NO clarity yet how your local IO will handle the application for a 1-year extension when your permission to stay expired

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Isn't this the same topic?

< removed - see link in post #3 >

Yes it is, but that earlier thread went completely off-topic.

And it generated only one CASE experience - at CM where it seems they applied 'back-dating'

• Like 2

Not sure why you are digging in so hard on this.  You've been pushing this speculation very hard the past weeks. 

There is so far 0 reports of it happening unless you previously was using the embassy letter extension, this far only successful reports regarding doing extensions with a expired non-0 entry stamp. 

Edited by Okis
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

There is a confirmed case of an IO that stated they will refuse an application for a 1-year extension of stay, when your permission to stay already expired and you are now on the Amnesty-extension.

Many Non Imm O holders are in that situation, so definitely important to have clarity on the issue, and there seem to be DIFFERENT approaches being applied at different IOs. 

Please do share that report. 

5 minutes ago, Okis said:

Please do share that report. 

It dates already from beginning of April, but will look for the report (was at IO in Roi Et) and share it here.

Also @ubonjoe and others have consistenly warned to apply for the 1-year extension of stay BEFORE your permission to stay expired, as it is/was not sure whether your local IO would accept your application for the 1-year extension once your permission to stay expired.  And that would force you leave the country at the end of the Amnesty (not a nice prospect with possible mandatory quarantaine and covid-19 insurance).

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Fair enough.

To add, we often get reports of member re their experience today at eg CW obtaining their (for example) annual extension based on retirement. In fact we have had these during amnesty. All the ones I have read applied with current permission of stay.

I would like to see a similar report where someone has done exactly same thing but the application was made after his permission of stay had expired.

All I have read are posts like..."I was doing my 90 report and the io stated.,.....

Which is useless.

One actual factual report would be great and the date of new permission of stay etc.

One would assume it backdated to end of previous permission.

Most recent one, last page of the thread.

I'm doing mine next week aswell, i've already been down and talked to my local IO.

Edited by Okis
  • Like 1

Just now, Okis said:

I'm doing mine next week aswell, i've already been down and talked to my local IO.

Good. If you can find the time a report back how it all went etc would be valuable and which immigration office. 

I will have another read of the thread you pointed out. I thought he had a 60 day extension to visit wife at the time he applied for annual extension.

Also interested in guys on retirement extensions (not married) that allow their POS to end and later apply for annual extension.

Good luck. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Okis said:

Most recent one, last page of the thread.

That Phayao application was the first recorded case in this thread (post #2).

And it is indeed re-assuring that Phayao confirmed they will accept the application for the 1-year extension of stay even after the applicant's permission to stay already expired.

The confirmation by your local IO that your upcoming application for the 1-year extension of stay will also be accepted even when your permission to stay already expired, is another positive case.

But such confirmation is only useful when you also tell which IO you apply at.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

That Phayao application was the first recorded case in this thread (post #2).

And it is indeed re-assuring that Phayao confirmed they will accept the application for the 1-year extension of stay even after the applicant's permission to stay already expired.

The confirmation by your local IO that your upcoming application for the 1-year extension of stay will also be accepted even when your permission to stay already expired, is another positive case.

But such confirmation is only useful when you also tell which IO you apply at.

I've told you that before. Satun. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I would like to see a similar report where someone has done exactly same thing but the application was made after his permission of stay had expired.

A classic case might be that your embassy was closed, thus not being able to obtain your annual income statement affidavit. Possibly Belgium nationals might have an example, as they're now open for business re income letters -- but presumably were closed for awhile -- a period that might have precluded extension renewal due to lack of an income letter. So, when these folks showed up late for extension renewal due to the embassy being closed -- what happened? You gotta believe (well, maybe not) that Thai Imm officials would accept this as a good excuse....

And, that begs the question about folks, pre corvid 19, that showed up several weeks (months?) after their extensions had expired -- and were allowed to renew 'cause they had a legitimate excuse -- like, they were in a coma. Ubonjoe, any such examples in your repertoire?

