BANGKOK
Surelynot

About to rent a condo unit in Bangkok

Hi,

Does anyone have any helpful comments, guidance, warnings?

I am looking at renting for 12 months (or possibly 24 months if there is a discount).

Do I need legal advice for instance, or are contracts pretty much "run of the mill"?

Are there any headaches getting deposits back at the end of the contract?

All that kind of stuff.

Thanks for any responses.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Do I need legal advice for instance,

for what ?

Are there any headaches getting deposits back. ?

not if you leave the place clean and tidy and respect others property.

strange post .... 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

for what ?

Are there any headaches getting deposits back. ?

not if you leave the place clean and tidy and respect others property.

strange post .... 

...strange post......Not really......never rented in my life and suddenly renting in a foreign country not exactly renowned for the rule of law or any great desire to abide by contracts.

It seems eminently sensible, to me at least, to ask for advice.....but thanks anyway for responding.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

...strange post......Not really......never rented in my life and suddenly renting in a foreign country not exactly renowned for the rule of law or any great desire to abide by contracts.

It seems eminently sensible, to me at least, to ask for advice.....but thanks anyway for responding.

Just go look at places,  if you like somewhere ask how much, offer less .... see what they say,  deposit 1 months rent.  bingo !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

Just go look at places,  if you like somewhere ask how much, offer less .... see what they say,  deposit 1 months rent.  bingo !

You could not be more incorrect.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

You’ve got more posts than some members replying to your Original Post.

Read the current topics regarding renting condos in Thailand and numerous associated problems. 

I suspect you already have. 

Contracts are not run off the mill.

If you are renting in Bangkok, you will most likely go through an agent.

99% of Bangkok agents are not scummy, but one thing tho. Most of the stuff in condos is cheaply made. So a 95kg big azz farang like me sits on one of the cheap chair and breaks it, who's fault is it? Yup, I expect to pay for that. Hit my foot on the bed the other day and it hurt like hell. Some of the plywood fell out. Put it on the tab.

Wallpaper peels off? Not your fault. Washing machine leaks and destroys stuff... probably your fault if you weren't at home and you left it running.

My wife is also a landlady and you betcha she the agent charges for all things destroyed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The first time I rented, I did not use an agent.

Had some issues but did get my deposit back.

I suggest to use a legit agent.  I have done this for the past several years and never had any issues.

Any repairs, aircon issues, etc, go thru the agent always have gotten responses to any problems quickly.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Thanks 1