What will happen to foreigners with expired visas after July 31?

webfact

7 hours ago, jimmjam said:

This last paragraph is a complete lie, people wait for months even years to get accomodation from the government.

You should go look up the amount of homeless living in the streets of the u.k, it rises every year.

The only time people get emergency housing is when they have kids and have been evicted from their accomodation, or they are troubled/at risk youths and even then its not for long.

You obviously dont have a clue about what you have just said. 

Flying back to the u.k with nowhere to live is putting yourself on the streets, if you have no means to pay for it.

And by the way, i know because i worked for council housing.

In London you might have to wait. But go further up north there are an abudance of social housing. 

I spent a year in Newcastle, there were thousands of empty social housing ready. The problem was people in London refusing to move out the city and only wanting housing there. Then there was some new legislation that if you refused to take up social housing offered to you anywhere in the country you would go back down the list. 

Of course priority is given to single mothers. But if you arrive, tell them your situation (ie homeless) you will get a social house somewhere in the country in weeks. In the meantime rent a property. 

Those homeless, fall foul of the cracks - be it criminal records, no national insurance number, or have somehow lost the rite to housing. If you are jet setting around Thailand i am pretty sure you won't be falling into these cracks. 

Furthermore, you can still rent. You've been living in Thailand, not some mastermind criminal. Whilst for lower abode accomodation references are not needed, just rent in advance. If one is required then get some !

Edited by AndrewMciver

5 hours ago, Puccini said:

The Thai government has not ordered foreigners to stay until 31 July. The general idea was that the foreigners who wanted to leave should have done so while commercial flights were still available or on one of the repatriation flights organized by many countries.

Exactly this. Many are confusing the amnesty till the 31st as permission to chill and stay. No, it was designed to give more time for those in the country to get back home.

Those in Europe could easily get back on flights. Those in Australia, New Zealand by now should have got themselves on repatriation flights. 

But nope. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

In London you might have to wait. But go further up north there are an abudance of social housing. 

I spent a year in Newcastle, there were thousands of empty social housing ready. The problem was people in London refusing to move out the city and only wanting housing there. Then there was some new legislation that if you refused to take up social housing offered to you anywhere in the country you would go back down the list. 

Of course priority is given to single mothers. But if you arrive, tell them your situation (ie homeless) you will get a social house somewhere in the country in weeks. In the meantime rent a property. 

Those homeless, fall foul of the cracks - be it criminal records, no national insurance number, or have somehow lost the rite to housing. If you are jet setting around Thailand i am pretty sure you won't be falling into these cracks. 

Furthermore, you can still rent. You've been living in Thailand, not some mastermind criminal. Whilst for lower abode accomodation references are not needed, just rent in advance. If one is required then get some !

Simply not true, no councils I know of are offering accommodation to returning expats for any reason, I am in Durham atm and have been trying for weeks to find somewhere for a single mum UK citizen returning from Chang Mai.

• Like 1

Just now, stuandjulie said:

Simply not true, no councils I know of are offering accommodation to returning expats for any reason, I am in Durham atm and have been trying for weeks to find somewhere for a single mum UK citizen returning from Chang Mai.

I am not going to debate this issue with you over and over again. There is an ambudance of social housing available in the UK throughout the country. If you refuse to believe this, then so be it. 

The crux is, if you are able to travel to Thailand, support yourself in Thailand then you can afford to rent in the UK. 

It's not the problem of the Thai government that you may struggle back in the UK. In the same way the UK, deports people back to their countries for overstays, etc they do not take into consideration that the deportee may not have a nice lifestyle to return to. Welcome to the world of immigration. 

You've had ample opportunity to return to the UK, make plans, but have done nothing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndrewMciver said:

A laboratory on board a plane - what a fantastic idea ! ???????? 

I was kind of like making a joke, hence the smiley face .

But seriously , how long do the tests take and how longs the flight time ?

Test all passengers before they board a flight and the test results should be known by the time they arrive 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

I am not going to debate this issue with you over and over again. There is an ambudance of social housing available in the UK throughout the country. If you refuse to believe this, then so be it. 

No there isnt , unless you you have children  you wont even get a look in 

Even if you do have children , you will have to go on a waiting list , which could be for years

• Like 1

See, I do not defend this xenophobic anti foreigner government, but the reasons for the 40K/65K p/m thresholds were to avoid getting individiduals that do not have enough funds to repatriate and have decided to eat 40 baht boiled rice all day long, with no chicken, possibly fried egg included.

Sorry.

Edited by lkv

3 minutes ago, lkv said:

See, I do not defend this xenophobic anti foreigner government, but the reasons for the 40K/65K p/m thresholds were to avoid getting individiduals that do not have enough funds to repatriate and have decided to eat 40 baht boiled rice all day long, with no chicken.

