About to rent a condo unit in Bangkok

Rental agreements are usually pretty run of the mill - unless you really want to get technical. Generally Thais aren't.

I've never had a problem with deposit, so as long as you respect the owners property you should be OK.

I'd never go for a two year option. Unlikely you'd get much discount anyway. The problem being that you don't know your neighbours habits till you move in. You may want to move after a year - even if it's just another unit.

Check electric cost. If you're using Aircon you'll notice the difference if its marked up. Better if you can pay directly to the electric company.

Switch on air-conditioning units. Make sure they're not noisy, and that they have been cleaned (have a look at the filter if you can).

Is the outlook and neighbourhood ok? Noisy motorbike taxi drivers hanging out below? They sometimes party. Also any late karaoke bars?

Internet - is it fast enough? Many condo units dont have fibre installed in the building. Also if you are not installing your own, is logging in a nuisance or expensive?

Fitness and pool - check opening times.

Food - can you order/buy conveniently nearby?

Nearest market?

TV - can you get only local channels?

Bed - mattress old and smelly?

Security guards responsive to requests? Or just run away?

Car or motorbike parking spaces full?

Any noisy mosque going to wake you at 5am?

Just s few suggestions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2020 at 4:09 PM, steven100 said:

for what ?

Are there any headaches getting deposits back. ?

not if you leave the place clean and tidy and respect others property.

strange post .... 

it does not matter whether you leave it clean and tidy ? in four moves in 16 years i have never had my deposit refunded without a fuss, and that was two Thai and two Farang's i was renting from. 

The last one told me the Curtains would cost 10,000 Baht to get dry cleaned ?

i had been there for five years and the curtains looked fine to me ?

the wife got them done for a few hundred Baht,

The first said the owner was in Bangkok (this manager did not know i had the owners phone number ) never had any ''yeh ok here's your deposit back'' (but on one with the expensive curtain cleaner) a few weeks after signing i noticed many cigarette burns and found the toilet was not 100% (turns out a house brick to block up the toilet) and all the broken floor tiles plus the cigarette burns were message's i should of read ....not strange but the truth..... have you ever rented?   

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Andyfez said:

Rental agreements are usually pretty run of the mill - unless you really want to get technical. Generally Thais aren't.

I've never had a problem with deposit, so as long as you respect the owners property you should be OK.

I'd never go for a two year option. Unlikely you'd get much discount anyway. The problem being that you don't know your neighbours habits till you move in. You may want to move after a year - even if it's just another unit.

Check electric cost. If you're using Aircon you'll notice the difference if its marked up. Better if you can pay directly to the electric company.

Switch on air-conditioning units. Make sure they're not noisy, and that they have been cleaned (have a look at the filter if you can).

Is the outlook and neighbourhood ok? Noisy motorbike taxi drivers hanging out below? They sometimes party. Also any late karaoke bars?

Internet - is it fast enough? Many condo units dont have fibre installed in the building. Also if you are not installing your own, is logging in a nuisance or expensive?

Fitness and pool - check opening times.

Food - can you order/buy conveniently nearby?

Nearest market?

TV - can you get only local channels?

Bed - mattress old and smelly?

Security guards responsive to requests? Or just run away?

Car or motorbike parking spaces full?

Any noisy mosque going to wake you at 5am?

Just s few suggestions.

Good suggestions.  Have it in the lease that the electric rate is the rate provided by MEA, not marked up.  Also, put in a deadline for the return of the security deposit.  Try to get 15 days, but may have to accept 30 days.  If you extend the lease write out a one year extension stating that all the original terms apply and giving the new start and end dates and the monthly rent amount.  Also, put into the renewal agreement that "landlord acknowledges retention of security deposit in the amount of... refundable per terms of original lease."  

Our original lease is in English and so the extensions are also.  But I don't know if an English language contract is enforceable in a Thai court.  In any case my Thai is good enough now that the next lease I sign with a Thai landlord will be in Thai.

The lease should have a clause that the landlord is responsible for repairing and/or replacing the appliances.

