Amnesty - Comments from Richard Barrow

anchadian

The period of time allowed to foreigners until July 31 is Not an Extension. A visit to my Immigration Office a few weeks ago to get a simple Certificate of Residence to get a bank loan extended Was Refused by the Chief I/O. He said I cannot - you are not under any Official Extension therefore I cannot sign any document you would get if you were under an Extension. 

Folks there are Long Stay people affected too. Thousands of people on Non Imm. Multi-Entry B and O Visas who have been cut off from performing legally allowed Border Runs / Border Bounces to gain another 90 days allowed under Immigration law. The Thai Border is still closed. And Thailand does not have control of neighbor country borders nor any control of regional countries' entrance restrictions by air.

Actually another Amnesty "extension" or whatever they will call it would be okay... But it would obviously be better. - if we could cross borders same as before with no 14 day Quarantine on either side, no super costly Covid Insurance, no mandatory Covid Tests... just waive all that.
For just border runs the neighbor countries could cooperate by having a Border I/O walk a batch of Passports to a halfway point between Checkpoints - hand them off to the neighbor Border I/O - get them stamped and return to the halfway point... A fee could be charged.
Nobody crosses the border. This was actually done at Ranong shortly before Myanmar closed its border.  It worked well.

• Like 1

For those who think it's better to visit nearest immigration office and apply for visa extension before July 31, you might wanna wait and see the official government announcement. 

Government is not stupid as to immediately waive visa amnesty and cause chaotic queues at immigration offices. They will have to fully open International airports or borders before recklessly stop visa amnesty.

Dont waste your 1900 baht for getting 30-day visa ahead of everybody just because you wanna avoid crazy queues. 

4 hours ago, JDGRUEN said:

Actually another Amnesty "extension" or whatever they will call it would be okay... But it would obviously be better. - if we could cross borders same as before with no 14 day Quarantine on either side, no super costly Covid Insurance, no mandatory Covid Tests... just waive all that.
For just border runs the neighbor countries could cooperate by having a Border I/O walk a batch of Passports to a halfway point between Checkpoints - hand them off to the neighbor Border I/O - get them stamped and return to the halfway point... A fee could be charged.
Nobody crosses the border. This was actually done at Ranong shortly before Myanmar closed its border.  It worked well.

I dont think they could be bothered

(or organised enough) to bring in new procedures at all the borders.

If there are ample flights going out,

IMO they will probably give y'all

another 30 days to simply

"Get your visa matters in order".

After that, you risk overstay.

Thai Immigration will probably take the stance:

"If you need to do border runs, then you are either on the wrong visa, or dodging around the requirements for the various permissions of stay"

We heard enough

"you stay to long Thailand"

And wanting foreigners to fly back to their own countries to get visas..

Now Covid gives them the ideal chance to force (some) of us OUT

If it was me, and i didnt want to (or couldnt) qualify for extensions of stay

in-country, then on worse case scenario, 

id be getting prepared to fly home.

For many, it will either be fly home,

OR grease the wheels, pay through the nose with an agent.

Then one will always be wondering how long will they allow the agents free reign, before another crackdown.

Sad and unsure times. I wish you all luck.

• Like 1

It would be much easier as we did in KSA a run to the border exit, stamp, and turn right round and re enter, no need to enter another country. Job done. No need to for other requirements, Thailand has updated their information. This could also be done at every immigration offices in the country. No charges and paperwork and location of all visitors updated. We wouldn't have to do it, if the financial requirements were not so hard.  Lived here 16 years and just cannot find the requirements any more, due  having a family to support. and the fact work has become harder to get, now I am over 60. The one golden light from the virus was no backpackers, have made employers re look at the over 60's and I have got a job with decent pay again! and can stay working in the country I have called home. Now I just want to do my visa run, and not fly out!