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

There is a confirmed case of an IO that stated they will refuse an application for a 1-year extension of stay, when your permission to stay already expired and you are now on the Amnesty-extension.

Many Non Imm O holders are in that situation, so definitely important to have clarity on the issue, and there seem to be DIFFERENT approaches being applied at different IOs. 

I would have thought the answer is obvious - don't let the permission to stay expire before applying for the extension. Geez, the application can be made up to 45 days prior.

<removed>

Edited by ubonjoe
baiting comment removed
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If they were on a multiple entry non-o visa they would have to be prepared to apply for the extension by either making transfers into the country or putting money in the bank for 2 months.

@Lacessit And a further point which you seem conveniently to ignore in this connection is that Brits, Aussies and Americans relying on making transfers into the country will, in the absence of any income confirmation service from their respective embassies these days, need to have amassed at least 12 such transfers at regular monthly intervals before applying for their extension. Since this will necessitate them travelling back in time by at least a year in order to set the ball rolling as regards making the necessary transfers, I am sure that they would find it extremely helpful if you could inform them as to how they could contact Dr Who in connection with using his TARDIS for this purpose:-????

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TARDIS

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I did my 1 year extension at beginning of May,the offices were open,

so why not do it,while they were not so busy,have also been doing 

my 90 day reports, another one due next week,will try online first,

if that not working ,just do it by post,don't want to leave anything

to chance.I can just imagine the chaos at IO ,when the amnesty

ends, it's bad enough after ,say a 3 day holiday.

regards worgeordie

Ditto. Did mine in mid-April. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Roi Et stated they wouldn't process a 1 year extension of stay if you didn't apply when due and took advantage of the amnesty extension as an alternative. They considered it as trying to circumvent the system to prolong your stay, when you had no need to leave the Country and could have applied as normal.

A friend in Yasothon arrived March on VE, on the amnesty extension since early April.

Applied for the Non O late April and again they refused because he was on the amnesty extension.

Fortunately he's married to a Thai and they told him provided he returns before the amnesty deadline they will accept his application for a 60 day extension, then accept a Non O application from his permission of stay granted by the 60 day extension.

Many thanks!

Crystal clear case of how it will pan out when applying at the IO in Roy Et for a 1-year Non Imm O Visa or a 1-year extension of stay when your permission to stay already expired..

The answer is NOPE, but there is an escape route if you didn't already use up your 30- or 60-day extension of stay application.

At least there is CLARITY about their stance, which will allow those that need to apply at Roi Et and will be refused because of no alternative extension escape road, to prepare for their next move.

A possible solution could be a temporary relocation to a province where the IO will accept their application for the 1-year extension of stay even when their permission to stay already expired during the Amnesty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

A possible solution could be a temporary relocation to a province where the IO will accept their application for the 1-year extension of stay even when their permission to stay already expired during the Amnesty.

Is that an offer Peter.   :whistling:

Khunhan is in a different Province to Roi Et.   :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Many thanks!

Crystal clear case of how it will pan out when applying at the IO in Roy Et for a 1-year Non Imm O Visa or a 1-year extension of stay when your permission to stay already expired..

The answer is NOPE, but there is an escape route if you didn't already use up your 30- or 60-day extension of stay application.

At least there is CLARITY about their stance, which will allow those that need to apply at Roi Et and will be refused because of no alternative extension escape road, to prepare for their next move.

dont they send someone from IO to check your house? and the time they send this officer is not known if im not mistaken, can be in 3 days can be in 3 months? i asked because im working in nonthaburi and my home is here. my non-o is expired.. so if nonthaburi IO says no i can go khon kaen to my wife house and try in khon kaen

Also if i get 60 days extension.. it counts a valid visa.. can i try 1 year extension then?

thanks

Edited by problemfarang
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

@Lacessit And a further point which you seem conveniently to ignore in this connection is that Brits, Aussies and Americans relying on making transfers into the country will, in the absence of any income confirmation service from their respective embassies these days, need to have amassed at least 12 such transfers at regular monthly intervals before applying for their extension. Since this will necessitate them travelling back in time by at least a year in order to set the ball rolling as regards making the necessary transfers, I am sure that they would find it extremely helpful if you could inform them as to how they could contact Dr Who in connection with using his TARDIS for this purpose:-????

