DCD says first wave of COVID-19 pandemic in Thailand has ended

snoop1130

8 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Wait till the US delegation arrives tomorrow and not required to isolate for 14 days

which is mandatory for every other country.

Can't post a link because I am not allowed to mention the website.

Unbelievable that.????????????

14 hours ago, steven100 said:

oh great   !   now what about the 2nd and 3rd wave ... are we good to go  !

thanks chief .....

Me thinks eventually most will become immune to it as herd immunity spreads, just the other day I saw a video that interestingly enough said that if anyone had previously been exposed to one of the four coronaviruses before, like H1NI and others which is about 60% of the world's population, then they would be immune to it, meaning that the world only needed 30% more of the people to be infected with this virus for it to literally be stopped in its tracks.

Now we can believe what we want, but when I dig deeper into my own paranoia, looking for answers, I see governments around the world coming out as winners in the end, why, because I guarantee you they will be lifting the GST or the Vat or whatever it's called in their countries, for example, if the Australian government lifted the GST to 15% from 10% that 5% increase is actually a 50% increase on the GST, now multiply that over what they made the previous year from the goods and services tax and I reckon they will stand to make around 225+ billion dollars in the first year, and we know that these taxes don't come down, they only go up, and of course the reason for such an increase would be because they have to recoup what they outlayed to contain the virus, but once that is done, you won't see the GST going down, and all this time everyone is focusing on Bill Gates and his vaccine....lol  

If my paranoia is correct, then this has got to be the best scam in history ????

Edited by 4MyEgo

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Bangkok is where I Live. Today was a day I never expected to see here in Thailand. Complacency has kicked in because of the 4 day weekend I presume.

Complacency's  kicked in because Thailands government is boasting to the world that it has achieved 44 days without any local infections, possibly in some vain attempt to get some kind of world recognition that it can use as a marketing ploy later.

People being people now are tying to resume a somewhat normal life after 3 months of lockdown.

As for wearing masks in public it's still not a bad idea, given that PM2.5 levels will now be escalating in it's place.

• Like 1

meanwhile in a country far far away, Bozo the Clown still refuses to wear a mask and says 99% of corona cases are not that bad, while thousands and thousands of people in that Great Country croaked in make shift tent hospitals. you cant make that stuff up.

Edited by herwin1234
  • Like 1

So much talk over nothing 

58 deaths of mostly very old people 

All most all infected people returned home 

And they stopped Thailand 

Destroyed the economy and the tourist industry 

Total mess over nothing 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, herwin1234 said:

meanwhile in a country far far away, Bozo the Clown still refuses to wear a mask and says 99% of corona cases are not that bad, while thousands and thousands of people in that Great Country croaked in make shift tent hospitals. you cant make that stuff up.

It's true that vast majority of corona cases are not that bad.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

or taking off a Thai girls bra to find it's mostly stuffing and push up lol.

Test the merchandise in the showroom before buying, mate.

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

I can't be the only one who thinks that what's going around the world right now is the second wave of a mutated version of something which was 'doing the rounds' late last year.

Many countries reported a huge increase of respiratory illness in Q4, 2019. I've read reports of 10 times the usual number of hospital admissions in the UK in December but it doesn't appear to have been the same illness we now know as COVID-19 - I think it was a previous strain.

They would not have known this is something different in December because it was most likely a much milder form of the virus.

If it mutated in December / January in Wuhan then that would begin what we're seeing now and also go a long way towards explaining the massive numbers of people who are largely immune from this, because they were exposed to the previous and less harmful version.

Don't write this off, it's been around far longer than anyone knows so far.

My sister had this very severely late last year Nov/Dec. Thought to die and still not back to normal. 

Her daughter (my Neice) and hubby went down with it too. The problem with your theory is that Neice and hubby had very bad covid 19 in February so we're not immune. 

I guess also that many blood samples were taken last year too. 

