About to rent a condo unit in Bangkok

Hi,

Does anyone have any helpful comments, guidance, warnings?

I am looking at renting for 12 months (or possibly 24 months if there is a discount).

Do I need legal advice for instance, or are contracts pretty much "run of the mill"?

Are there any headaches getting deposits back at the end of the contract?

All that kind of stuff.

Thanks for any responses.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Do I need legal advice for instance,

for what ?

Are there any headaches getting deposits back. ?

not if you leave the place clean and tidy and respect others property.

strange post .... 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

for what ?

Are there any headaches getting deposits back. ?

not if you leave the place clean and tidy and respect others property.

strange post .... 

...strange post......Not really......never rented in my life and suddenly renting in a foreign country not exactly renowned for the rule of law or any great desire to abide by contracts.

It seems eminently sensible, to me at least, to ask for advice.....but thanks anyway for responding.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

...strange post......Not really......never rented in my life and suddenly renting in a foreign country not exactly renowned for the rule of law or any great desire to abide by contracts.

It seems eminently sensible, to me at least, to ask for advice.....but thanks anyway for responding.

Just go look at places,  if you like somewhere ask how much, offer less .... see what they say,  deposit 1 months rent.  bingo !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

Just go look at places,  if you like somewhere ask how much, offer less .... see what they say,  deposit 1 months rent.  bingo !

You could not be more incorrect.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

You’ve got more posts than some members replying to your Original Post.

Read the current topics regarding renting condos in Thailand and numerous associated problems. 

I suspect you already have. 

Contracts are not run off the mill.

If you are renting in Bangkok, you will most likely go through an agent.

99% of Bangkok agents are not scummy, but one thing tho. Most of the stuff in condos is cheaply made. So a 95kg big azz farang like me sits on one of the cheap chair and breaks it, who's fault is it? Yup, I expect to pay for that. Hit my foot on the bed the other day and it hurt like hell. Some of the plywood fell out. Put it on the tab.

Wallpaper peels off? Not your fault. Washing machine leaks and destroys stuff... probably your fault if you weren't at home and you left it running.

My wife is also a landlady and you betcha she the agent charges for all things destroyed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The first time I rented, I did not use an agent.

Had some issues but did get my deposit back.

I suggest to use a legit agent.  I have done this for the past several years and never had any issues.

Any repairs, aircon issues, etc, go thru the agent always have gotten responses to any problems quickly.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, twocatsmac said:

You’ve got more posts than some members replying to your Original Post.

Read the current topics regarding renting condos in Thailand and numerous associated problems. 

I suspect you already have. 

Maybe a bit lazy, but nothing popped up on a cursory search.....will try again.

3 hours ago, cmarshall said:

The renter has a lot more leverage in Bangkok than in New York City, for example.  The OP can call for additional or less furniture, for example.  Our apartment came with a washer, but we insisted on a dryer and got it.  We also had some of the existing furniture removed.  I have never signed a lease as it was put in front of me.  You should make sure the lease gives a deadline for the return of the security deposit.  It should also spell out that the the landlord is responsible for repairs to appliances and replacement of any appliance that fails.  If the apartment is furnished, the renter or the landlord should make an inventory with a photo of each item which becomes part of the lease.  Lease should specify that renter is not responsible for normal wear and tear of the unit or the furniture.

Basically, you sit down and think about what could go wrong and then edit the lease to protect yourself.

The phrase, "It's a standard lease," is always a lie since there is no standard in Bangkok or anywhere else, for that matter.

THANK YOU.

3 hours ago, cmarshall said:

The renter has a lot more leverage in Bangkok than in New York City, for example.  The OP can call for additional or less furniture, for example.  Our apartment came with a washer, but we insisted on a dryer and got it.  We also had some of the existing furniture removed.  I have never signed a lease as it was put in front of me.  You should make sure the lease gives a deadline for the return of the security deposit.  It should also spell out that the the landlord is responsible for repairs to appliances and replacement of any appliance that fails.  If the apartment is furnished, the renter or the landlord should make an inventory with a photo of each item which becomes part of the lease.  Lease should specify that renter is not responsible for normal wear and tear of the unit or the furniture.

Basically, you sit down and think about what could go wrong and then edit the lease to protect yourself.

