U.S. coronavirus cases hit 3 million, stoking fears of overwhelmed hospitals

webfact

1 hour ago, ballpoint said:

I suggest you read my post again.  (And my previous ones on this thread).  I was pointing out that a 0.04% death rate, which others were claiming as no big deal, would equate to more people being infected than actually live in the US.

My apologies, I thought I was addressing the nonsense post by steelepost. 

Edited by heybruce
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ballpoint said:

Given that we know the total death toll is 131,960:

A 0.04% fatality rate would mean an infection count of 329,900,000 people in total. (131,960/(0.04/100))

"The United States 2020 population is estimated at 331,002,651 people at mid year according to UN data".

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/us-population/#:~:text=the United States 2020 population,year according to UN data.

Do the maths...

1 hour ago, ballpoint said:

I suggest you read my post again.  (And my previous ones on this thread).  I was pointing out that a 0.04% death rate, which others were claiming as no big deal, would equate to more people being infected than actually live in the US.

Ok, in this case, 0.04% of 330,000,000 is 132,000, the approximate number of deaths from Covid 19 at this time.  I'm not sure what your point is.

However I agree that 130,000 deaths in less than four months is very much a big deal.  Especially considering that this death count came with flawed but partially successful measures to contain the spread. 

Unrestrained lifting of all measures intended to slow down the spread will have unforeseeable, but undoubtedly deadly, results. The Republican convention next month in Florida, the current national hotspot, could have tragic but ironic consequences.

Edited by heybruce
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Ok, in this case, 0.04% of 330,000,000 is 132,000, the approximate number of deaths from Covid 19 at this time.  I'm not sure what your point is.

My point is that, if the death rate is 0.04% - as some have claimed on here, then pretty much the entire country would have to be infected.  This seems highly unlikely, given that only 9.7% of those tested (between March 1st and June 27th) have been positive.

image.png.77f6701bcb264a4de1c1e2143493cbe8.png

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html

3 million cases and like a few % of those are deaths ... nothing really when you consider 3 million is way less than 1% of the population. Just a case of scaring the living brown stuff out of everyone by the media. There are many diseases and those that will die will die sadly ... check the malaria figures each year. Is it really worth destroying our whole way of life and economy for such small numbers that would probably be gone soon anyhow? The real thing to do for all sane countries is to 86 China ... they are the problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ballpoint said:

My point is that, if the death rate is 0.04% - as some have claimed on here, then pretty much the entire country would have to be infected.  This seems highly unlikely, given that only 9.7% of those tested (between March 1st and June 27th) have been positive.

image.png.77f6701bcb264a4de1c1e2143493cbe8.png

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html

There is death rate as a percent of those infected and death rate as a percent of total population.  The two are very different.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 10:07 AM, johnpetersen said:

Tulsa health official: Trump rally ‘likely’ source of virus surge

President Donald Trump’s campaign rally in Tulsa in late June that drew thousands of participants and large protests “likely contributed” to a dramatic surge in new coronavirus cases, Tulsa City-County Health Department Director Dr. Bruce Dart said Wednesday.

Tulsa County reported 261 confirmed new cases on Monday, a one-day record high, and another 206 cases on Tuesday. By comparison, during the week before the June 20 Trump rally, there were 76 cases on Monday and 96 on Tuesday.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/08/tulsa-trump-rally-coronavirus-353708

So disappointing.

So BLM protestors are immune? They haven't been openly spreading  it.Anyway who cares  BLM are the ones openly breaking the laws they should all be shot 

Edited by BigC