Trip Report to CW *today* to Extend Non-O ME spousal visa

1 hour ago, PiMi said:

Something more... one of the agents that provide this service told me that I could not extend my visa because I was in amnesty. They also wanted 35k baht to complete the process without showing 400k baht in a Thai bank.

It was a "law firm" agent - right?  I couldn't get any of the regular-agents to help, even though I have a work-permit and proven-income - just that same fee/cost from a "law firm," who evidently has the "connections" to deal with the district-level.  Note that it costs 10K Baht more for Thai-family based, because those get extra scrutiny - the district-level sign-off - a nice little earner for that guy.

Good news on them allowing a 60-day to start as late as July 31 - though I would go a few days before that (could be a mad-house).

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

The OP is a bit confused because he did not do his border hop in June because of the borders being closed, his visa is not expired because he is covered by this amnesty and only needs to wait for the borders to re-open and the Thai government to lift the amnesty and tell everyone how many days they have to leave Thailand (do a border run) and get his 90 day stamp on return to Thailand. His visa is still current until the listed expiry date written on it. Stay away from immigration and immigration agents because they will just take your money when you don't need to pay them. You only apply for your 60 day extension a couple of days before your last 90 day stamp expires. If you use your visa correctly you will do a border run 2 days before your visa expires and that way you get another 90 days then 2 days before that stamp expires you apply for your 60 day extension. Doing this you actually get 17 months out of a 12 month visa and it is legal. 

Edited by Russell17au
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I am covered by this amnesty until the amnesty is lifted when the borders are re-opened.

My advice. Do what the OP did. Eliminates need to exit Thailand.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

My advice. Do what the OP did. Eliminates need to exit Thailand.

That is your opinion. You do what suits you and I will do what suits me and what has suited me for a few years now

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

That is your opinion. You do what suits you and I will do what suits me and what has suited me for a few years now

The OP is not confused, but did take the correct steps to ensure that he won't be forced to leave the country at the end of the Amnesty.

Under normal circumstances doing a border-run or applying for the 1-year ME Non Imm O marriage Visa in Savannakhet or HoChiMin City, would be a very worthwhile option/alternative.

However, with the current border-situation it is well possible that hopping the border once they have opened up again might invoke mandatory quarantaine at both sides of the border, mandatory and expensive covid-19 insurance, additional documents like health-certificates etc.  Not to mention the mad-house you will encounter at the border in the last days of the Amnesty.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

I'm on annual extensions based on retirement from non O. So no need to exit Thailand. 

No dog in this fight.

My post is to suggest that anyone guessing borders open and amnesty situation and requirements to reenter Thailand etc is making a mistake when a bullet proof option is available. You state.,.

"I will do what suits me and what has suited me for few years now" 

I had to read that couple of times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

The OP is not confused, but did take the correct steps to ensure that he won't be forced to leave the country at the end of the Amnesty.

Under normal circumstances doing a border-run or applying for the 1-year ME Non Imm O marriage Visa in Savannakhet or HoChiMin City, would be a very worthwhile option/alternative.

However, with the current border-situation it is well possible that hopping the border once they have opened up again might invoke mandatory quarantaine at both sides of the border, mandatory and expensive covid-19 insurance, additional documents like health-certificates etc.  Not to mention the mad-house you will encounter at the border in the last days of the Amnesty.

The OP chose that path when he applied for a Non-Imm "O" Multi Entry visa which is a 1 year visa which I have and he is required to leave Thailand every 90 days to get a new 90 day stamp in his passport, but because of the borders being closed he was unable to do the border run and get a new stamp like many of us have not been able to do so he is covered by this amnesty until the Thai government state that it is lifted and all those affected are required to leave Thailand by a set date. His visa is not expired, it is still valid until March 2021. The borders will not be opened until it is safe for the free travel of all peoples without any hindrance. You do not know what is going to happen and when the borders are going to open and the amnesty lifted. Don't scare monger because you do not know

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

You do not know what is going to happen and when the borders are going to open and the amnesty lifted. Don't scare monger because you do not know

Same goes for you > You do not know what is going to happen, and whether it will indeed be easy-peasy to do a border-run once the Amnesty is over.

Many are betting that this will not be as easy as you claim.

But of course everybody is free to opt for the sure extension-approval path as chosen by the OP or taking his chances once the Amnesty is over.

Wish you luck, and hope you won't need it...

• Thanks 1

@crickets are you ineligible for a 60-day extension before the amnesty ends? If not, perhaps getting the extension will save you potential headaches (overstay, fines etc). Then you will "for sure" meet the 60-day requirement for your funds to be in the bank. The other consideration is that you must have at least 15 days remaning on your active visa (stamps that expired during amnesty are not considered active, according to the lady we spoke with at immigration). In other words, you might not meet the visa requirements for a conversion if you do not get an extension prior to the end of amnesty. Food for thought. 

57 minutes ago, PiMi said:

@crickets are you ineligible for a 60-day extension before the amnesty ends? If not, perhaps getting the extension will save you potential headaches (overstay, fines etc). Then you will "for sure" meet the 60-day requirement for your funds to be in the bank. The other consideration is that you must have at least 15 days remaning on your active visa (stamps that expired during amnesty are not considered active, according to the lady we spoke with at immigration). In other words, you might not meet the visa requirements for a conversion if you do not get an extension prior to the end of amnesty. Food for thought. 

Yes i went today and got the 60 day extension, will get the one year next month.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, crickets said:

Yes i went today and got the 60 day extension, will get the one year next month.

What is your IO?  And did they provide you with the 60-day extension of stay from date of application, or did they back-date it till your permission to stay expiry-date?

Thanks in advance for response, as that would be useful info for TVF members in similar situation.