Extension Decision days 14th, or 21st or not?

10 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

No need to go to your home-country (or any other country for that matter) when the Amnesty expires, and your prefer staying in Thailand and meet the criteria.

If you are +50 years of age, or married to a thai national or have thai dependant children, you can apply at your local IO for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement or for reason of family.  In the last month of that 90-day Visa you can then apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on that Visa.

The only problem that could arise when doing so, is that your local IO might not accept your application for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa, when your permission to stay expired and you are presently on the Amnesty-based extension.

So you would need to enquire at your local IO whether they would accept your application, some IOs will do so, while others will refuse to do it (yes, Thailand and consistency - a not very stable combination).

Or ........

Forget all this nonsense and just pay an agent 25k for a 1 year retirement extension, no paper chase required.

Which is what immigration wanted you to do all along.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

The only problem that could arise when doing so, is that your local IO might not accept your application for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa, when your permission to stay expired and you are presently on the Amnesty-based extension

That was my point. Every person decided his/ her route of how to stay here long term. Some went the proper way and got the proper permit/ extension, some went for the continuous short stay. All those who got the long stay permits and extended on time have no problems to stay. Those who chose to use the amnesty hoping the world would return to the pre covid ways now have to face the consequences of their decision. 

I admit that 3-4 months ago no one could predict we'll be in this situation. My son has decided to travel overseas about 4 months ago when most countries were still open and only very few countries had quarantine for returning citizens. 6 weeks into his trip he got into a lockdown and couldn't travel nor return home. He later had to take a very expensive repatriation flight. It was his decision to travel and he paid for the consequences.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Re Post No. 31

If this really is the case, could I apply for a 90 Non-Imm 0 Visa while I'm on a 60-day extension (permission to stay up to 05 Sep 20). This would be preferable to applying for a 1-year extension as I think they are going to ask me to prove 12 monthly deposits of Bht40,000 which I cannot do - this was the reason I changed last October from a 1-year extension based on marriage to the 1-year ME form Savanakhet. I forgot to say that I can now prove 5 months ITT transfers of Bht40,000.

Edited by tommygun809
Forgot to provide important info.

Seems to me I would be looking at flight options. Why does everyone think they have a right to stay in Thailand?  I understand places like Vietnam won’t allow you in but, most other countries will. 

2 minutes ago, tommygun809 said:

Re Post No. 31

If this really is the case, could I apply for a 90 Non-Imm 0 Visa while I'm on a 60-day extension (permission to stay up to 05 Sep 20).

Not without having to leave the country. That was a suggestion as to what immigration could do.

8 minutes ago, erinsf said:

Seems to me I would be looking at flight options. Why does everyone think they have a right to stay in Thailand?  I understand places like Vietnam won’t allow you in but, most other countries will. 

Thai children is my excuse, but I'm OK walking out on them if you think that's the right thing to do.

On 7/8/2020 at 3:14 AM, ubonjoe said:

The cabinet had a meeting today. But no news I have seen about the amnesty.

I think the longer they leave it the greater the possibility of some sort of extension being given but with strings attached.

6 minutes ago, tommygun809 said:

Re Post No. 31

If this really is the case, could I apply for a 90 Non-Imm 0 Visa while I'm on a 60-day extension (permission to stay up to 05 Sep 20). This would be preferable to applying for a 1-year extension as I think they are going to ask me to prove 12 monthly deposits of Bht40,000 which I cannot do - this was the reason I changed last October from a 1-year extension based on marriage to the 1-year ME form Savanakhet.

When you apply for an extension it is based on the Visa type you have at the moment of application and the permission to stay that Visa type provided you on entry.

1 - So if you applied for the 60-day permission to stay (for reason of visiting your family) based on a VisaExempt or Tourist Visa on which you entered Thailand, you would be able to apply at the end of those 60 days for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa, and subsequently apply for the 1-year extension based on that Visa.

2 - But if you applied for the 60-day permission to stay (for reason of visiting your family) based on a ME Non Imm O Visa on which you entered Thailand, you would not be able to apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa because you are already staying here on a Non Imm O Visa.  But you would be able then to apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O Visa.  However, it would involve seasoning of the required funds on your thai personal bank-account for 2 months, in order to meet the 1-year extension of stay financial requirements.

3 - In case you were already staying in Thailand on a 1-year extension of stay based on a Non Imm O or O-A Visa, but you did let the permission to stay date expire during the Amnesty without applying for the 1-year extension, you can still apply for the 60-day permission to stay (for reason of visiting your family).  And at the end of those 60 days you would then again be able to apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O or O-A Visa. However, since that would not be your very first extension, but a re-extension, the seasoning requirements of the required funds on your personal thai bank-account would be 12 months. 

Note: It is not fully clear whether that 12-month seasoning requirement would be applicable looking back from the date of application.  Or whether IO would require that it started looking back from the date your permission to stay expired, which would effectively mean that you would have to show a longer period than 12 months, because it would also have to cover the 'intermediate months' between permission to stay expiry date and actual application date.

On 7/8/2020 at 10:24 AM, DrJack54 said:

That sounds like a kid in a nightclub and they say "last drinks" and you say "but I don't want go home" 

Buy an elite visa.

Some do not want to leave in their original country. It's called relative freedom (on an already small planet). To say "go back to your country" is somehow provocative, or worse.

Elite visa is just dead, unless you are sure to never travel outside again, or are willing to risk all the changing situations about travel.

52 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

Some do not want to leave in their original country. It's called relative freedom (on an already small planet). To say "go back to your country" is somehow provocative, or worse.

Very naive. I'm Australian. Took me many hurdles to take my Thai  partner to Oz. Class 600 tourist visa. If we were married it's not easy process or cheap for her to live there (not that we want to). I have the money to take her anywhere. Personally never been to Europe, UK etc. For me to take her there would be a task. 

Thai get 15 days visa exempt to Japan. We go often. 

Look at the generous options that Thailand offers to many countries with minimal conditions compared to places like Oz.

PS don't make up nonsense terms like "relative freedom on small planet" 

Sounds ridiculous.