What will happen to foreigners with expired visas after July 31?

webfact

1 hour ago, leeedwards said:

We have proper visas, 1 Year multiple non o marriage, requiring us to leave and return every 90 days. It’s not rocket science, so why don’t some of u understand that we can’t go out and come back. For the last 9 years it has proven problem free for me. I’m sorry I’m no Nostradamus and was unable to predict this unfortunate turn of events. The lack of empathy and understanding from some people is frankly shocking. 

Isn't this article about people who are 'stuck' in Thailand with visas that will have expired?

People with Thai visas who are 'stuck' outside Thailand and waiting for Thailand to re=open its borders for entry to non-Thais, so they can return, are a different topic.  It seems to me they have a choice between:

!. sitting it out in the country where they are currently 'stuck' (e.g. a neighbouring country like Laos if on a border run); and

2. returning to the country of which you have citizenship (e.g. the UK if you're a British citizen) and then waiting it out in the UK.

I'm sure I've read that Thailand was re-opening its borders to non-natives who are married to Thais. There are conditions attached (e.g. the Covid insurance cover) which might make it nigh on impossible to return immediately. So the choice about where to sit it out remains. It could be a long wait.

If you are in a neighbouring country (e.g. Laos) eventually it is probably going to insist on foreigners who are 'stuck' there leaving. (Just as Thailand's own amnesty is coming to an end at the end of July, I'd guess any such amnesty in a neighbouring country will also come to an end in due course). If Thailand's borders are still closed when that all happens then it will mean returning to the country for which you hold a passport. 

Of course, you could just try re-entry with your non-O marriage visa, without any Covid insurance, and see what happens. You might get stamped in without any fuss, especially if your Thai wife and family are with you to explain about your predicament to the border control officer. This might work at one of the land border/foot crossings, where it's less easy to be put on a flight back to your home country. This is Thailand after all. 

I am a South African staying in Thailand with my Thai wife and 2 year old daughter.
I make an income through dividends from a business not based in Thailand.

I am on a NON-O based on marriage which expired in June. I went to my immigration office and they said not to worry and to come back around July 31st.

South Africa had around 10,000 cases yesterday. If I go back to South Africa, sort out my visa then come back to Thailand. What do I expect on arrival? Can I even come back at this time? Will I be stranded in South Africa away from my wife and child for an undetermined amount of time?

17 minutes ago, Caldera said:

You're looking at this too narrowly. Some people work in a country other than their home country and cannot return to their "home" as long as only citizens are allowed back in.

What you waffling about ?

14 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Perhaps you are not capable of understanding the point, though it isn't particularly complex.

You seem to insist that foreigners who have accepted the generosity and understanding of the Thai govt---you know them, THEY are the ones who make the rules---are somehow doing something untoward or impacting your quality of life or otherwise inconveniencing you. It seems unlikely that is the case, as they are merely following the rules set down by the Thai govt. Perhaps that which seems to upset you about this Thai govt decision stems from a fault within you?

Perhaps you are not capable of understanding my question.

3 hours ago, leeedwards said:

We have proper visas, 1 Year multiple non o marriage, requiring us to leave and return every 90 days. It’s not rocket science, so why don’t some of u understand that we can’t go out and come back. For the last 9 years it has proven problem free for me. I’m sorry I’m no Nostradamus and was unable to predict this unfortunate turn of events. The lack of empathy and understanding from some people is frankly shocking. 

Yep.   He seems to be a real nutter and never having had a relation based on some love and family oriented issues.  Poor sod. 

• Like 1

Some off topic posts and the replies have been removed.

Some inflammatory posts and replies have been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That depends on your perspective. I’m currently stranded in the UK unable to travel back to Thailand. 

Is there an opportunity for Foreigners (and Thai’s) to travel out of Thailand on one of the many International flights which are arriving daily? 

If so, I don’t think Europeans are stranded in Thailand, however, I think Aus and NZ are limiting flights etc and some of those citizens could be stranded in Thailand, as could US citizens who may struggle to flight flight links into the US. 

Cost can also be too prohibitive resulting in people being stranded for the time being. 

I have an Aus friend who flew back to Sydney two weeks ago without any great difficulty using Cathy Pacific but had to fly via Hong Kong he of course had to do the 2 week quarantine on arrival in a hotel paid for by the government.

He said the fare was not over the top and plenty of seats on the aircraft.

Australia is only allowing those with citizenship, permanent residency or close relatives to enter. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

Of course they are. Europeans and Americans most definately. Even those living in Australia / New Zealand can get on repatriation flights. 

This loop hole is no different to the visa run to a neighbouring country, to stay there for a long indefinate period. 