You can't judge the cleanliness of the pool water unless you get in.  So, request that you are allowed to swim in it before you sign the lease.  You should be able to feel with your foot the pressure of the water being pumped up through the floor vents if the pumps are on.  If the pumps are not on, the pool won't be clean, but since electricity costs money some managements are inclined not to turn on the pumps so much.

Will the building handyman fix the a/c, toilet, etc. problems as they arise or will they refer you to the landlord?  These services are critical to enjoying your life in a building.  Once you get in, be nice to them.  Tip the handyman every time he comes into your unit, tip the front desk and security people at Xmas, fruit basket to the office staff.  A little appreciation goes a long way with Thai people.

You don't want a building where pets are permitted.

Thai landlords tend to view property as a store of value rather than as a source of income.  Also, Thais don't seem to focus on inflation, which is low in Thailand at any rate.  Therefore, it is common for Thai tenants of Thai landlords not to have an increase in rent for years, if ever.  I have been able to refuse increases in rent for the past few years even though the landlord asks every year at renewal time.  Landlords with experience with foreigners may have a different expectation.  

Every landlord I have ever dealt with, both in Bangkok and New York City, expected me to sign two original copies of the lease and then wait on him to send back a fully-executed copy.  I have always refused to do that.  I give him two choices: either sign two copies and then wait for me to send him his fully-executed copy or sit down with me and we will execute them together.  No landlord, including the Thai ones, has ever refused to accommodate me when push comes to shove.  Thais don't seem to care that much about the contract.  They are focused on the money.

If you default on the lease, the landlord will seize your security deposit.  It's possible that during the term of the lease you may want to move out even at the cost of the loss of the security deposit.  Therefore, you should put a clause into the contract that says that in the event that you terminate the lease before the expiration date, the landlord's only recourse is to retain the security deposit and that you have no other remaining obligation to him.  Otherwise, you would be liable for the rent for each remaining month on the lease in addition to forfeiting the deposit.

Always, put in a clause that the landlord is obligated to inform you in writing if you are in breach of any terms of the lease and that you have some period of time (2 weeks or one month) to cure and that your tenancy can only be terminated if you have failed to cure the breach during that time.  Otherwise, he can chuck you out on the street with no notice and snatch the security deposit.  

Edited by cmarshall
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2020 at 4:27 PM, steven100 said:

Just go look at places,  if you like somewhere ask how much, offer less .... see what they say,  deposit 1 months rent.  bingo !

actually most deposits are at least two or three months rental ?  i will not bite as this seems like a wind up?

4 minutes ago, zoza said:

actually most deposits are at least two or three months rental ?  i will not bite as this seems like a wind up?

wrong ,  I rented a good place near Asoke for 10+ yrs and the deposit was 1 month.

Cleaned the place before i left and deposit back in full ... no questions asked.

I think it can be a bit of hit & miss with rentals,  some landlords are fine, some are problem.

so it's not a wind up.

sorry, just to add .....  the place i rent now is only 1 month deposit. 

Edited by steven100

Rented three different condos for a year each with thai landlords in Bangkok. Got my deposit back every time. 

biggest mistake was not negotiating harder for my first condo rental of one year. 

sign a one year contract and not a two year. Rates will not be going up. You are in a strong position now with the airports virtually closed to expat renters. 

if you hire an agent remember they will only show you condos they have a under contract to get a payment of one months rental. They will not show you all the condos in the same building for rent. 

leave the place clean and take photos when you move in. Most Thai landlords are honest IMO

• Thanks 2

I will just add an anecdote that shows how strange the renter's world may sometimes be in Thailand.  An agent took us to look at an apartment in a well-known modern building in the CBD.  Along with the agent we met the landlord in front of the building.  When I saw that the landlord never once looked me in the eye, I knew then that I would not rent the unit under any circumstances.  But we went in and looked it over anyway.  After the initial walk-through I focused on all the items in the ceilings of each room such as smoke detectors, sprinkler, light fixtures, etc.  And what do I see mounted on the ceiling in the living room, but a video camera!  And it wasn't concealed at all.  It was mounted in one of the red globes like you see with some external camera mounts.  I laughed out loud in the landlord's face accusing her of thinking we were stupid, all in the rudest Thai I could muster.  My wife was mortified at my language.  The agent affected to be mortified at the situation and the landlord was mad enough to spit.

