Thailand travel bubble in chaos: Plans for international flights between participating countries put off indefinitely

webfact

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And just how exactly would those researchers be able to state with certainty that the 34% of Berliners they're talking about in their sample had never been in contact with the virus?

BTW, that claim isn't actually being made directly by the author you quoted. It's the author you quoted taking an excerpt out of something that was published elsewhere by others.

They test against stored blood samples from years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

I bet chinese don't want a forced ''holiday''in one of the famous reeducation camps.

By chance these camps don't exists in the ''first world counties''. and it's a big difference

Guantanamo Bay.

Wrong.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Patts said:

You need to chance your username because you are no genius.

Flu mortality is on average 0.01% Corona virus Mortality varies depending on geographical location but on average is considered to be in the region of 3.5% (although it could be lower). Many of those who serve have long term complications including Renal failure and/or diabetes. Hardly comparable to seasonal flu!

And now add this:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-brains/scientists-warn-of-potential-wave-of-covid-linked-brain-damage-idUSKBN24837S

10 hours ago, Rancid said:

In Australia the PM stated that as restrictions eased pockets would continue to pop up, but that was acceptable as the hospitals were ready to deal with it.

Then in Melbourne cases started to pop up, the media started screaming 2nd wave, and the rush for toilet paper restarted. Parts of Melbourne are now under house arrest for 6 weeks. So again we see this is not about easing the burden on hospitals, the idiots are trying to exterminate a virus.

So will be no travel bubble between Oz and Thailand any time soon.

Latest research suggests that a 20% infection rate confers herd immunity, in other words the virus will die out naturally. This news was of course not well received by vaccine makers. The US is in a panic as cases rise, the media is going wild. What they are not reporting in that the death rates have been falling for weeks and continue to do so. Assuming this continues the whole thing should be over within 6 months. If so then we'll all wonder why governments in most countries got it wrong and destroyed their economies.

I think you'll find the 20% is based on 3 cities, Stockholm, New York and London, from June...

Stockholm and London still had social distancing (the report is from before the pubs reopened), and people in NY are still mostly working from home (where they can).

NY already has an R number above 1 again, so herd immunity at 20% doesn't appear to be working there, and let's see what happens in London with the pubs having reopened...

11 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

That "travel bubble" idea was never feasible to begin with. Even if it had panned out, it never would've attracted the foreign tourist numbers those dreamers at TAT and assorted ministries hoped for. Just because Thailand opens up "travel bubbles" for a few nations doesn't mean that everybody is immediately going to hop on a plane. People have different priorities right now than spending tight money on an overseas vacation. And especially not a vacation that basically would restrict them to a clearly defined, restricted area with no freedom of movement outside that "bubble".  That's my opinion anyway.

Yes. And airlines can't turn a profit on their 10-20% resumption of flights if they don't occupy all or most of the seats. Certainly the limited US domestic flights are packed again. I'm not flying anywhere. I'm taking road trips if I really need to get out and travel a bit. 

11 hours ago, BestB said:

1 step forward, 3 steps back.

China should have never been on that list to begin with

it's absurd that the Thai government would even think of "bubbling" with China. How incredibly naive could they be to trust them, or should I say, how desperate they are.

9 minutes ago, bkk_mike said:

I think you'll find the 20% is based on 3 cities, Stockholm, New York and London, from June...

Stockholm and London still had social distancing (the report is from before the pubs reopened), and people in NY are still mostly working from home (where they can).

NY already has an R number above 1 again, so herd immunity at 20% doesn't appear to be working there, and let's see what happens in London with the pubs having reopened...

The current hot zone is Houston, no longer New York.

12 hours ago, steven100 said:

Air Asia shares have been halted as of today and the airline is in financial difficulty.

Real bummer, I need Airasia, the only safe way to go from Buriram to Bangkok and the rest of Thailand.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Real bummer, I need Airasia, the only safe way to go from Buriram to Bangkok and the rest of Thailand.

I agree. I hope they get a bail out or  stimulus package or whatever they want to call it. 

Without air Asia we’ll be very isolated up here in Nan province. I did a bus trip from Bangkok to Nan about 7 years ago and swore to never go through that again!

12 hours ago, Rancid said:

In Australia the PM stated that as restrictions eased pockets would continue to pop up, but that was acceptable as the hospitals were ready to deal with it.