Sorry.

Its not a question about income .

40 Baht a meal x 3 per day x's 30 days .

You do the maths   

6 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Its not a question about income .

40 Baht a meal x 3 per day x's 30 days .

You do the maths   

You don't seem to perhaps understand.

The Thai government expects foreigners to spend more than a poor Thai from the countryside.

Otherwise, they would have not granted temporary permissions of stay for foreign retirees to visit Thailand for extended periods of time, and those individuals could have remained in the UK (or insert any other country), and eat boiled rice there.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AndrewMciver said:

Exactly this. Many are confusing the amnesty till the 31st as permission to chill and stay. No, it was designed to give more time for those in the country to get back home.

Those in Europe could easily get back on flights. Those in Australia, New Zealand by now should have got themselves on repatriation flights. 

But nope. 

Where does it say it was designed that way? 

I suppose we may half find out, if they do not extend amnesty I think you are probably right. Although that would make me wonder why on earth they don't urge everyone to leave. 

I think you are wrong. 

Edited by utalkin2me
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lkv said:

The Thai government expects foreigners to spend more than a poor Thai from the countryside.

Otherwise, they would have not granted temporary permissions of stay for foreign retirees to visit Thailand for extended periods of time, and those individuals could have remained in the UK (or insert any other country), and eat boiled rice there.

I wasnt talking about retirees though , I was talking about some of us under the retirement age that have a significant income .

If eating boiled rice without chicken is the bar you set , that says more about yourself than other more affluent people 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CorpusChristie said:

I wasnt talking about retirees though , I was talking about some of us under the retirement age that have a significant income .

If eating boiled rice without chicken is the bar you set , that says more about yourself than other more affluent people 

The logic is, again from the Government's point of view (as far as I am concerned people can eat whatever they like), that someone visiting Thailand for an extended period of time, say a year, should have 800K if retired, 400K if married.

That said, if people had that, we would not be having discussions such as: "if i go back to the UK, I would be living on the streets".

For the category you mention, those people would either work legally in Thailand, with a work permit, where the minimum thresholds are quite generous compared to average Thai citizens -again, legally- or maybe have passive income derived from overseas.

Either way, those people should be in some sort of a financial position not to end up begging on the streets of say London, no?

If not, you expect them to beg on the streets of Bangkok?

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Simple... get an Elite Visa, only 500K for 5 years, though the 1 Million for 20 years looks better value. 

Oh & I don't eat chicken so would eat the boiled rice without if that was the choice at hand, I don't think that says anything about how affluent I may or may not be. 

18 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

You are way out of touch with reality of life in the UK .

Landlords these days not only ask for references , they also require to see proof of income , a guarantor ( a person who earns enough money and is willing to pay the rent, should there be a default in rental payments)and some also require six months rent in advance  

and who sane enough will rent a property in such awfully condition?

9 hours ago, lkv said:

ahahaha that was a funny one. since when government can say, force or whatever people want to eat? that's ultimate BS.  I ate Thai porridge with veggies and mushrooms for 4 months and it is great, not for the price, but quality of meal and I cook myself. Most Thai food are totally junk nowadays, the amount of sugar and chilly is just unbelievable.

7 hours ago, lkv said:

The logic is, again from the Government's point of view (as far as I am concerned people can eat whatever they like), that someone visiting Thailand for an extended period of time, say a year, should have 800K if retired, 400K if married.

That said, if people had that, we would not be having discussions such as: "if i go back to the UK, I would be living on the streets".

Some of us are neither married or retired , so having money in the bank is a moot point .

We wasnt talking about any particular person begging on the streets of either UK or Thailand, Andrew was saying how generous the UK welfare system was and I was just pointing out that anyone returning to the UK wont be given a free house or even accommodation , we wasnt talking about any particular person .

Thats what happened when you dont read all the thread and you just open the last page 

1 hour ago, A512 said:

and who sane enough will rent a property in such awfully condition?

Why is it of any concern to Thailand immigration the state of your property you rent in London?

''Oh please don't send me back to the 6th richest country in the world, where they are paying people to stay at home, where they give you free health care, where they give you free education, where they give you money if you can't work or are ill, all because my home will not be nice'' . 

Behave.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 5:57 AM, richard_smith237 said:

That depends on your perspective. I’m currently stranded in the UK unable to travel back to Thailand. 

Is there an opportunity for Foreigners (and Thai’s) to travel out of Thailand on one of the many International flights which are arriving daily? 

If so, I don’t think Europeans are stranded in Thailand, however, I think Aus and NZ are limiting flights etc and some of those citizens could be stranded in Thailand, as could US citizens who may struggle to flight flight links into the US. 

