Phuket restaurant in hot water over charging tourists high prices

snoop1130

On 7/8/2020 at 7:06 PM, Oziex1 said:

Trying to make up for a few bad months.

No, this is the same Phuket I quit visiting in 2003, always targeting the short term holidaymakers with scams. 

Pattaya became a better 2 week vacation even with the <deleted> beach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Same thing happened to me a long time ago on a southern island.

Caught a very nice red snapper on a day trip (4-5kg) and returned to our resort.

We asked them to cook it up (understood charge involved, based on experience was expecting 200-400) and that kitchen/restaurant staff could share the other half, as no way we could eat it all. We ordered some side dishes and drinks as well.

Was somewhat surprised when the bill arrived and we were charged a cooking fee of 2,000 (plus half a nice fish ???? ).

To be fair, we spoke with the resort owner in the morning and said we could pay what we felt was reasonable, so I duly gave him 200 !

14 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

So why did the victim have to apologise?

Obviously because by transparently and truthfully highlighting the shady behaviour of the restaurant on social media, they made them lose face ???? 

So am i right to think if tourists are charged a premium the police will invite the perpetrators in for a talk, but what will happen after the talk,

if they overcharge you don't go back and tell them you will post on social media what scumbags they are it may only be a few baht but it is a form of racism

When the customer complained we reduced the price 2-3 times, if any other Thais complained in the past we always offered a reduction 10%-20%

Rip-off merchants, hike up the bill and if they pay were ok, if not knock a bit off.!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“misunderstanding” of a local restaurant charging a Thai tourist B3,000 just for cooking the seafood meals ordered, not including the ingredients.

That's Not an Misunderstanding, It's a Normal Rip off .

People must learn to ask the All In  price in Before Ordering. 

Same as when one goes to Parks an Venues  ,Ask the Thai price and the Farang price .Judge accordingly Go in / Go somewhere else / Go Home .:jap:

you can google "seafood bangkok tourist ripoff" and it's FUNNY how farangs pay 10,000 baht for their meals.  it really could happen to anyhow IF this is your first time to Thailand, and you want to be nice and trust everyone.  

8000 baht for one piece of lettuce, old fake crab meat and a coke.  

we have all been ripped off a little bit.  20 baht here, 100 baht there.  and then some restaurants give us way too much food.....whatever.  

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

When the customer complained we reduced the price 2-3 times, if any other Thais complained in the past we always offered a reduction 10%-20%

Rip-off merchants, hike up the bill and if they pay were ok, if not knock a bit off.!

But only price reduction for complaining Thai's. I'm sure International Tourists would never get this reduction......