Pattaya: Heavy rains leave resort under water, roads impassable

webfact

Pattaya: Heavy rains leave resort under water, roads impassable

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported that two hours of torrential rain in Pattaya early yesterday afternoon left many roads impassable.

Soi Khao Noi, Pattaya Sai 3 and Beach Road all had flooding to a depth of 30-50 cms and serious traffic problems. 

Elsewhere in low lying areas it was even worse - 50-100cms - meaning cars and motorbikes were pointless. 

2pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

One black car was abandoned by its driver and passenger on the road next to the railway, said the media, after the flood water lapped the roof.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-08

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Still it was pretty ferocious; scary too.  I just got past Kao Noi Canal before it came down.

Yeah I was out earlier on Soi Khao Noi, and the railway line bypass rd, and fortunately back home ahead of all this. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Agree, over the last 30+ years countless major projects, many billions of Baht spent, nothing achieved. Some heads should have rolled many times but of course there's no checking, no accountability and probably won't be until the likes of Thanathorn and his replacement get into the PM etc., roles.

But of course there seems to be other very big influences, not only national politics, which won't in the foreseeable future allow thanathorn and his followers to make any gains towards power. 

Sad for Thailand.

I dont follow Governments her but like your other views.

It was up there for the heaviest rain in awhile in a short period.

But, I differ with some on this.  Yes, it floods here badly, but I have been in some of the most modern cities in the world that flood and stay flooded for a period of time.  When it seems to rain a foot in one hour and continues for 4 hours not much can be done.

Sunny clear and beautiful so far today.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ron jeremy said:

World class resort no doubt, the high rollers they are after would surely return after seeing this!???????? great picture for a travel brochure! 

why no jetskis featured in the photos??

only way way to get around this stupid place....when rain falls.....

Thort they had inslalled BIG drains on beach road to stop flooding ???!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, essox essox said:

Thort they had inslalled BIG drains on beach road to stop flooding ???!!!

The Beach Road photo is a fake (sort of - real pic but doctored). It was from a site that photoshops pics to "enhance" them. The same pic was in another thread a few months ago and we tracked down the original photo, which featured much darker water on the road that seen in the pic posted above.

Edited by Kerryd
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

It was up there for the heaviest rain in awhile in a short period.

But, I differ with some on this.  Yes, it floods here badly, but I have been in some of the most modern cities in the world that flood and stay flooded for a period of time.  When it seems to rain a foot in one hour and continues for 4 hours not much can be done.

Sunny clear and beautiful so far today.

True of course however there are many long term residents of Pattaya who have seen countless major projects, most touted as 'the answer' but achieved nothing.

Again, you are right very heavy rain cripples many cities everywhere but the massive corruption amounts of funds used but with no effect is saddening when it could have been used for improvements in education, hospitals and many other infrastructure items. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bodga said:

Ha  same every time, Ford  Ranger, Chevrolet  Colorado  800mm wading depth, problem solved

Colorado - 600mm.

Ranger - 800mm.

The above depths are tested at 7km/h using OEM wheels and tyres.... don't be go sticking on a set of fat 22's and think you can rampage though the flooded soi's at 60km/h cause you gunna be in for an expensive surprise !!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DanielS said:

Beachroad looks ok

353959636_Beachroadclearwater.thumb.jpg.fa796b98bd12959759162622be9510bd.jpg

Dead right. I was at Beach Rd the whole time and saw no flooding. But it is a long road so perhaps there was a bit somewhere else. 

4 hours ago, KhunKenAP said:

Flooding on the railroad track road is normal. Remember it was built by the military under command of the General now the PM.

Case closed.

It also has some very low-lying sections, with steep hills on the dark side :like a water catchment area. Very difficult to prevent flooding there. With the water shortage, maybe they can turn it into a new water reservoir to supply Pattaya with tap water during droughts. 

16 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

With the water shortage, maybe they can turn it into a new water reservoir to supply Pattaya with tap water during droughts. 

Don't laugh - there's another thread where the article in the OP was about how they were considering diverting storm run-off - and water from waste water treatment plants - into the reservoirs.
Raw, untreated storm runoff and water from shi* plants mixed into the town's water supply. Yum yum !