Cost can also be too prohibitive resulting in people being stranded for the time being. 

The U.S. Embassy site indicated that loans may be available for repatriation flights, if you can find one.
I think the folks who say we "are not stranded" are either misinformed, or millionaires who can afford multiple flights around the world.????

• Haha 1

On 7/12/2020 at 1:33 PM, AndrewMciver said:

Many there are on invalid travel insurances, and at worst not going to cover them for Corona.  The cost of Thailand have to possibly care for these international patients if anything goes wrong far outweighs any spending you bring to the country. 

The bare minimum they need is to ensure all those who are given an amensty get the valid insurance that is being asked of those coming in this month (name the 100,000 worth of insurance and covering for Covid).

Good point about the insurance. But what about local, Thai citizens - is Corona covered by their social health insurance?

I think we are in the same boat with Thais now.

Edited by fdsa

7 hours ago, fdsa said:

Good point about the insurance. But what about local, Thai citizens - is Corona covered by their social health insurance?

I think we are in the same boat with Thais now.

Thai's are looked after by their government.

Tourists, foreigners who are in Thailand on their jolly's and have made no attempt to return back on expired visas aren't the job for the Thai taxpayer to look after. 

Thought this was quite obvious to be honest. Other than emergency's you won't be covered for health insurance. The problem is Covid is an emergency, and the Thai authorities will have no choice but to pay for your care, because you won't have the adequate insurance. You buying a few bottles of beer in Nana plaza won't cover this cost. 

Edited by AndrewMciver

10 hours ago, Kwaibill said:

The U.S. Embassy site indicated that loans may be available for repatriation flights, if you can find one.
I think the folks who say we "are not stranded" are either misinformed, or millionaires who can afford multiple flights around the world.????

What about the stupendous morons who've decided on a mindless policy of asserting that anyone who says they have difficulty getting out/home/around are lazy, lying, or most probably both?

On 7/13/2020 at 12:18 AM, lkv said:

Ok let me try to reexplain the way it works.

1. Amnesty finishes (whenever that is).

2. You go and extend your permission of stay if it has already expired, by meeting the requirements for that extension (preferably before the deadline, otherwise you risk detention and IDC, or overstay fines best case scenario).

3. Alternatively, if you fail to extend, you must depart from Thailand, since you no longer have a permission of stay that is current.

It's pretty simple, right?

You said they designed the amnesty to get "back home".

You did not back up that statement at all. You can think whatever you want, but you can't tell me what they are thinking, unless, as I asked, you provide a statement they made telling people to go back home. But you can't, so that solves that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

You said they designed the amnesty to get "back home".

You did not back up that statement at all. You can think whatever you want, but you can't tell me what they are thinking, unless, as I asked, you provide a statement they made telling people to go back home. But you can't, so that solves that. 

For tourists, basically yes. To go back home to their own countries or countries of legal residence, as they came for a short holiday and an exceptional circumstance popped up. Right?

Perpetual tourists "travelling around South East Asia" may face some hurdles with the visa runs.

Whoever is extending stays for marriage, "retirement" and so on may proceed to do so, should they meet the conditions soon to be determined, most likely with mandatory covid insurance.

We'll see.

Edited by lkv

I've been watching this closely as I had a flight booked to Thailand 24 March which had to be cancelled. I was jealous as my normal 2 month stay (visa exempt + 1 month ext) would have been extended to over 6 months as I was sure they would extend again to September. 

Now I'd be a little panicky as deadline looms and Aus have cut their arrival flights back to 4000 passengers a week due to new outbreak in Victoria. The 14 day quarantine now also costing $3k in Aus after being free before.

I think I dodged a bullet as I would have definitely not used the amnesty to find a flight home, especially when all the talk was about opening up tourist travel bubbles from 1 August.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lkv said:

For tourists, basically yes. To go back home to their own countries or countries of legal residence, as they came for a short holiday and an exceptional circumstance popped up. Right?

Perpetual tourists "travelling around South East Asia" may face some hurdles with the visa runs.

Whoever is extending stays for marriage, "retirement" and so on may proceed to do so, should they meet the conditions soon to be determined, most likely with mandatory covid insurance.

We'll see.

Ok let me try to explain the way it works.

You said they designed amnesty to get people back home. In other words, you said amnesty was designed to basically get everyone oit to their own countries. 

They have never said they designed amnesty for that reason. You have made a false statement. Going back and changing it to tourists is something different from your original statements. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lkv said:

That's all over. 

They will have to leave and won't get back until tourists are allowed back in again, and that will be some time.

They won't be able to go through land borders either so that means a flight out when the amnesty is lifted. 

Nipping over to Cambo until it blows over is an option but they will have to be cashed up to pay the thousands of dollars required to get in at the moment.