Same-sex marriage in Thailand coming soon

Oxx

The Bangkok Post has reported that same-sex marriage has been endorsed by the cabinet, and that same sex couples will be able to register their marriage and have the same rights as different-sex married couples.  Rights covered include adoption and inheritance.  

This is big news.

Of course it will still need to pass a vote in the House, but (fingers crossed) that should be a formality.

I rather hope that this means that the British Embassy in Bangkok will be allowed to legalise civil partnerships.

• Like 1

Thailand teeters on the edge of modernity.

I shall have to propose to my Thai b/f who is already my Oz certified partner. As we can see in the current plaguetime, being actually married here & recognized by the bureaucracy has certain advantages (much as in Oz where they're mostly financial).

As long as we don't have to go thru the Khmer village wedding ceremony again ...

Edited by mfd101

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

The Bangkok Post has reported that same-sex marriage has been endorsed by the cabinet, and that same sex couples will be able to register their marriage and have the same rights as different-sex married couples.  Rights covered include adoption and inheritance.  

This is big news.

Of course it will still need to pass a vote in the House, but (fingers crossed) that should be a formality.

I rather hope that this means that the British Embassy in Bangkok will be allowed to legalise civil partnerships.

If same sex marriage is legalised in Thailand, it would be nice if Thailand would recognise same sex marriage or Civil Partnerships from other countries, for those whose spouse under that, is not Thai.

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Jakob Clements said:

Thailand has always been known for its tolerance . I think such a law should be implemented long ago

The sheer fact that such a law was not implemented years ago speaks to intolerance at the heart of power.

Note that the British Embassy here (technically foreign territory) doesn't perform civil partnerships or marriages for gay people because of the objections of the Thai authorities.

6 minutes ago, Oxx said:

The sheer fact that such a law was not implemented years ago speaks to intolerance at the heart of power.

Note that the British Embassy here (technically foreign territory) doesn't perform civil partnerships or marriages for gay people because of the objections of the Thai authorities.

All embassies are required to follow the laws of the countries where they are. Hence the inability to perform such in Thailand and all other countries where gay marriages are not recognised.

This being said, there is not such a proposal in Thailand. It is "merely" a Civil union. If passed, the bill might allow different Consulates to celebrate same sex union

1 hour ago, alyx said:

All embassies are required to follow the laws of the countries where they are.

Simply not true.  Why do you think, for example, that Assange was allowed to stay in the Ecuadorian embassy in London for years? It was because it was sovereign territory and as such not subject to the laws of England.

Whilst Vietnam has allowed same sex weddings since 2015 (albeit without giving any legal recognition or rights), the British Embassy there has been performing same sex civil partnerships (and latterly marriages) there for years.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Motoko said:

Will this affect citizenship by marriage? I'm just curious.

Generally, marriage has nothing directly to do with citizenship.   If you marry a Thai, you do not become a Thai citizen.  Your Thai spouse will most likely have anything to do with him being able to get citizenship in your country, but check with your Embassy/Foreign Ministry/Dept of State on that issue.  

A spouse will usually get preference for resettling if they meet all the criteria.  Most countries give preference to a spouse and minor children in resettling, but again that doesn't usually translate to citizenship.   

• 3 months later...

Happy to have come across this topic. I am looking to teach (probably at an International School) in Bangkok within the next year, but I am wondering what the implications of Thailand not recognising same-sex marriage are if I was looking to move abroad with my partner? Even if this did pass (which I certainly hope it does - and it's long overdue), it wouldn't apply unless one or both of the people are Thai. So how do foreign gay couples move abroad together? If marriage was the only technicality then that could easily be dealt with, but it's not. They would, presumably, not get the same spousal preference to stay in Thailand? So does this mean they would have to secure work in Thailand which would enable them to stay in Thailand separately? If anyone has direct experience on this, I would love to hear from you, which can be via PM to avoid cluttering this thread. Thank you in advance.

I have read that some LGBTQ+ groups are concerned this does not go far enough to bring legal rights and inclusion for those who identify in the LGBTQ+ categories and that it will hinder any future progress as support fizzles out. I can see their concern, but I would like to look optimistically and see this as an important step towards inclusivity for LGBTQ+ in Thailand and an important moment in advancing LGBTQ+ rights in Asia  - hopefully encouraging similar (albeit probably slow) changes in conservative Asian countries.

12 hours ago, Joshuarrr said:

I am wondering what the implications of Thailand not recognising same-sex marriage are if I was looking to move abroad with my partner

Thailand doesn't recognise same sex marriage, so you and your partner are considered separately.  If your partner is over 50 he could apply for a retirement visa (but couldn't work).  He could enter on a tourist visa and then look for work which would allow him to change the basis for being in Thailand so allowing him to stay long term.  Or your partner could apply for one of the long term visas under the (expensive) Elite scheme, or for a visa based upon investment (minimum investment 10 million baht).

So, there may be options.  You may wish to post in the "Thai Visas" subforum for confirmation/other alternatives.  Your situation isn't specifically gay-related, but is a general issue for unmarried foreign couples in Thailand.

• 2 months later...

The headline of this topic is not turning out to be at all true.

Gay union partnerships in Thailand take a step backwards - Pattaya Mail

Gay union partnerships in Thailand take a step backwards

Although a parliamentary bill to legalize same sex unions was approved by the Thai Cabinet last July, procedural delays and spirited opposition are making progress difficult. The bill in its present form would allow the adoption of children for legally-registered couples (at least one of whom must be a Thai national), underpin inheritance rights and allow joint management of property assets.

However, the bill does not recognize actual gay marriage, excludes workers’ welfare and tax deduction rights in employment and does not allow a change of gender from that described on the birth certificate.

• Thanks 1