Cambodia to mark 12 years of Preah Vihear Temple as a UNESCO World Heritage Site

geovalin

After a long and contentious struggle, the Preah Vihear temple is set to mark its 12th anniversary of its inscription on UNESCO’s World Heritage List today. On 7 July, the Government of Cambodia is set to organise a ceremony at the Preah Vihear Temple to mark this auspicious day.

The National Authority for Preah Vihear, Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has been making safeguarding efforts to preserve the value and authenticity as an outstanding historical monument, whilst urging international community to continue their assistance to preserve the value of the Temple.

In order to preserve the site, UNESCO has been assisting the government in organising the International Coordinating Committee for the Conservation and Enhancement of the Temple of Preah Vihear (ICC-Preah Vihear), following the model of management of the Angkor World Heritage Site. Commending the Prime Minister’s leadership for the preservation of country’s heritage sites including Preah Vihear temple, Sardar Umar Alam, UNESCO Representative to Cambodia, expressed UNESCO’s commitments for the preservation of rich cultural heritage of Cambodia.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50742088/cambodia-to-mark-12-years-of-preah-vihear-temple-as-a-unesco-world-heritage-site-today/

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

I've been tempted to make another trip to Cambodia just so I can get up to Preah Vihear one day.

I sincerely hope you manage it - a fantastic long day out from Siem Reap. I did the trip back in 2016 whilst in Cambodia. You are quite correct, despite the long flight of steps up to the temple starting at the Thai border, entrance is closed. You can only access the UNESCO site from within Cambodia. All vehicles have to park at a visitor center at the base of the mountain and then having paid the entrance fee you are conveyed by special motorcycle (if adventurous) or special 4x4 up a mind boggling narrow road to the summit and the temple complex. The road is one-way, up during the morning and down during the afternoon. Plenty of cafes and souvenir shops at the summit car park. When I visited, Cambodian soldiers were on patrol and in residence with sandbag barricades facing Thailand. Also present were Cambodian Tourist Police Officers who kindly assisted visitors - in my case as a Thai Tourist Police UK Volunteer, by taking me on the back of a motorcycle up to the temple itself to save my weary old ex-pat legs! If ever you get the chance - do visit!!

Thailand defines Preah Viharn's "vicinity" | Bangkok Post: learning

Cambodia seeks U.N. help in Thai dispute - World news - Asia ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Such a shame this glorious Khmer temple site is still disputed.  If there was any sense, the two nations should agree to share the spoils, and allow full access from both sides.  But I'm not holding my breath...

I was there 15 years ago, when you could enter the whole temple area from the Thai side, and I remember the visit like it was yesterday.  A rainy day, but none the worse for it...

Photos and a brief wrIte-up here:

https://pbase.com/howardbanwell/preah_vihear

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andy said:

Memories...

2003-ish I think, rental dirt motorcycle from Phnom Penh, a few days and a few hundred kms of dirt/tracks to the base, then rode up a crazy steep brand new dirt road to the top (heard you had to climb up prior to that - yikes).  Asked around, slept in a hammock in a hut at the top for $5, then off to Siem Reap the next day.  Some amazing sections of trails with thick forest, hope there are still some trees around there, it was beautiful.

That must have been incredible. I can't imagine what the countryside in Cambodia was like back in 03. Lots of trees missing now unfortunately.