China converts Hong Kong hotel into new national security office

snoop1130

China converts Hong Kong hotel into new national security office

By Yanni Chow and Donny Kwok

2020-07-08T074259Z_1_LYNXMPEG670HP_RTROPTP_4_HONGKONG-PROTESTS-CHINA-SECURITY.JPG

Workers work on a board after the opening of temporary national security office, in Hong Kong, China July 8, 2020. REUTERS/Tyrone Siu

HONG KONG (Reuters) - China opened its powerful national security office in Hong Kong on Wednesday, turning a hotel near a city-centre park that has been one of the most popular venues for pro-democracy protests into its new headquarters.

The office, which operates beyond the scrutiny of local courts or other institutions, will oversee the Hong Kong government's enforcement of the sweeping national security legislation that Beijing imposed on the city last week.

The legislation gives its agents, operating openly in the global financial hub for the first time, enforcement powers.

It allows them to take suspects across the border for trials in Communist Party-controlled courts and gives them special privileges, including that Hong Kong authorities cannot search or detain them, or even inspect their vehicles.

It was unclear how many mainland agents will be stationed in the former Metropark Hotel, a 266-room, 33-storey building in the shopping and commercial district of Causeway Bay, near Victoria Park.

At the opening ceremony, chief of the security office Zheng Yanxiong said he would enforce the law strictly "without infringing on the legitimate rights and interests of any individual or organisation".

Luo Huining, head of China's Liaison Office in the city, Beijing's top representative office, said the office was "the gatekeeper of national security" and people who loved China and Hong Kong welcomed it.

"Those with ulterior motives and who are anti-China and seek to destabilise Hong Kong have not only stigmatised the office, but also smeared the legal system and rule of law in the Chinese mainland in an attempt to stir up unnecessary worries and fears among Hong Kong residents," Luo said.

RED LINE

The new security law has pushed China's freest city onto a more authoritarian path and drawn condemnation from some Western governments, lawyers and rights groups.

It punishes acts of secession, subversion, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces with up to life in prison. Police have arrested at least 10 people, including a 15-year-old, under it for suspected threats to China's national security.

Critics fear it will crush coveted freedoms in the Chinese-ruled city, while supporters say it will bring stability after a year of sometimes violent protests that plunged the former British colony into its biggest crisis in decades.

Hong Kong and Beijing officials insist rights and freedoms would remain intact, but say national security is a "red line". The new security legislation has already started to change life in Hong Kong.

Hong Kong authorities on Wednesday banned school students from singing "Glory to Hong Kong", the unofficial anthem of the pro-democracy protest movement.

Secretary for Education Kevin Yeung said students should not participate in class boycotts, chant slogans, form human chains or sing songs that contain political messages, referring specifically to the popular protest anthem.

Books by some pro-democracy activists and politicians have been removed from public libraries. The "Liberate Hong Kong! Revolution of our times" slogan is now illegal. Activists have disbanded their organisations or fled. Shops have removed protest-themed products and decorations.

Chief Executive Lam has said the security law was mild compared with that of other countries, without naming them, but pro-democracy advocates say its contents are vague and worry about Beijing authorities having final interpretation rights.

In a reflection of the widespread unease over the legislation, major U.S. internet companies including Facebook, Microsoft, Google, Twitter and Zoom have announced they have suspended the processing of requests for user data from the Hong Kong authorities while they study it.

The United States has begun removing Hong Kong's special status in U.S. law as Washington no longer deems the global financial hub sufficiently autonomous from mainland China.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-07-08

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The legislation gives its agents, operating openly in the global financial hub for the first time, enforcement powers.

It allows them to take suspects across the border for trials in Communist Party-controlled courts and gives them special privileges, including that Hong Kong authorities cannot search or detain them, or even inspect their vehicles.

that's it, simple as dictatorship can be,... they can do as they please, wohowwww foreigners in UK most feel very safe

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, chilli42 said:

The protesters must be pleased with themselves.  The fruits of their hard work have come to pass.  They did not know this would happen ... idiots. Hong Kong is owned by China lock stock and barrel so they can do as they please and nobody will deny them.  The protests gave the Chinese the pretext they needed to speed up the process.  