If you want to stay long term, get the proper visa. 

Im not a long stayer but a medium stayer, approx half the year here usually. The non O multi entry based on marriage from Savanakhet ideal until all this kicked off..

Yes it is possible for me to leave, my wife doesn't want that. We both know there is no certainty when I can return under reasonable conditions, even for a run over to Laos. Can't now and I won't be doing that until all is crystal clear. 

Actually I need to leave to attend to things back in Europe. We were both going early May. Now her visa for that trip had expired

So I'm trying to  get  a 1 year extension, marriage based, income based now plus re entry permit.  So far I've been in to my IO twice and got conflicting advice, shake of the head and a "go to Lao or put 400k in the bank". Not able to do money in bank until next year now and anyway as the IO agreed, by the time it was seasoned I would definitely be out of time for application. Income method a minefield without an Embassy letter ( I'm a British passport holder).Just gathered what I think they need and will apply  Monday. Not confident.

Also now applying for new visa for my wife to leave with me. It may be free, but there is an irritating service charge and the cost of traveling/staying Bangkok to get that done.

And thought it wise to buy extra travel insurance to cover this extended stay here.

So spare a bit of sympathy / empathy for those like me. There must be quite a few.

• Like 1

I don't understand what the big problem is about this.
Tourists who don't want or can't go back home yet - Give out tourist visas at any immigration office in the country for the existing fee and extend them for the existing fee.
Expats who can't extend Non-B visas get in trouble as well, or are already. Visas could easily be issued to them or extended in the country.
Can't be a staff problem as staff from consulates and embassies should be available.
Can't be a location problem as many hotels are empty around the country.
Flexibility is the key word to make everyone happy.
Tracking of remaining tourists? Accommodations and landlords do TM28 and TM30 for what? There are apps to track movements as well.
Who doesn't agree to be tracked - chose a flight !

Some more inflammatory posts have been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8.) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

• Like 1

I am stuck in my country with Non O visa dew to expire on July 17, 2020. Unable to extent it for another year. Unable to receive answers from anybody. I talked with Thai consulate in my Israel. They don't know. I talked with Thai immigration in Chaengwatthana, the don't know.

Any idea?

8 hours ago, Don Mega said:

What countries have closed borders that don't allow entry to its own citizens ?

Australia for one. I posted about it in the Visa section a few days ago.

The Aussie government limits incoming overseas flights to no more than 50 people per plane, and a maximum of 450 each day coming from ALL COUNTRIES AROUND THE WORLDhttps://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/news/overseas-arrivals-capped-in-nsw-to-prevent-virus-spread/news-story/604f2504f5bb23ed5a4a2634736eaca2

I doubt airlines will also want to fly with a 50 people per plane cap being placed by a government so there will be no flights into Australia. Which airline wants to fly with a max of 50 people to Oz? Surely not commercially viable to fly a commercial aircraft at 5-10% capacity.

Edited by bbi1

6 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Australia for one. I posted about it in the Visa section a few days ago.

The Aussie government limits incoming overseas flights to no more than 50 people per plane, and a maximum of 450 each day coming from ALL COUNTRIES AROUND THE WORLDhttps://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/news/overseas-arrivals-capped-in-nsw-to-prevent-virus-spread/news-story/604f2504f5bb23ed5a4a2634736eaca2

I doubt airlines will also want to fly with a 50 people per plane cap being placed by a government so there will be no flights into Australia. Which airline wants to fly with a max of 50 people to Oz? Surely not commercially viable to fly a commercial aircraft at 5-10% capacity.

Loads of flights into Sydney from around the world.  Check if you like.

https://www.sydneyairport.com.au/flights/?query=&flightType=arrival&terminalType=international&date=2020-07-09&sortColumn=airline&ascending=false&showAll=true

8 minutes ago, RR2020 said:

With only 50 passengers allowed on a plane max and only 450 passengers per day max allowed to get out the plane in Sydney as per the Aussie government's rules? All due to all quarantine hotels being full to the hilt.

Ok, a total of 7 flights from around the world landing in Sydney sometime today. 50 passengers on each plane times 7 flights that gives 350 passengers. Just below the 450 max per day limit.

None of those flights are coming from Thailand either.

Edited by bbi1

Just now, bbi1 said:

With only 50 passengers allowed on a plane max and only 450 passangers per day max allowed to get out the plane in Sydney as per the Aussie government's rules?

Yes.

A lot of airlines have to keep flying, even with empty planes. Aviation rules and regulations for landing slots etc... demands they do it.  So there will be flights everyday into Australia........be they with 50 people or 10 people or 1 person or empty.

• Like 1