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TARDIS

Well, I'm ignoring that point because I use the 800K method, have done for 8 years. I did experiment with the income method for one year, concluded it was fraught with pitfalls and simply not worth the time and effort.

We would all make different choices if we could travel back in time, so apart from being a cheap shot I don't know how it adds to the thread.

41 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

1 - Dont they send someone from IO to check your house? and the time they send this officer is not known if im not mistaken, can be in 3 days can be in 3 months? i asked because im working in nonthaburi and my home is here. my non-o is expired.. so if nonthaburi IO says no i can go khon kaen to my wife house and try in khon kaen

2 - Also if i get 60 days extension.. it counts a valid visa.. can i try 1 year extension then?

1 - Yes, if you relocate from Nonthaburi to Khon Kaen province, you will then report to IO Khon Kaen.  This might be useful if Nonthaburi refuses your application, when you learned on the Forum that it will be accepted in Khon Kaen.

Don't know about the house-check, but thought that was only applicable during the under consideration period when applying for the 1-year extension of stay for reason of marriage.  And depending on the IO it seems this is very seldom, occasionally or always done, announced or unannounced.

2 - The two cases mentioned in earlier posts (the one at Phayao and the one in Roi Et) did exactly that.  First applying for the 60-days extension of stay for family reasons, and at the end of those 60 days applying for the 1-year extension of stay from that valid non-Amnesty based permission to stay. 

But I would suggest you enquire at your Nonthaburi IO whether they will accept an application for a 1-year extension of stay of your Non Imm O (or O-A) Visa when the permission to stay date has already expired during the Amnesty.  If yes, problem solved.  If no, enquire whether applying after having first done a 30-day or 60-day extension, would be accepted. If yes, problem solved.  If no, consider temporary relocation to apply at a more lenient IO.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1

would be nice if somewhere in the process they remember there are quite a few foreigners on marriage/retirement extension stuck outside the kingdom.

maybe offer them an "amnesty" program to return within a certain time frame, allow use of the expired re-entry permit, and allow renewal of the expired extensions......

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

1 - Yes, if you relocate from Nonthaburi to Khon Kaen province, you will then report to IO Khon Kaen.  This might be useful if Nonthaburi refuses your application, when you learned on the Forum that it will be accepted in Khon Kaen.

Don't know about the house-check, but thought that was only applicable during the under consideration period when applying for the 1-year extension of stay for reason of marriage.  And depending on the IO it seems this is very seldom, occasionally or always done, announced or unannounced.

2 - The two cases mentioned in earlier posts (the one at Phayao and the one in Roi Et) did exactly that.  First applying for the 60-days extension of stay for family reasons, and at the end of those 60 days applying for the 1-year extension of stay from that valid non-Amnesty based permission to stay. 

But I would suggest you enquire at your Nonthaburi IO whether they will accept an application for a 1-year extension of stay of your Non Imm O (or O-A) Visa when the permission to stay date has already expired during the Amnesty.  If yes, problem solved.  If no, enquire whether applying after having first done a 30-day or 60-day extension, would be accepted. If yes, problem solved.  If no, consider temporary relocation to apply at a more lenient IO.

thanks. i will check with nothaburi IO coming week, waiting for my new passport

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

would be nice if somewhere in the process they remember there are quite a few foreigners on marriage/retirement extension stuck outside the kingdom.

maybe offer them an "amnesty" program to return within a certain time frame, allow use of the expired re-entry permit, and allow renewal of the expired extensions......

Applying for a new visa outside of Thailand, or converting a visa exempt within Thailand is not really difficult, is it?

• Thanks 1