So, keep your eyes open.

Edited by cmarshall
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/8/2020 at 4:17 PM, Surelynot said:

...strange post......Not really......never rented in my life and suddenly renting in a foreign country not exactly renowned for the rule of law or any great desire to abide by contracts.

It seems eminently sensible, to me at least, to ask for advice.....but thanks anyway for responding.

More specific information about your situation and requirements may result in more useful responses 

18 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

And what do I see mounted on the ceiling in the living room, but a video camera!  And it wasn't concealed at all.  It was mounted in one of the red globes like you see with some external camera mounts.  I laughed out loud in the landlord's face

I find this difficult to believe ..... why on earth would they have a camera ?  and in full view  ?  

are you sure it wasn't something else maybe ...   ?

you mean like this  ;

image.png.efd20da85a3e884624307ebdcce16023.png

Edited by steven100

15 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I find this difficult to believe ..... why on earth would they have a camera ?  and in full view  ?  

are you sure it wasn't else ...

you mean like this  ;

image.png.efd20da85a3e884624307ebdcce16023.png

Exactly like that.  I assume they wanted to monitor their tenants' use of their property.  Could that house anything but a video camera?  The agent helpfully suggested that, if we liked the place, we could just tape up the camera.  The landlord did deny that there was a camera in the globe, but she never answered my question of what else was in there.

Now that I think of it, I guess it could have been the HAL 9000.

Edited by cmarshall
  • Like 1

Some excellent advice regarding having a good contract, taking photos of the condition of the condo contents, etc.  Be detailed and make sure any damage is noted.  If there's a ding on the fridge, note it and photograph it.  If there's a crack in the shower door glass, note it and photo it.  Make sure the contract spells out who pays for what--for utilities, fees, repairs, etc.  Make sure it spells out when and where the rent is paid, grace period, and late fees. 

You didn't mention a location preference in Bangkok but I would look for a rental very close to a subway stop.  My partner and I like the Phetchaburi MRT station area.  Close to the Airport Link and 1 or 2 stops in either direction gets us to malls, Fortunetown, Terminal 21, and so on.  Asoke Pier is also very close to use the canal boats.  Good luck in your search. 

• Thanks 1

I can only describe my experience, having rented a few condos over the years here.

It has always been a two months deposit for me and I have always managed to get it back, though I have heard of cases when some have not been so lucky.

I have negotiated some conditions in the contracts or added some statements that I have found missing a number of times and the landlords have always been accommodative enough to change them.

Similarly, I could always negotiate lower rent than initially quoted and also negotiate for adding or removal of some furniture or household items. I think the key is to be reasonable in your requests and understand that this is a negotiation and both sides might need to compromise. 

Anyway, this is just my experience. I hope it helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You have been provided with a mix of advice regarding leases, owners etc. Right at this moment, I would be in charge of what I was willing to pay on a 1 or 2 year lease agreement. With an astounding amount of empty condos on the market and the continuous building of new ones, my suggestion is to deal with owners first. What ever the monthly amount is, start by offering half the amount first. Use your negotiating skills as this is a renters market. Offer, counter offer will eventually lead to a meeting of the minds. You are in control, so use your position be firm and if there is no agreement on the price of say, a 2 year contract, just shake your head and head to the exit. There are 50,000 empty units available in Bangkok. Use that advantage in your favour. Bye, Chok dee Kop! May I suggest an area I find desirable? For me it is the On Nut area. I was in a condo unit 150 meters from the Sky Train. Plus the entrance to the mall connected to the station had a Lotus in it and other shoppes. Super convenient on the way back home. Did some shopping upon my return in Lotus and a brief walk home. Choose your location wisely for local flooding during Monsoon Season. Best of Luck to you!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SinCityGr8One said:

You have been provided with a mix of advice regarding leases, owners etc. Right at this moment, I would be in charge of what I was willing to pay on a 1 or 2 year lease agreement. With an astounding amount of empty condos on the market and the continuous building of new ones, my suggestion is to deal with owners first. What ever the monthly amount is, start by offering half the amount first. Use your negotiating skills as this is a renters market. Offer, counter offer will eventually lead to a meeting of the minds. You are in control, so use your position be firm and if there is no agreement on the price of say, a 2 year contract, just shake your head and head to the exit. There are 50,000 empty units available in Bangkok. Use that advantage in your favour. Bye, Chok dee Kop! May I suggest an area I find desirable? For me it is the On Nut area. I was in a condo unit 150 meters from the Sky Train. Plus the entrance to the mall connected to the station had a Lotus in it and other shoppes. Super convenient on the way back home. Did some shopping upon my return in Lotus and a brief walk home. Choose your location wisely for local flooding during Monsoon Season. Best of Luck to you!

Many Thai landlords do have a mindset that they would rather leave their rental empty than lower the price ....  similar to sales i guess.   just saying.

8 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Many Thai landlords do have a mindset that they would rather leave their rental empty than lower the price ....  similar to sales i guess.   just saying.

Indeed... We wanted to rent a place closer to our sons school. We found a decent house, but it was in dire need of decorating and was over priced. It had been empty for a year. 

The landlady wouldn’t negotiate, the place is still empty. I’m still getting messages from the agent asking if I wanted the place up to 1 year later - so its now been empty for 2 years instead of accepting a rent which was lower than the asking price, but reasonable given the area and the going rate of other houses in the same complex. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/8/2020 at 10:04 AM, Surelynot said:

Hi,

Does anyone have any helpful comments, guidance, warnings?

Find your Area. Know your price Limit. Know the going rates at places in the specific area. 

I am looking at renting for 12 months (or possibly 24 months if there is a discount).

I have received discounts in the past for a 2 year contract. 

Do I need legal advice for instance, or are contracts pretty much "run of the mill"?

Contracts are generally run of the Mill. Agents such as RELAX can be helpful. 

Are there any headaches getting deposits back at the end of the contract?

I have never had an issue (6 or 7 rented apartments in Bangkok). BUT, many report issues with a Landlord who won’t return the deposit. 

Take LOTS of photos when moving in. Document any existing damage and have the landlord sign off on the noted damage. 

All that kind of stuff.

Thanks for any responses.

Lots of helpful agents out there.

Bangkokcondorentals are very good.

RELAX have been very good.

If you give these companies your list of specific requirement they will come back with places to view. 

Always look at photos first thought as sometimes agents waste your time taking you to view a place which doesn’t fit your criteria. 

It's also common for agents to list lots of properties which are not available. This is because the agent is contacted by an owner to list a property, but not contacted again to remove the listing if the property is rented out via another agent. 

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed... We wanted to rent a place closer to our sons school. We found a decent house, but it was in dire need of decorating and was over priced. It had been empty for a year. 

The landlady wouldn’t negotiate, the place is still empty. I’m still getting messages from the agent asking if I wanted the place up to 1 year later - so its now been empty for 2 years instead of accepting a rent which was lower than the asking price, but reasonable given the area and the going rate of other houses in the same complex. 

just shows how uneducated they are ....   she could have rented it for a few years and at worst lost 100,000 from her original asking but make 280-220k ....    you can't teach stupid.

11 hours ago, Gee Ku said:

Is there a particular area you have in mind? Best area is the Silom area. I know a mid-range condominium called Silom-Surawong Condominium. Call 0818513488 to enquire.

Got it down to Sukhumvit soi 11 and across the road to soi 8. Hyde 11 looks nice. We are considering a 10th floor apartment there with balcony.....facilities are first class.