The phrase, "It's a standard lease," is always a lie since there is no standard in Bangkok or anywhere else, for that matter.

you seriously think a landlord is going to sit down and have you tell him what you want ?

change the furniture  ?    lol

change the lease contract  ?    lol

I think the OP will be thrown out of plenty of places if he follows your suggestion.  imo

• Haha 1

Thai owners, agents , property developers will leave placed empty for years rather than reduce price ! Because until the city introduces a property tax for empty condonunits, of which there are tens of thousands, nothing will change ! And despite talk that won't happen because the big developers have influence at a high level ! We know the term for that .

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 5:30 PM, bkk6060 said:

I suggest to use a legit agent.

Ha  legit, you  know those legit  agents  turn to the free lancers  to find them rooms,like Frank Knight etc etc all the big  names  just  call up the freelancers often, the commission then gets  split.

On 7/8/2020 at 8:24 PM, steven100 said:

you seriously think a landlord is going to sit down and have you tell him what you want ?

I think the OP will be thrown out of plenty of places if he follows your suggestion.  imo

Its  rare you will speak with the landlord, everything is done through an agent as landlords dont want the hassle of negotiating.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 8:24 PM, steven100 said:

Its  rare you will speak with the landlord, everything is done through an agent as landlords dont want the hassle of negotiating.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 4:04 PM, Surelynot said:

Does anyone have any helpful comments, guidance, warnings?

I have lived in same condo for 7 years. Got lucky as I moved in with Thai gf. She was already living there. We upgraded to double room. Lease is not an issue. Don't need legal advice. Of course had my name added to lease mainly for annual extensions (retirement).

What I have found a great thing is to rent in a place that has NO private owners. 

Our condo management is very strict but that's a good thing.

As for obtaining your deposit (bond) it depends on what type of condo management. Again in our place the tenant does not clean. The management have cleaners and maintenance guys that bring it up to top standard. They often spend a day on it with few workers and that comes off bond.

IMO avoid high rise. 

Also AGAIN avoid places with private ownership along with rentals. 

You mention Bangkok. Make sure it's an easy walk to BTS or MRT.

Good luck

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2020 at 8:13 PM, Surelynot said:

Maybe a bit lazy, but nothing popped up on a cursory search.....will try again.

TV has poor search function. Google search something like ... "Rent condo Bangkok Thaivisa".

Make sure to include Thaivisa. That will bring up many threads about your question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/12/2020 at 9:02 AM, cmarshall said:

As it happens the manager of the condo building approached us a few days ago and asked would we be interested in moving to a duplex apartment in our building.  In the past those duplex apartments have been renting at about 25% above what we are now paying.  So we are now in negotiations. We offered about 10% less than we are now paying for a smaller unit.  We explained to the agent that the current furnishings are not acceptable and she acknowledged that they are indeed old and unsightly, which the landlord understands.  She asked us to make up a list of replacement items which we will do from Ikea.  She thought it wouldn't be a problem.  

I negotiated changes to our current lease before signing and will do so with whatever lease the agent puts before us.  I have never signed a lease as offered.  We did the same with my wife's commercial lease. We have encountered landlords with a take-it-or-leave-it attitude, in which case we leave it.

Our building is one that is marketed to foreigners and Thai high-sos.  By Thai standards at least it is a luxury building.  Right now there are no foreigners entering Thailand and many are leaving.  So, the market for such apartments is exceptionally weak.  We reminded the agent of the current conditions and that we have been long-term tenants in the building.  The agent admitted to us that the unit has been vacant for a year.  

We expect the negotiation to be successful.

YMMV.

Well stated. I'm sure the negotiations will be successful. Now is certainly the time to relocate to a property which before was not so affordable. The market has never been better one can certainly assume. To except any terms provided to the renters even under normal times is just weak. There more vacant properties than there are renters, that is just the norm here in Thailand, and of course the ones trying to get over on the renters are the owners, to assume anything else would be naive. Many interesting points were brought forth in this posting, which I too have made note of going forward, and I thought I had covered everything in my 21 years of renting within Thailand. So I have to time a moment to Thank all the creative posters who have commented and provided some interesting suggestions. 

• Thanks 1