Hopefully at least they can come up with a confirmed date for the opening ceremony of the 2nd wave.

This raging galaxy destroying virus has most likely learnt from the first attack and will change its tactics.

Be alert and look forward to the 2nd wave new normal.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Paiman said:

Hopefully at least they can come up with a confirmed date for the opening ceremony of the 2nd wave.

This raging galaxy destroying virus has most likely learnt from the first attack and will change its tactics.

Be alert and look forward to the 2nd wave new normal.

About 14 days from the kneejerk date of opening up the borders. My guesstimate is they'll fold in September. Doesn't look like any antibody therapies or vaccines are ready by then.

13 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

And see the tourist sector unemployment go out of control, and continue to have daily food handouts to the needy until the world is free of this virus, by that time Thailand would be in real financial trouble. 

Some experts who are posting their mental sh.. on this forum seem to think that a cold beer, a forum to post nonsense and being bored day by day would make everybody happy. 
Sometimes i feel like they enjoy to watch people in biggest financial trouble queing up for free food. Perverts they are !

If airborne particles are less than 5 microns as suggested then paper masks are completely useless against the aerosol.  The accent in confined areas ought then really to be on ventilation/filtration.

Lockdowns/social distancing measures in all forms are highly damaging to the economy.  The main point is you do them only when required.  Right now, they are not needed at all.

Thailand is highly vulnerable, and because of its stance will be plagued by this problem for many years imo.

A simple solution is to protect the elderly- countries which failed to do this have experienced a larger number of deaths; the UK is the prime example.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wombat said:

RE: the article you linked to, a quote from it....

Dr Joan Ramon Villalbi of the Spanish Society for Public Health and Sanitary Administration told Reuters it was still early to draw definitive conclusions.

"When it's just one result, you always want more data, more studies, more samples to confirm it and rule out a laboratory error or a methodological problem," he said.

Cross contamination, mislabeling of samples, poor record keeping.  It's incredibly odd to have a single positive test result from one point in time that is surrounded by lots of negative test results before and after that point in time.

Eventually it should be possible to trace back the origin of the virus to a time/place of fair certainty, and how it spread across the globe, but single test results like this don't mean anything.

In fact, in terms of tracing, they've already pretty much done that in terms of pinpointing it to China.  If you're interested....

https://nextstrain.org/narratives/ncov/sit-rep/en/2020-05-15

Executive summary

We analyzed 5,193 publicly shared COVID-19 genomes. By comparing these viral genomes to each other, we can characterize how SARS-CoV-2 is evolving and moving around the world. This week, we focus on viral mutations. We cover:

• Where viral mutations come from (they're normal)
  • The rate of mutation in SARS-CoV-2 (very typical)
  • How many strains of SARS-CoV-2 are circulating (as far as we know: 1)
  • How geography and epidemiology contribute to perceived differences in viral genotypes (this is tricky)

image.thumb.png.9ea3ff159b9980be7c8b9900e6dc69e9.png

While it's always possible that an older parent strain turns up later as research into it's origins continue, but as of now all roads point to Wuhan as the original source.

More on how they do this kind of research:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/04/200409085644.htm

https://phys.org/news/2020-04-genetic-barcode-rapidly-revealing-covid-.html

16 hours ago, Thunder26 said:

I don't know where you live, but the restrictions are still in force. You can't do the shopping without a mask. The fans are not allowed to watch team sports, schools actually banned them at the moment. As you can see the restrictions are still there ????

In BKK, lots of people have been taking masks off in malls after getting their temperature check done.  Not good.

13 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Is this the 1st wave that is similar to opening up a packet of Lays and finding hardly any crisps or taking off a Thai girls bra to find it's mostly stuffing and push up lol.

58 dead and 3200 ish infections and a -8.1 drop in GDP.

It could just as easily have been 580 dead, 32,000 infected.  Or 5,800 dead, 320,000 infected.  Or more.  With the same, or worse, drop in GDP.

