What will happen to foreigners with expired visas after July 31?

webfact

4 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Cool story, but does not answer my question.

The article says people have not been able to go home due to closed home borders, which countries have not allowed its citizens to return ?

...i.e. Austria, if you do not come out of an "approved" country, and Thailand is not on that list.

5 hours ago, Don Mega said:

What countries have closed borders that don't allow entry to its own citizens ?

Trinidad & Tobago: "On 21 March, National Security Minister Stuart Young announced the closure of all borders to everyone (including nationals & non nationals) effective midnight on Sunday 22 March. "

• Haha 1

These people who have become stranded are stranded by choice. They will sit on there butts until the 31rst and then show up at immigration demanding another extension. Time for Thailand to tell them get a flight out, you have had 2 months to arange your transport out. By the way if you are in Chiang Mai and have a car you can do your 90 day report at the drive up window, did mine yesterday in and out but no burger

Edited by moe666
  • Haha 1

What countries have closed borders that don't allow entry to its own citizens ?

Agreed. None that I know of.  Foreigners have not been prevented from returning to their native countries. 

2 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

They like to be awkward and don't want foreigners hanging around for too long without a good reason. Remember there use to have double and triple entry tourist visas, now it's single entry or the METV which has too many conditions attached.

People were abusing the tourist visas to live here.

Can't really blame them for saying "enough is enough".

• Thanks 1

Just now, 4737 Carlin said:

Are you an immigration officer ? Just kidding. You seem to want all other foreigners to leave Thailand so you can have it all to yourself. The poster you replied to works abroad and has a family here - a life. 

Exactly. Some, from other posts here on Thaivisa, don't want to associate with other foreigners and turn away when you see them. Having something in common, you'd think there might be room for compassion. Guess not.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, fxe1200 said:

...i.e. Austria, if you do not come out of an "approved" country, and Thailand is not on that list.

26 minutes ago, toolpush said:

Trinidad & Tobago: "On 21 March, National Security Minister Stuart Young announced the closure of all borders to everyone (including nationals & non nationals) effective midnight on Sunday 22 March. "

Cool so thats 3 countries.

How many on the forum/in thailand from them complaining they are stranded ?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

NZ only allows Nz citizens in at present. The problem now is that quarantine facilities are overloaded and NZ has now had to restrict numbers and flights in order to cope with the flood of people trying to escape the madness in many overseas countries. Legally they have to accept Nz citizens but the amount fleeing from overseas was not imagined to be so great . Now NZ has to slow the pace or be overwhelmed.  Note that the only new cases in NZ are coming in from citizens returning home and all have been contained in quarantine, hence travel bubbles are off the cards and probably why Thailand has put bubbles off.

Thanks Keith.

You have read the news back home the same as.

So I will until hopefully everything improves.

30 minutes ago, fxe1200 said:

That is false. Austrian citizens have a legal "right of return" under international agreements.

32 minutes ago, toolpush said:

It all depends on whether a country signed up to or respects the international agreements.

The right of return is a principle in international law which guarantees everyone's right of voluntary return to, or re-entry to, their country of origin or of citizenship. A right of return based on nationality, citizenship or ancestry may be enshrined in a country's constitution or law, and some countries deny a right of return in particular cases or in general.

The right is formulated in several modern treaties and conventions, most notably in the 1948 Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the 1966 International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and the 1948 Fourth Geneva Convention. The Geneva Conventions, it has been argued, have passed into customary international law and that the right of return is binding on non-signatories to the conventions.[1]

The right of return is often invoked by representatives of refugee groups to assert that they have a right to return to the country from which they were displaced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_return

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It's obvious that the only solution is a further amnesty which lasts approximately 1 month after the Emergency Decree is reminded and passenger flight are permitted to resume. 

The biggest issue I see is the unnecessary absence of clarity. Immigration know what’s coming - they could easily make a clear announcement and put at east the minds of those stranded in Thailand. 

This is Thailand nothing but nothing is obvious 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

they could easily make a clear announcement and put at east the minds of those stranded in Thailand.

