Condo parking space not available

Is it normal for owners not living at the condo to park their car on a covered parking area while the owners living at the condo have no space to park. The condo has around 82-84 units, maybe 10-15% owner occupied, there is only 7-8 covered parking spaces, all other other parking is open area, no coverings. I understand any owner has the right to park, first come first serve but here that's not the case, out of the 7-8 covered spaces only 1 is available to be taken on the first come first serve basis, all other spaces are taken by people (owners) who don't live at the condo, they own a unit, they come park their cars or friends/relatives cars as well, yes some have 2-3 and 4 cars.

They park and leave the cars there for 3-4 months at the time. Sometimes they come and switch cars, meaning have somebody removing the previous car and immediately occupy the supposedly empty space, if anybody try to take the space nobody can as they block you, is this selfish or it's it normal here, this is not only Thais, also some westerners married with Thai and living in another city do that. Manager at the place don't say or do anything because afraid they may speak back at them.

14 minutes ago, blackcab said:

If the parking is unallocated then owners have an equal right to park as set out in the buildings rules and also possibly according to their square meter ownership of their unit(s).

Owners can park for an unlimited amount of time. Owners can choose to park where they wish if the space is unallocated, in either covered or uncovered spaces.

Those with several cars may well own several units or own several units within their family.

Owners do not have to reside in their unit in order to avail themselves of their car parking rights.

I did acknowledged they have the right, the questions was more about being selfish knowing other owners live at the condo and can't park, the majority of them use 2-3 spaces but only have 1 (one) unit, if they leave the car for 3-4 months why not park a the open area, so the people living there, when going shopping and coming back with the groceries they don't have to walk under the rain or walk an extra 50-60 meters, 2-3 owners living there have/own 3 and 4 units, 1 car and no space, I do understand your point thought, but it just looks unfair and selfish, but that's my opinion,

3 hours ago, Mavideol said:

the questions was more about being selfish knowing other owners live at the condo and can't park

Thais don't think about the consequences of their actions, in this way they just differ from us western people.

3 hours ago, Mavideol said:

why not park a the open area

It's better for the vehicle to not be exposed to the elements.

Usually condos have limitations as to how many vehicles per unit may park. You can ask at the office how many vehicles they allow, and if there are people exceeding it you can complain to them. If they will act upon your complaint is of course another question.

Depends on the office regulations agreed by the co-owners. In our condo we have allocated one car spot allowed per 60 sqm of condo size. You need a key card to enter the covered car park. Anyone parking in the wrong place gets towed to an outside public parking area.

• Thanks 1

I live in a condo complex here in Central Pattaya. Strange thing - every evening all parking spaces are occupied. Easy explanation - the guards make some extra money... 

The manager isn't doing his or her job not wanting to be spoken back to isn't an answer or solution if that is the case then you need to take matter into your own hands and go above their heads. There are rules and a reason as to why there are only 7-8 spaces covered?  The answers are there you just need to dig is there owner schedule meeting or board meetings?  These are items people forget when buying in Thailand it is as important as the price in my opinion.

AFAIK condo car parking works by the principle possession is ten-tenths of the law. Although a person who owns only one condo and occupies two parking spaces is in breach of that, which is a matter for condo management to correct.

Unless the OP's sale contract or other document stipulates he is entitled to a covered parking space, IMO he is SOOL.

On 7/8/2020 at 5:33 PM, Mavideol said:

I did acknowledged they have the right, the questions was more about being selfish knowing other owners live at the condo and can't park

Not their problem. So, no problem. 

1 hour ago, Nemises said:

Another reason not to buy in Thailand, especially when renting is so much cheaper than in the West. 

Buying in Thailand is plain stupid. Agree with you there.

• Thanks 1

It's a common issue. If you are an owner then you can raise the issue at the AGM. If you are a tenent then you could ask the owner of your unit to raise the matter. From experience where I own my condo it's unlikely to make any difference. New condo units often show xx% parking in the advertising to show how many spaces relative to units. 

On 7/8/2020 at 5:33 PM, Mavideol said:

I did acknowledged they have the right, the questions was more about being selfish knowing other owners live at the condo and can't park, the majority of them use 2-3 spaces but only have 1 (one) unit, if they leave the car for 3-4 months why not park a the open area, so the people living there, when going shopping and coming back with the groceries they don't have to walk under the rain or walk an extra 50-60 meters, 2-3 owners living there have/own 3 and 4 units, 1 car and no space, I do understand your point thought, but it just looks unfair and selfish, but that's my opinion,

Selfishness and unfairnessis not regulated by written rules, by-laws or agreement. I park where I can and am grateful that I have a car to do so. I have an umbrella in the boot and my 5-star problems are left in the bin.

• Sad 1

This is  all about the control of common area.

The use of common area is controlled by Rules and Regs.

With my building the underground car park is not covered by Rules and Regs

When the building was new I -in conjunction with the then building manager introduced a Parking Permit system i.e a Sticker System. The deal -each condominium Title deed had  an allowance of 1 and car and 2 motorbikes.

Notices are placed in the area stating that  parking permits are required.

This system has has been effective every since.  Condo Opened 2007

Does it work - Yes. Is it legal  -No

The  current manager and security guards think that it is legal.

It works because co -owners have no knowledge of the law.

Suggest that  your committee introduce something similar

4 hours ago, Delight said:

This is  all about the control of common area.

The use of common area is controlled by Rules and Regs.

With my building the underground car park is not covered by Rules and Regs

When the building was new I -in conjunction with the then building manager introduced a Parking Permit system i.e a Sticker System. The deal -each condominium Title deed had  an allowance of 1 and car and 2 motorbikes.

Notices are placed in the area stating that  parking permits are required.

This system has has been effective every since.  Condo Opened 2007

Does it work - Yes. Is it legal  -No

The  current manager and security guards think that it is legal.

It works because co -owners have no knowledge of the law.

Suggest that  your committee introduce something similar

thanks, I did proposed something similar, a parking sticker  but mostly Thai owners didn't accept it, mainly the guy (they said he's a hiso) has one of his workers staying at his place, the work has 2 cars/trucks parked there and the owner has 3 cars parked and not moving for the last 3-4 months.