What will happen to foreigners with expired visas after July 31?

webfact

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

They are not my statements that you referred to, but feel to dispute them and mislead people.

"The right of return is a principle in international law which guarantees everyone's right of voluntary return to, or re-entry to, their country of origin or of citizenship."

"The right is formulated in several modern treaties and conventions,"

@kamma's post was correct. Each country decides on its own how to deal with its own nationals or former nationals who want to re-enter the country. Yes, the "right of return" appears in various conventions, but they are aspirational/non-binding documents like the UN's Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

The vast majority of nations allow their nationals into the country with no restrictions because it's the proper thing to do, but there have always been states that do things like stripping citizenship from people they don't like, taking citizenship away from those who depart the country illegally, and so on. This only becomes actionable by other countries when the offending nation is refusing to take back one of its people who is being deported from the other country. In that case, there are binding agreements involved, and sanctions and punishments that can be, and are, imposed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2020 at 2:00 PM, Max69xl said:

You don't renew a visa, you extend the permission to stay,and there's already a fixed price, ฿1900. As long as the borders to neighbouring are closed, no one will probably be forced to leave. 

You didn't understand what I said. Those with existing METVs or SETVs should be able to renew their visas as if they bought a new visa from an embassy. This would ensure that people who are already here can stay based on their current visas, but somehow renewed.

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

It's all kicking off now on social media.

Don't think there's been so much hatred and disdain for a Thai administration or Thailand in general since I arrived here 31 years ago.

Tourism will never recover if they continue like this. Wholesale changes needed.

This seems to be a wholesale change. Get rid of all farangs so Chinese have a clean slate.

• Like 1

The country where I work is still closed up. My own country is probably going to shut the border again when flu season arrives, so I don't want to go there as I will be stuck away from my job.

Is there anywhere in Asia which has opened up to tourism by air? I understand the land borders are closed. I doubt there is.

If you have mental illness please keep it to yourself rather than respond to my post with snark.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nemo38 said:

The country where I work is still closed up. My own country is probably going to shut the border again when flu season arrives, so I don't want to go there as I will be stuck away from my job.

Is there anywhere in Asia which has opened up to tourism by air? I understand the land borders are closed. I doubt there is.

If you have mental illness please keep it to yourself rather than respond to my post with snark.

You are attempting to argue with delusion.  You're going to lose, and the delusion will win.  There is no point with these people.  

Count down, one will chirp "... but there's plenty of flights out"... even though there isn't and there's still thousands of Thais stranded too.  Heat and desperation is one hell of a thing.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Pravda said:

Tinder must be a goldmine with farang stuck home. 

Can anyone tell me? 

I married a tinder girl 3 months ago.... Now I regret it. 

seriously? well better I will not go further with this comment. ROFL

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

Oh come on. The vast majority of tourists we are talking about are either European, Australian, or the USA. These are modern western democricies who are repatriating their citizens back home. Citizens of these countries have had ample opportunity to return home on repatriation flights, but CHOSE to stay in Thailand, knowing full well they did not have long term visas and may well face issues. 

We are not talking about Turkmensitan, Sudan or Serbia. 

No sympathies at all. 

I hope Thailand don't allow an amnesty. If your visas are about to run out, you must go or face the fines. If they agree to some sort of half way house and let you renew the visa, then just like everyone else you must get relevent insurances up to 100,000 US Dollars and cover for covid. 

The discussion in this particular off-topic post was about international law and the "right of return" in general, not about the ability of tourists in Thailand to return to their home countries. I think virtually everyone here agrees that there are no legal impediments to Europeans, Americans, or antipodeans returning home whenever they want to go (though there may be practical problems for some).

16 hours ago, PatchinExPat said:

Are backpackers a special class of people, who have no responsibilities 

for their actions?

Who said anything about being special? By "have responsibilities" you evidently mean be subjected to pointless punitive measures that would only compound the difficulty of clearing large cohorts of people clogging up the place on special extension. You're keen to see a big ugly mess develop to teach the people who needed the extension a severe lesson: that they shouldn't have needed it? Pointless.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, khunjeff said:

@kamma's post was correct. Each country decides on its own how to deal with its own nationals or former nationals who want to re-enter the country. Yes, the "right of return" appears in various conventions, but they are aspirational/non-binding documents like the UN's Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

The vast majority of nations allow their nationals into the country with no restrictions because it's the proper thing to do, but there have always been states that do things like stripping citizenship from people they don't like, taking citizenship away from those who depart the country illegally, and so on. This only becomes actionable by other countries when the offending nation is refusing to take back one of its people who is being deported from the other country. In that case, there are binding agreements involved, and sanctions and punishments that can be, and are, imposed. 

