cat got into a fight.

Hi,

My cat got into a fight with a big tomcat over a week ago. The next day her paw was swollen so we took her to a vet. This is about 24 hrs after her fight. There was a puncture wound that was infected and the vet squeezed the pus out and dressed the cat, gave her an injection and a course of pills. We give her a pill 2 times a day and return to the vet every 2 days. Every time, the same. The vet cleans the wound, dresses the paw and asks us to return in 2 days.

After a week and 2 days I thought that this must be the last time surely but there is still blood and we had to buy new pills, a new dressing and instructions to return in 2 days.

My question is this, is it normal for a foot wound to still not be healed after a week and a half? There was still blood and she isn’t putting weight on it. I’m wondering if we could just keep her home and let it heal by itself.

She’s eating and there is no temperature. She still sleeps with us on the bed and enjoys affection.

Im very grateful for any advice, we are a little concerned for her.

I wouldn't worry too much yet. I'm assuming that the vet is giving her some antibiotics to fight the infection. Their pads are very coarse and hard and if the puncture wound was deep, she's probably picking up dirt into the wound just as she walks around, which isn't helping it heal.

Now I know for a cat having the vet put a dressing on her paw will be difficult, but it might be a treatment avenue to look into.

Our tabby got into a few fights when we lived in Thailand which worried the Hell outta me.

When we moved back to the US and transitioned her to a house cat, got her a brother to play with, lets me sleep better at night

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

A week and half is  a bit slow .we have a lot of cats, and they are often coming home with cuts etc ,I just give them an antibiotic injection ,and a painkiller , never used tablets, and we use a Jensen Violet spray ,or Tincture of Iodine  on the infection they soon heal .

You could use the Jensen Violet /Iodine your self ,a dressing will probably be needed cats and dogs for that will lick at a wound and lick off Iodine ect .