What will happen to foreigners with expired visas after July 31?

webfact

5 minutes ago, anchadian said:
The U.S. Embassy will no longer provide extension letters. U.S. Citizens have until July 31, to either return to the U.S., other permanent residence, or obtain appropriate long-term visa. Refer specific visa questions to Thai Immigration. More info here:

Saw a figure of 10,000 (all nations) mentioned somewhere.  Bet all the Embassies  are doing the same as the U.S.  Absolute chaos!

14 minutes ago, phetchy said:

Saw a figure of 10,000 (all nations) mentioned somewhere.  Bet all the Embassies  are doing the same as the U.S.  Absolute chaos!

How is that a chaos? 

It's been like this before. 

25 minutes ago, micmichd said:

How is that a chaos? 

It's been like this before. 

Has it? I recall the BKK airports being shut for a week or so in 2008, but that disruption (albeit unplanned for, and violent) was not the same.  This disruption is unprecedented.  Colonel someone or other has ordered the 'clearing out of people'. The tone of that remark itself should make 'people' aware that they are not going to pussyfoot around.  No letter-no flight-big problem.   

"He warned that the government may still require a letter from individual foreign embassies in respect of foreigners who find they are not able to access a flight because of limited funds or flight availability caused in part by the current government block on incoming passenger aircraft..............

.......Colonel Phakkaphong urged any person with such concerns to make contact with their embassy now to obtain the appropriate letter.

‘It also depends on the flights available for you,’ the senior officer said. ‘But if your embassy won’t issue a letter for you, then you may have to leave since there’s not much we can do.’ ".

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, phetchy said:

Has it? I recall the BKK airports being shut for a week or so in 2008, but that disruption (albeit unplanned for, and violent) was not the same.  This disruption is unprecedented.  Colonel someone or other has ordered the 'clearing out of people'. The tone of that remark itself should make 'people' aware that they are not going to pussyfoot around.  No letter-no flight-big problem.   

"He warned that the government may still require a letter from individual foreign embassies in respect of foreigners who find they are not able to access a flight because of limited funds or flight availability caused in part by the current government block on incoming passenger aircraft..............

.......Colonel Phakkaphong urged any person with such concerns to make contact with their embassy now to obtain the appropriate letter.

‘It also depends on the flights available for you,’ the senior officer said. ‘But if your embassy won’t issue a letter for you, then you may have to leave since there’s not much we can do.’ ".

Lot of stern stuff there, but he also said "if not extended" and "is likely" so nothing definite either.

2 hours ago, phetchy said:

I missed the part below when I first read that article...

"This visa amnesty did not apply to foreigners who already had visas other than a tourist visa or who had entered Thailand before January of this year."

1 hour ago, Marcous said:

Doesn't look to hopeful, nearly all flights from Bangkok cancelled today.

https://aot-portal.kdlab.dev/bkk

Been like that for a while, I have a look every few days in the vain hope of some increase in departing flights - there are usually a few more, but they are 90% either internal or are flying east.  No good to me. 

26 minutes ago, johnch99 said:

well considering you can't fly into Thailand in August, they will have to do another extension 

It's flights out that people need to worry about if the amnesty is not extended and as you suggest, if the are no regular passenger flights coming in - there's going to be a lot few flights available to leave.  It seems pretty certain to me there won't be an extended amnesty.

"A spokesman for Thailand’s Immigration Bureau has warned foreigners stranded in Thailand who cannot manage to leave the country before their visa expires on July 31st next, to urgently seek a letter from their embassies as the kingdom begins a ‘clear out’ which could make them the subject of overstay fines as well as arrest and detention by Thai authorities". - Thai Examiner.

20 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Or they could just say too bad too sad.

Wouldn't bet against it.

All those that are on tourist visas should have gone home now or have flights out before 31st July, they are here on a temporary overstay and most likely now their insurance has expired. Those that live here legally should be able to purchase a 90 day extension on proof of their status and Covid insurance, just my two bobs worth, but it seems logical and fair.

Edited by Jim P
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, scotsdude said:

Nobody was ever stranded in Thailand there’s repatriation flights... It’s the countries duty to get their citizens in such circumstances...

Next flight to Scotland leaving??

On 7/16/2020 at 8:48 PM, Zikomat said:

The third option - amnesty. More than possible. The situation even got worse compared to the times of the first amnesty. No more tourists in Thailand for a long long time. Those already in Thailand are all they have. Keep us safe and happy.

As long as Thais get paid, I don't see a problem with that. This would be a good opportunity to do a buy-an-extension-per-day thing. 1k baht / day ought to do it.

Cheap Charlies can take a hike.

On 7/12/2020 at 3:33 PM, AndrewMciver said:

I am not going to debate this issue with you over and over again. There is an ambudance of social housing available in the UK throughout the country. If you refuse to believe this, then so be it. 

The crux is, if you are able to travel to Thailand, support yourself in Thailand then you can afford to rent in the UK. 

It's not the problem of the Thai government that you may struggle back in the UK. In the same way the UK, deports people back to their countries for overstays, etc they do not take into consideration that the deportee may not have a nice lifestyle to return to. Welcome to the world of immigration. 

You've had ample opportunity to return to the UK, make plans, but have done nothing. 

Well there are a load of wrong assumptions mate, FYI I am in the UK, I returned 3 years ago and bought a house, I am making enquiries for a friend who is female and no matter what you say, there is NOT an abundance of Social housing, your BS could lead people to make a really bad decision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stuandjulie said:

Well there are a load of wrong assumptions mate, FYI I am in the UK, I returned 3 years ago and bought a house, I am making enquiries for a friend who is female and no matter what you say, there is NOT an abundance of Social housing, your BS could lead people to make a really bad decision.

Is your partner demanding social housing in a specific area? The key is to be flexible with where you can go. The problem with many is they want to stay close to mummy, friends, etc 

For example, yes in London, it's difficult and you will be placed on a waiting list that gives preferential treatment to single mothers, disabled, families with children, etc. 

However, London is not the UK. If you go to Liverpool, Newcastle, Norwich, Middlesbrough, the vast majority of the other cities there is ample social housing. I was in the north east, in Newcastle, and they had 30% of free social housing that wasn't being used. Bizarrely they were still adding more social housing on new builds - any new development had to provide 20% for social housing.