Then in Melbourne cases started to pop up, the media started screaming 2nd wave, and the rush for toilet paper restarted. Parts of Melbourne are now under house arrest for 6 weeks. So again we see this is not about easing the burden on hospitals, the idiots are trying to exterminate a virus.

So will be no travel bubble between Oz and Thailand any time soon.

Latest research suggests that a 20% infection rate confers herd immunity, in other words the virus will die out naturally. This news was of course not well received by vaccine makers. The US is in a panic as cases rise, the media is going wild. What they are not reporting in that the death rates have been falling for weeks and continue to do so. Assuming this continues the whole thing should be over within 6 months. If so then we'll all wonder why governments in most countries got it wrong and destroyed their economies.

"idiots trying to exterminate the virus..." - that says it all.  The original goal of "flattening the curve" was to secure hospital capacity.  For some reason, people started to believe that this approach would remove the virus once and for all, which is not realistic.

In Miami, there seems to be an infection rate of 30-40% of people going to hospitals for anything else than Covid.  Everyone who has an accident, gives birth, has a heart attack is being tested and these high numbers show that the virus is circulating, but that people are not getting sick (or even know that they have it).  

The question is how much damage will have been done to the economy (in other countries as well).  Will there be a fairly quick recovery - or maybe it will be back the a time when each country was isolated and on its own with farming and domestic production and consumption providing the economic output

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Game Program said:

The thing that really makes this worse is that the political nonsense especially in the US, the fake news, is taken seriously by people outside the US and is likely a major driving factor.

Just really <deleted> that corrupt politician's political agendas are making it so that I can't get married, and may actually ruin my relationship and basically like ruin my life, just because some <deleted> want to use this <deleted> to gain power. I'm specifically talking about the US here, so. Just to clarify.

But thankfully there's hope because I pretty much think after the November election all this will likely blow over, at least in the US. and then maybe misinformation won't be keeping me from being able to get married.

It depends on the outcome of the election.  If Biden wins in November, we will hear much more about recoveries from coronavirus and the need to provide jobs for people starting Jan 22, 2021.  If Biden does not win, then this pandemic will last 4 years - or we will get a bogus vaccine.  In any case, we can write off the rest of this year...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ttrd said:

RE - Tourism is done this year too, as predicted.

* Not only this year, but most likely next year as well including realestate -and currency collaps on its way to 2022 where it hopefuly and slowly will start to recover - not only in LOS, but globally ...

This is not the beginning of the the - not even close - rather the end of the beginning ...

If it is, it is.  

People can tout it all they want.  There isn't any tourism coming into Thailand even if the doors were flung open.  Nothing, zero, zilch.  If you indicate that tourism is a bunch of old men expats coming back in they don't count, not by a long shot.

This is the problem with any economy relying too much on tourism.  Or anything for that matter.

And in reality all manufacturing is down.  

People with an ounce of noodle hasn't been looking at scraping the remnants of 2020 with "local tourism".  Were well beyond that.  2021, what's that going to be like?  We have to wait and see if a vaccine is produced.  If not, don't count on anything in 2021 either.  The high winter season for Thailand is already finished and it hasn't even started yet.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rancid said:

What they are not reporting in that the death rates have been falling for weeks and continue to do so.

Hardly surprising - people don't get infected one day and die the next.  The figures over the next few weeks will show whether there really are more cases or whether the steep rises are a result of increased testing.

Can anyone see the irony in practically all other countries experiencing outbreaks (NZ doesn't count as it may as well be in another solar system) and yet Thailand continue's to saunter along with no known new infections? Even China is not averse to putting its hand up lol. Is it really sheer incompetence or complete suppression of available data? Hey, Thailand, we're all in this together so quit the bs and get your cards on the table! :wink:

As long as the rich become richer they aren’t bothered about the unemployed and the misery the lockdown is causing. Try telling the Thai Government to look at it practically, Covid19 Tests with Certs and a $100k Insurance is nigh impossible to get more so Health Insurance for the older tourist. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I think the majority of people with retirement visas are currently in Thailand ?

I think a lot of them ran away to Europe, the US and Australia/NZ thinking things would be better there.

They may have been correct, only time will tell on that, personally I stayed at home which is here in Hua Hin.

• Like 1