What will happen to foreigners with expired visas after July 31?

webfact

7 hours ago, Caldera said:

You're looking at this too narrowly. Some people work in a country other than their home country and cannot return to their "home" as long as only citizens are allowed back in.

That's quite true, but it's not necessarily a concern of the Thai Government.

Let's imagine a situation in which a Thai person working in Saudi Arabia is in the US or UK on holiday, and Saudi decides to temporarily close its borders to foreign workers due to an epidemic, internal unrest, or whatever.

This unfortunate Thai guy waits around until his US or UK authorized stay is about to expire, but Saudi is still closed. So, he goes to the local immigration office and says, "yes, I could fly to Bangkok tomorrow, but my job and my life are in Jeddah - can I just stay here until Saudi opens up again?"

What do you think the response would be? My guess would be something along the lines of, "it's too bad that you can't get back to the place you want to go, but your time here is up, so you'd better go ahead and get a ticket to somewhere else if you don't want to get in serious trouble here." At some point, that will probably be the response of Thai Immigration as well.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jon in Colorado said:

They say nothing of the border with Vietnam - what is that situation - open or closed ??

Thailand does not share a border with Vietnam - you have to pass through Laos or Cambodia to travel by land between the two countries. But Vietnam's borders are still almost entirely closed in any case.

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

"countries are protecting their own citizens first and fourmost".

The UK certainly isn't, there are ex service men sleeping in the streets while "asylum seekers" are piling into the country from France and put in hotels, then given free homes and other benefits. 

What are you confused about KhunJeff, I have seen this for years, do you think I am making it up?

Some more inflammatory posts have been removed:

8.) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

A post containing content that was copy and pasted from Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com
In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

3 hours ago, vermin on arrival said:

An interesting and slightly related issue. Here is something that may make opening up of travel possible, but it won't start being available until September https://ajn.timesofisrael.com/israel-invents-one-minute-coronavirus-breath-test/?fbclid=IwAR0CcM-Mg3_JEx3D-Rw4xgadRJP23mObXZXEgDcDPl4OprHhN9MYS-PzNcg

Wow, that amazing, lets hope it gets approved and then rolled out everywhere, a game changer for testing

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

No excuses not to return back. Many flights are leaving Thailand that are capable of handling passengers. 

It's not only people on holidays etc., people living here full time on marriage visa (who doesn't have the 400k in the bank, but can provide for their families) for decades are also on expired visas.

14 hours ago, Pravda said:

Who the hell made you HM revenue and customs officer on Thai Visa?

He claimed if he was sent back to the UK he would be homeless. Yet he has the funds to live in Thailand, and jet set around. That was my point - that he should use those funds to rent a house back in the UK. 

'...Whilst there are now a few opportunities for foreigners to leave or return to Thailand, most are still unable either due to a lack of flights or closed borders in their home countries...'?!

A lack of flights is understandable but no country is closing their borders to their own citizens.

Who reports this nonsense?!

12 hours ago, Walker88 said:

I don't think you are going to open your wallet and aid the many Thais who will lose jobs when the amnesty ends and upwards of 40,000 foreign Western tourists are required to leave. Rather than seem put out by the extended amnesty, you might show some compassion for thousands of Thais who will be laid off when yet more hotels and restaurants close.

As i have said before, you over estimate your importance because you buy a few beers. You aren't meant to be working, so i doubt you are paying any taxes into the system, whilst using up public resources. 

I'm all for compassion. Just admit you want to stay so you can enjoy the good life, rather than some sob story that if you return to your home country you will condemned to the gates of hell, sleep rough, or be whipped. 

You also know you won't qualify for a return or be able to get the required visa and health insurances, hence why you want some compassion. 

Edited by AndrewMciver
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, vermin on arrival said:

Or they may be understanding that people have these problems during this global crisis and enable some kind of special extension as the world, in particular Asia, figures out a way to open up. I know that for a fee, Vietnam is allowing people who are stuck to pay to extend for months at a time while this travel blockage continues. It benefits Thailand by gaining needed funds for the government and having these stuck people spend their money in the Thai economy.

An interesting and slightly related issue. Here is something that may make opening up of travel possible, but it won't start being available until September https://ajn.timesofisrael.com/israel-invents-one-minute-coronavirus-breath-test/?fbclid=IwAR0CcM-Mg3_JEx3D-Rw4xgadRJP23mObXZXEgDcDPl4OprHhN9MYS-PzNcg

Heard of the windrus scandal back in the UK last year? West Indians, who travelled from caribbean and lived in the UK for 50-60 years were sent back because they didn't have the relevant rights to stay. 

Hopefully Thailand, says enough is enough. Go back. Or if you want to stay under the guise of an amnesty, then get the relevent insurances and mandotory 100,000 limit. 

You'd see a fair few fly back then. 

Edited by AndrewMciver
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, sandyf said:

It all depends on whether a country signed up to or respects the international agreements.

The right of return is a principle in international law which guarantees everyone's right of voluntary return to, or re-entry to, their country of origin or of citizenship. A right of return based on nationality, citizenship or ancestry may be enshrined in a country's constitution or law, and some countries deny a right of return in particular cases or in general.

The right is formulated in several modern treaties and conventions, most notably in the 1948 Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the 1966 International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and the 1948 Fourth Geneva Convention. The Geneva Conventions, it has been argued, have passed into customary international law and that the right of return is binding on non-signatories to the conventions.[1]

The right of return is often invoked by representatives of refugee groups to assert that they have a right to return to the country from which they were displaced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_return

LoLs!

You are applying the wrong law.

The Right of Return is an international treaty between nations concerning the repatriation or return of a citizen to their 'home country' by another country, ie. when one country is repatriating (deporting or booting out) a citizen of another country back to their home country.

Any citizen wishing to return to their own country other than repatriation etc. would be governed by the domestic laws of that particular country. It has nothing to do with treaties.

Edited by kamma
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

You are saying take some pity on yourselves, who are living in complete bliss, and not following the same rules others are being to undertake. The sheer hypocrisy too is astonishing too - wanting some sympathy, but not willing to sympathise those yearning to get back into Thailand. Oh no, when it comes to foreigners trying to get into Thailand suddenly your sympathies vanish, and it's all 'the infection rate is too high there, it's too risky, keep them out'. 

Not at all I completely sympathize and think you should be allowed back in. I think the requirements to come back are over the top. I think if you should just have to do a test before and some sort of reasonable quarantine- maybe at your abode(some countries have care workers come to the house on daily basis to check on people), or some reasonably priced quarantine facility. and probably a test at the end.

Most of the rest of your rant against people under amnesty was over the top. I can't wait to get back to Taiwan where I have a flat and have work waiting, but can't incorporate from here. The last thing I wanted was to be where I am at. My life was completely blown up when I thought I had things here wrapped up for good. I've lost all my income for the year.

I hope that things get better for you. Sounds like you under a lot of pressure.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, CH1961 said:

At Immigration you should wear proper clothing. 

Made my 90 day in Jomtien and other 20 people there, no problem at all. 

its cash that opens the door.

Preeyanuch-The-Killer-Money-1.jpg