place, super-rapid, with a life of their own.

Ginger Baker wasn't exactly a slouch.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Ginger Baker, by a mile. Mike Fleetwood and Phil Collins are way ahead of Moon, in technique and overall impact on the music scene, but Baker was the Master.  

I have to agree, yes, about Baker. And Jack Bruce was a hell of a singer, especially in Born Under a Bad Sign and White Room. Wow--R&B rock never got much better than that. The Beatles were in another genre, not very appealing to me these days (I was 17 in 1967 and was also awaiting the Beach Boys' "Smile," which never came.) Yet another subgenre. I was blown away by some tracks in Ten Years After's "Stonedhenge.' (1969) Remember the Speed Kills track? oh my. "Get on the bahl, boy, let's catch that train and head owne."  That album was worth it for the cover alone. You could stick it on a wall.

Edited by Dustdevil
  • Like 1