In the same way, if Taiwan pro independence government rocked the status quo of the political status, it will give China the excuse to use force. Hong Kong and Taiwan are non negotiable sacrosanct issues. 

9 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

Let there be no doubt about the intentions of the CCP.  So how many consumers globally will continue to buy Made in China?

Yep, quality goods at a good price.

How is your Chinese made keyboard?

10 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

Let there be no doubt about the intentions of the CCP.  So how many consumers globally will continue to buy Made in China?

That ship has already sailed. 

With western countries closing manufacturing facilities in favor of manufacturing or sourcing consumer goods from China over the past few decades, there's often no alternative to buying Chinese products.  Take a look around your local shops at the selection of consumer goods - how many items are made in China with no competing or similar item made in your own, or any other western country?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Traubert said:

Yep, quality goods at a good price.

How is your Chinese made keyboard?

Sad; isn’t it, Traubert. Sad that people will ignore the atrocities done by the CCP, like the genocide of Uighur Muslims, so they can keep buying their cheap c***. 

• Like 2

On 7/8/2020 at 8:26 PM, Morch said:

And don't protest.

And don't criticize the PRC. And it's leadership.

And don't possess reading material.

And don't access this or that website.

And watch what you say, and to whom.

Etc.

But you already knew that, before chiming in with the usual deflection.

And don't criticize the CCP from anywhere in the world.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rkidlad said:

The CCP certainly are non-negotiators when it comes to their citizens' freedoms and basic rights. I see the new law in Hong Kong could technically put a ban on Hong Kongers leaving. They can freeze their assets, etc. Well, let's be honest, they can do whatever they like to them. They own them now.

Which takes me to a great idea I heard. How about we do a swap? For every amazing Hong Konger who made Hong Kong what it was and who wants freedom of expression and basic human rights, we can do a trade. They give the West 1 freedom-loving Hong Konger and we give them 10 Western goons who enjoy censorship; who wanna live in an authoritative communist paradise. 

It's a win-win situation. 

China policies for external migration is actually quite liberal and thousands from mainland and Hong Kong leave without much red tapes. Your fear is really unfounded. Millions have settled in US and almost 30% got their green cards. Those who migrate to SEA countries like Singapore made it to permanent residents if qualified. What irks China are countries like UK and Australia are they are offering fast track citizenship to make a political statement. That is an insult to China and therefore raised their annoyance out loud to these countries. Your proposal for swap is therefore redundant as the Chinese are free to immigrate to any countries as long as they have the proper travel documents. They can keep their western goons who will be more at liberty to own guns and not wear masks.     

16 hours ago, DB58 said:

I think that the people of Hong Kong lived with freedom so long that the protests were just humans trying desperately to keep their freedom. Sad that they never really had a chance to win, or so it seems. Turn out the lights, the party is over...

They certainly protested as much as possible. Don't see how they could have done more. I worry that Taiwan will be next in their sights now that CCP has overcome Hong Kong.

I have never been to Hong Kong or mainland China but have been to Taiwan. To see what is happening to the Hong Kong people is extremely sad. Imagine yourself in their situation, having stability and feedoms removed and a fear imposed that at anytime you can be arrested simply for opposing the CCP. Think about the economic consequences for the territory too. Under control of CCP will it still be such a favoured place to do business? What if you cannot even access Google and other sites? As a Brit I would welcome 3 million Hong Konger BNO passport holders and what they would bring in term of youth and industry to the UK (although it would be an overwhelming logistal nightmare at first).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

It may have been liberal before, but it ain't liberal now. The Hong Kongers who made Hong Kong so much more successful than China through their short history did so with a completely different system. China knows they're gold and doesn't want all the good ones leaving. This new law allows the CCP to do whatever they like with no oversight or rule of law. That's why the CCP are angry some nations are offering Hong Kongers a route to their citizenship. That's not a very liberal attitude from the CCP, is it? 

Again, we should do a swap. Censorship-loving goons in the West who want to live in a communist paradise can go over in droves. We will take their best and freedom loving ones.