Could easily :cheesy: No no no they make nothing easy Almost all announcements are as clear as mud. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, sallecc said:

I love my parents who are 75yo so I decided to keep us all here in Thailand, instead of sending them back to Europe where virus is still raging in their country of residence... Another amnesty will probably come, if not then we will go to another safe tropical place, I see Vietnam started e-visas again... Oh and in the meantime, we spent half a mil during these 7 months (instead of usual 1-2 winter months & 100k), we supported our Thai neighbors businesses, and will spend another half mil if we stay another half year, so it's a win-win for us and Thailand ruined economy, right? But no, this is not good enough for our Andrew boy and other haters here, thanks God that Thai immigration is not as ruthless as them lol... OK, now I see his other post, actually he is stranded in UK, unable to go to Thailand, ouch...

Half a million in 7 months When everywhere was closed boy you must eat well “Prawns and Champers for breakfast every morning “ I assume !

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, domgaf said:

It's not always as simple as that. I'm a British citizen, but I haven't lived there for more than 16 years. Instead, I have been resident in another country for work. I have no home in the UK, so repatriation would render me homeless. My country of residence/work has not yet opened its borders to non-citizens. So, when I arrived in Thailand on a 30 day stamp in March, I had expected to leave before April. Now, I am at a loss as to what to do if the Thai immigration doesn't extend the amnesty or offer extensions that can be paid for.

You're in temporary accommodation in Thailand (you say you live in another country, not the UK & not Thailand). You're a British citizen, so why not return to the UK and be in temporary accommodation there? Sit it out in the UK until your country of residence/work re-opens its borders and allows you to return. Seems pretty simple to me. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Half a million in 7 months When everywhere was closed boy you must eat well “Prawns and Champers for breakfast every morning “ I assume !

Ah... Another "proof of funds" required like Andrew boy, lol... I'm here with extended family, not only parents, more people tend to spend more money, especially if some of them are very old and need to do (very expensive) Thai hospital checks & meds, you know ????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

For locals, required to do 90 day reporting, it would also be advisable to visit your local immigration office before July 31, or report online (if you’ve registered), to avoid a crush on August 1.

An extension of the amnesty would be good for me I'm still waiting for my new passport which I applied for in the lucky month of March, hope it will turn up before 31st July.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The existing amnesty allowed foreigners to remain in Thailand without any new paperwork, payments or additional reporting.

So what will happen to foreigners whose visas are long expired, after July 31?

The amnesty will continue, there is no-other option to the Thai immigration office.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

im not stranded but have a non O marriage until Jan 2021. All i needed to do was a stupid border run. Hope their is a way around that....

There was, but maybe not as you appear not to have taken it, a 1 year extension based on marriage. This was not the choice for you in the past but you decided that it was a good choice still when the pandemic closed the borders and put all visa entry’s into an unknown state.

Please don’t complain that you decided not to extend when you had the opportunity.

All visas only allow you to present yourself to an IO. Your problem if you will need documents/conditions that are difficult to have/fulfil  to get back in, or if your Visa will expire before you can use it.

The Thai government has no responsibility for your actions or lack of action. They have no obligation to keep the same entry conditions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

The amnesty will continue, there is no-other option to the Thai immigration office.

This is Thailand never under estimate what they can and cannot do this government does not think logically 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

im not stranded but have a non O marriage until Jan 2021. All i needed to do was a stupid border run. Hope their is a way around that....

Why would you need to leave the country on a non o? All you need is the 90 day reporting

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, sallecc said:

Ah... Another "proof of funds" required like Andrew boy, lol... I'm here with extended family, not only parents, more people tend to spend more money, especially if some of them are very old and need to do (very expensive) Thai hospital checks & meds, you know ????

I didn’t ask for proof of income but I suppose if you rent rather than own and you have extended family with no health insurance then  half a million is feasible I’m lucky enough to own a beautiful beach villa and have health insurance which covers me for the Covid 19 so my outgoings are not as severe as yours but in the past 7 months I have spent so little as all my local restaurants were closed I couldn’t buy alcohol for a month the government even reduced the electricity by 3% the money . What I have saved has gone to the local community by way of food contributions I think most foreigners living in the Kingdom have helped out in feeding those who are not so fortunate 

• Like 2

The article says people have not been able to go home due to closed home borders, which countries have not allowed its citizens to return ?

You're looking at this too narrowly. Some people work in a country other than their home country and cannot return to their "home" as long as only citizens are allowed back in.

• Like 1