Recommendations to fix a broken hinge on laptop

steelepulse

8 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Super glue?

???? really  no  way!!

I had a  dell 15"it was a known fault  I ordered the part and did it myself, as for WHO can do it, well in Bangkok there are  many shops, the one I use "if"  I have to is  in what used to be SERI  CENTRE  next to Seacon Square, top  floor but dont know the name.

4 hours ago, steelepulse said:

Being in Phuket, I think I'll try and look for a local recommended tech.  I've seen some youtube videos, but I'd rather have someone do it that does this on a regular type basis.

A friend of mine had a Toshiba Satellite laptop and both of the hinges had broken on this, and it was a known fault on this particular model. 

Toshiba He was going to throw it away, so I took it from him and did a repair on it, although it is not cosmetically pleasing, it works.

Of course the thing with the laptop hinges is that they activate a switch to shut the computer down or not, as the case may be, so it was not as straightforward as I thought. However I took out the screen and found where the hinges should have connected to the cover and actually drilled a few very small holes through the back of the aluminium cover, used a combination of small screws and glue and put the whole thing back together.

All that you can see on the top of the laptop are two small pieces of silver tape which cover the very small screws, however the whole thing works perfectly and I got a very expensive laptop for nothing – – much better than the cheap HP that I had before, which is now a backup laptop.

If it is a new laptop then it's worthwhile salvaging, but if it's an old one, then perhaps take advantage of some of the offers now available out there. Anyway whatever the case, you have got nothing to lose by having a go at it yourself.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Best option is to get the part, if available,  and do it yourself...

Otherwise, I had an old laptop repaired by a guy on ground floor of central festival, there is a hall with some repair guys, I think last week I saw a few back at work, but many still closed...

• 2 weeks later...