Or, put another way...  In the US, there were big outbreak in NYC, Pacific NW, CA....  NYC shut the city down a bit too late but they finally managed to get it under control.  Pacific NW and CA too.  But now it's roaring back in CA because they relaxed too soon.  And in other parts of they US it was all fake news and a plot to sabotage the president.  Now they've got...

image.png.263c096f58c86f575c98aff44ffb1a50.png

image.png.a0a45a7f18563f94e41b5fe5a3d4f5ba.png 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, asiacurious said:

While it's always possible that an older parent strain turns up later as research into it's origins continue, but as of now all roads point to Wuhan as the original source.

Nextstrain uses GISAID as data source, that's genomes decoded in labs around the world. For earlier ancestry, samples would have to be from some storage that hasn't been tested before. Unless there's a leak, China won't go there, it would show the virus was circulating a lot earlier and they covered it. They might find some in SEA if they look hard enough.

Edited by DrTuner

LONDON (Reuters) - JUNE 19, 2020 Scientists in Italy have found traces of the new coronavirus in wastewater collected from Milan and Turin in December 2019 - suggesting COVID-19 was already circulating in northern Italy before China reported the first cases.

The Italian National Institute of Health looked at 40 sewage samples collected from wastewater treatment plants in northern Italy between October 2019 and February 2020. An analysis released on Thursday said samples taken in Milan and Turin on Dec. 18 showed the presence of the SARS-Cov-2 virus.

Samples positive for traces of the virus that causes COVID-19 were also found in sewage from Bologna, Milan and Turin in January and February 2020. Samples taken in October and November 2019 tested negative.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-sewage/italy-sewage-study-suggests-covid-19-was-there-in-december-2019-idUSKBN23Q1J9

9 minutes ago, SkyFax said:

LONDON (Reuters) - JUNE 19, 2020 Scientists in Italy have found traces of the new coronavirus in wastewater collected from Milan and Turin in December 2019 - suggesting COVID-19 was already circulating in northern Italy before China reported the first cases.

The Italian National Institute of Health looked at 40 sewage samples collected from wastewater treatment plants in northern Italy between October 2019 and February 2020. An analysis released on Thursday said samples taken in Milan and Turin on Dec. 18 showed the presence of the SARS-Cov-2 virus.

Samples positive for traces of the virus that causes COVID-19 were also found in sewage from Bologna, Milan and Turin in January and February 2020. Samples taken in October and November 2019 tested negative.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-sewage/italy-sewage-study-suggests-covid-19-was-there-in-december-2019-idUSKBN23Q1J9

Does anybody have some sewage from Wuhan stored, vintage, say, Sep-Nov 2019? 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

The only governments that would be happy with continual lockdowns, poorer populace and less tourists would be military based ones and Thailand is far from .......Oh, no, wait a minute, forget that 

Dictatorships love Covid, it gives them the excuse to do anything they want to control the plebs.

Edited by Henryford
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ukrules said:

I can't be the only one who thinks that what's going around the world right now is the second wave of a mutated version of something which was 'doing the rounds' late last year.

Many countries reported a huge increase of respiratory illness in Q4, 2019. I've read reports of 10 times the usual number of hospital admissions in the UK in December but it doesn't appear to have been the same illness we now know as COVID-19 - I think it was a previous strain.

They would not have known this is something different in December because it was most likely a much milder form of the virus.

If it mutated in December / January in Wuhan then that would begin what we're seeing now and also go a long way towards explaining the massive numbers of people who are largely immune from this, because they were exposed to the previous and less harmful version.

Don't write this off, it's been around far longer than anyone knows so far.

Lots of expats around my way and self had a really bad flu that lasted a couple of weeks in dec' last year. To put it nicely it was the most productive flu I've ever had

Hand towel instead of hankie and coughing up a very large amount of phlemm.

Fits your theory or maybe co-incidence.

It's an interesting idea.

• Like 1