Bed bug removal

toast1

In Europe at the moment, a small bed bug problem.

Some say you can remove them with heat, getting the room very hot. I could do this with gas fire and electric heaters, though my circuits blow if I use too much electricity. 

Anyone done this or have any practical, useful solutions?

Thanks

Companies will do it for you professionally but cost 5000 Dollars to do it for one normal sized house in America. 

Don't forget to take the cat with you.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Bed bugs do love warmth heat will not kill them get a pest control in and get it sprayed. 

The bugs are not just in the bed as the name says they also will hide and breed

on any fabric, carpets and clothes and so on.

They don't spray bed bugs.  They cook them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Raphus said:

Buy a new mattress.

Job done

Not good enough.

And no, Stadtler has never been an exterminator. 

The bedbugs are in your clothes, they are everywhere.

• Like 1

Had some in the house here in USA some years back.  The outbreak was in the bedroom of a Thai nephew who was in ESL classes with a bunch of other kids at high school from all over...  Cost me about $3,000 USD and a whole lot of heartache to get rid of the critters. We had to turn the house upside down.  Nasty.

I read about heat treatment, getting the room to a very high temperature, and this killing them, we are thinking of using a gas heater. Just wondered if anyone else did this themselves without professional help.

Thanks

2 hours ago, toast1 said:

I read about heat treatment, getting the room to a very high temperature, and this killing them, we are thinking of using a gas heater. Just wondered if anyone else did this themselves without professional help.

Thanks

In order to kill bedbugs and their eggs in a room by using heat, you would have to maintain a total interior temperature of 120 degrees F+ for 3 hours. To totally eradicate bedbugs, the heat in the room must be at least 140 degrees F to permeate into everywhere that bedbugs can hide such as cracks, crevices in floors, walls, etc. and takes even longer. It's not something that can be accomplished by do-it-yourself heating equipment.

• Like 2

On 7/9/2020 at 1:37 AM, Meat Pie 47 said:

Bed bugs do love warmth heat will not kill them get a pest control in and get it sprayed. 

The bugs are not just in the bed as the name says they also will hide and breed

on any fabric, carpets and clothes and so on.

Heat treatment offers certain advantages when it comes to bed bug management. Heat is non-toxic, and can kill all bed bug life stages including bed bug eggs. Bed bugs exposed to 113°F will die if they receive constant exposure to that temperature for 90 minutes or more.

Had some in our master bedroom in Dubai a few years back. Likely came with the rented furniture and soft coverings. We had to strip, clean, wash the blankets/covers multiple times and dismantle and clean the wooden bed several times to get rid of them. A key element was using a strong jet of hot air from a hair dryer on every piece and nook and cranny of the bed. And even then took maybe four times before we were confident they were gone.

• Like 1

Buy a steamer. Steam the matress, floor , carpets curtains everything.  Wash all sheets blankets and dry in a tumble dryer on high heat.

Keep repeating.  Job done.

If you dont have pets or children buy the chemical kits on amazon

Edited by maprao
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, maprao said:

Buy a steamer. Steam the matress, floor , carpets curtains everything.  Wash all sheets blankets and dry in a tumble dryer on high heat.

Keep repeating.  Job done.

If you dont have pets or children buy the chemical kits on amazon

I did what you suggest about 15 years ago and I managed to eradicate the problem in about a weeks time, doing the steaming almost every day. What you say works for sure.

• Like 1

Forget any spray ,heat ...waste of time . Professional treatment very expensive .

From personal experience .... Diatomaceous Earth .

It's a fine powder ..like flour .your powder all round the areas you have a problem . On the edges of mattresses( brush in the seams with small brush ) , round legs of bed and tables round the edges of carpets ...etc ...and leave it !

The powder is harmless to humans and animals .

But for bed bugs it is like razor blades

...they all die

But ..they will have laid eggs . You must repeat this at least once more 10- 14 days later .

Totally worked !

I used it when I was in the u.s. ...I think I ordered 1 kg .. from Canada . Can't remember more than that . This was the only thing that worked ...and it seems that most of America/ Europe is still unaware of it ..

Research it on Google ...buy at least ½ kg

• Like 1

burn your matrass,throw all textile in a washing machine filled with ice(below 5 degree they die)

tape your room and spray it heavily with bug spray, and do not enter for 3 days

i you were still in thailand you could place your matrass in the hot sun on a roof below 5 degree and over 50 degree Celcius they die

• Haha 1

I owned many houses in slum neighborhoods where people weren't the cleanest.  

It's best in the long run to bring in a professional service and throw "ALL" the furniture away or they will come back.

Carpets need to be professionally cleaned as well. 

I had infestation of ticks,easily solved   used a tick/flea powder,lightly dusted everything,bedding/floors,furniture etc.  kept it down for 3 days .  Used Tickoff but I guess any powder will do,   perfect

NYC, where I grew up, is the bedbug capital of the world. AFTER you ditch your mattresses, carpets, and wooden furniture, all bedding must be washed & dried, both at high heat. Professional exterminators use a super-cold spray (nitrogen?) to freeze the critters & pop their eggs. They'll be in every crevice you can imagine, hopefully not yours!