About to rent a condo unit in Bangkok

7 hours ago, SinCityGr8One said:

You have been provided with a mix of advice regarding leases, owners etc. Right at this moment, I would be in charge of what I was willing to pay on a 1 or 2 year lease agreement. With an astounding amount of empty condos on the market and the continuous building of new ones, my suggestion is to deal with owners first. What ever the monthly amount is, start by offering half the amount first. Use your negotiating skills as this is a renters market. Offer, counter offer will eventually lead to a meeting of the minds. You are in control, so use your position be firm and if there is no agreement on the price of say, a 2 year contract, just shake your head and head to the exit. There are 50,000 empty units available in Bangkok. Use that advantage in your favour. Bye, Chok dee Kop! May I suggest an area I find desirable? For me it is the On Nut area. I was in a condo unit 150 meters from the Sky Train. Plus the entrance to the mall connected to the station had a Lotus in it and other shoppes. Super convenient on the way back home. Did some shopping upon my return in Lotus and a brief walk home. Choose your location wisely for local flooding during Monsoon Season. Best of Luck to you!

Analysis paralysis......decided to focus on Khlong Toei area, soi 11/soi 8......you are correct the choice is ridiculous 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Find your Area. Know your price Limit. Know the going rates at places in the specific area. 

I have received discounts in the past for a 2 year contract. 

Contracts are generally run of the Mill. Agents such as RELAX can be helpful. 

I have never had an issue (6 or 7 rented apartments in Bangkok). BUT, many report issues with a Landlord who won’t return the deposit. 

Take LOTS of photos when moving in. Document any existing damage and have the landlord sign off on the noted damage. 

Lots of helpful agents out there.

Bangkokcondorentals are very good.

RELAX have been very good.

If you give these companies your list of specific requirement they will come back with places to view. 

Always look at photos first thought as sometimes agents waste your time taking you to view a place which doesn’t fit your criteria. 

It's also common for agents to list lots of properties which are not available. This is because the agent is contacted by an owner to list a property, but not contacted again to remove the listing if the property is rented out via another agent. 

Brilliant...cheers. Am talking as it happens with Relax agent!!

I have 2 x 36 Sq Fully Furnished in Jomtien Pattaya For Rent or Sale I used an Agent after i Purchased them & they have their own Rules, As I work off shore I came back & the Tennant moved down a few Floors in the Complex, Some of my furniture went missing & all I got was Solly Boss, Anyway no more Agents or Brokers,

My Condo's are now vacent again due to my Western Tennants went back to their own Country before the Lock down, Good Luck finding a Condo in BKK as many to chose from.

• Thanks 1