You keep tooting the CCP horn, Eric. The same regime that's committing Uyghur Muslim genocide. 

I am just correcting misinformation and perhaps expressing my own opinion. China has their own political system which is different from the west. Both are not perfect. None need tooting. US has a human rights issues just like China. There is a cultural genocide of the Uyghurs; not genocide the way you try to insinuate. China is concern with national security dilemma with the ISIL linked Uyghurs fighters just like US with ISIL threats and locking them up in Quantanamo detention camps without trial. Hong Kong economy is only about 3% of China GDP and not overly major 'gold' contributor like you try to claim. China have plans to replace Hong Kong with Shenzhen. There are no laws to stop Hong Kong citizens to emigrate and those who can will do so and 0.6% left in 2 quarters of last year. Still more than usual but not in large numbers. Again your swap is not necessary and you can keep your goons. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-06/china-doesn-t-rule-out-blocking-hong-kongers-leaving-for-u-k

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/02/china-could-prevent-hongkongers-moving-to-uk-says-dominic-raab

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/07/02/china-hints-tough-action-stop-hong-kong-residents-leaving-uk/

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/07/chinas-national-security-law-in-hong-kong-hk-details-new-powers.html

Funny, there are countless articles about how China will actively seek to block Hong Kong's finest from leaving. Being able to travel freely is a basic right. Are you beginning to see why Hong Kongers want out?

Oh, I'm not talking about Trump supporters, etc, being swapped. I'm talking about people in the West who admire the CCP system. Who want censorship in their homes and to live in a communist utopia. The ones who hate freedom and want tighter controls. If Hong Kong begins to lose their best citizens, they will need to replace them. Why not replace them with people who wanna be a part of that system. They can then show the world that an authoritarian communist paradise is the best system regardless of who's under it's control.

Again, it's a win-win situation.

Oh, even if it was a cultural genocide (it most definitely isn't) that's okay with you? 

I admire you for consistently trying to make a case out of nothing. I am sure you familiar with political tit-for-tat. UK up the diplomatic ante by offering rights for Hong Kong citizens to move to UK and China retaliate with their own brinkmanship. Notice that it's only targeted at UK and not other countries in which emigration is going on as we speak. Nice piece of switcheroo on the genocide insinuation. Maybe you can tell me whether native Americans cultural assimilation is cultural genocide. The native Americans said it is. There are many reasons why Hong Kong citizens leave beside the new law and will continue to do so but not in large numbers. They leave because of housing issues, stress, high costs, air quality but those who have the mindset to adapt will stay. The best in the business world are not leaving. There must be something enticing in the political system that keep the emigration numbers so low. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I admire you for consistently trying to make a case out of nothing. I am sure you familiar with political tit-for-tat. UK up the diplomatic ante by offering rights for Hong Kong citizens to move to UK and China retaliate with their own brinkmanship. Notice that it's only targeted at UK and not other countries in which emigration is going on as we speak. Nice piece of switcheroo on the genocide insinuation. Maybe you can tell me whether native Americans cultural assimilation is cultural genocide. The native Americans said it is. There are many reasons why Hong Kong citizens leave beside the new law and will continue to do so but not in large numbers. They leave because of housing issues, stress, high costs, air quality but those who have the mindset to adapt will stay. The best in the business world are not leaving. There must be something enticing in the political system that keep the emigration numbers so low. 

If they’re not leaving, there’s no need to be making threats. 

Again, you okay with cultural genocide? 

On 7/9/2020 at 11:12 AM, Isaan sailor said:

My rough estimate....many.

On 7/9/2020 at 11:24 AM, chilli42 said:

The protesters must be pleased with themselves.  The fruits of their hard work have come to pass.  They did not know this would happen ... idiots. Hong Kong is owned by China lock stock and barrel so they can do as they please and nobody will deny them.  The protests gave the Chinese the pretext they needed to speed up the process.  

I don't know how foresighted the protesters were. The way I understand it, the protests morphed over time into more than what they were initially about. Something like that happens quite often (see the current situation in the USA). As for giving the pretext, that might be. Then again, I wouldn't put it past the PRC to manufacture or nurture such pretext.

• Like 2