You are perfectly free to claim the international agreements are non binding but I don't propose to take your word for it, will stick with expert opinion.

In the case of Shamima Begum, someone who wanted to return voluntarily, the UK had to revoke her citizenship in order to remove her "right of return" under international law.

“In light of the circumstances of your daughter, the notice of the Home Secretary’s decision has been served of file today (19th February), and the order removing her British citizenship has subsequently been made.”

Britain’s Home Secretary Sajid Javid has said he would “not hesitate” to prevent the return to Britain of anyone who has supported terrorist organizations aboard.

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/world/2019/02/20/Teenager-who-joined-ISIS-group-in-Syria-to-lose-UK-citizenship

1 minute ago, jimn said:

I am not going to read all the comments but just to add that there are many flights out of Thailand now, especially to the UK. My Thai wife and I arrived in London on Friday from Bangkok via Doha, 24k return. The trick will be getting back in without spending a fortune and doing 14 days quarantine. Here is hoping that its history by then. Those on the amnesty are not all stuck in Thailand, some are, but many are choosing to stay.

If you would have read the thread, that has been well documented .

Its well known  that flights back to the UK /Europe have been continuous and didnt stop because of Corvid , some of us prefer to stay in Thailand, rather than to go home 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

If you would have read the thread, that has been well documented .

Its well known  that flights back to the UK /Europe have been continuous and didnt stop because of Corvid , some of us prefer to stay in Thailand, rather than to go home 

Personally I dont blame you but that is not really what the amnesty is for. I hope they do a bit of investigation and only give any further extensions to those who really cannot go back. Anyone else it should be adios, it will speed up getting things back to normal in my honest opinion.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/9/2020 at 10:57 AM, richard_smith237 said:

That depends on your perspective. I’m currently stranded in the UK unable to travel back to Thailand. 

Is there an opportunity for Foreigners (and Thai’s) to travel out of Thailand on one of the many International flights which are arriving daily? 

If so, I don’t think Europeans are stranded in Thailand, however, I think Aus and NZ are limiting flights etc and some of those citizens could be stranded in Thailand, as could US citizens who may struggle to flight flight links into the US. 

Cost can also be too prohibitive resulting in people being stranded for the time being. 

Most countries have closed their borders and only allow citizens to return, the problem with this is high costs and you can only cue and hope to get a seat on a flight that has just repatriated people in to the country you want to leave and that is returning to your country, I did hear that a few countries in Europe were allowing travel between borders but the majority of countries world wide have closed borders, I did hear Italy was opening up don’t know how that is going maybe dr google can throw more light on your questions 

1 hour ago, kiwikeith said:

Most countries have closed their borders and only allow citizens to return, the problem with this is high costs and you can only cue and hope to get a seat on a flight that has just repatriated people in to the country you want to leave and that is returning to your country, I did hear that a few countries in Europe were allowing travel between borders but the majority of countries world wide have closed borders, I did hear Italy was opening up don’t know how that is going maybe dr google can throw more light on your questions 

I'm not sure what particular country you're talking about.

Are you not allowed to enter? Is that New Zealand?

If not then there should be quite a bit of flights available by now.

The are very few repatriation flights going right now especially in comparison to the "regular flights" that carry cargo into Thailand and quite often carry passenger on the way out.

Repatriation flights are just a small portion of the overall number of seats that should be available to you at the moment.

Edited by unheard
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, unheard said:

I'm not sure what particular country you're talking about.

Are you not allowed to enter? Is that New Zealand?

If not then there should be quite a bit of flights available by now.

The are very few repatriation flights going right now especially in comparison to the "regular flights" that carry cargo into Thailand and quite often carry passenger on the way out.

Repatriation flights are just a small portion of the overall number of seats that should be available to you at the moment.

There have been plenty of repatriation flights to New Zealand and Australia from all over the world. 

We've been in this situation since February, and then when the first amenesty was given. Yet these people still haven't made any moves to go back. It's their own fault. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

There have been plenty of repatriation flights to New Zealand and Australia from all over the world. 

That's true.

However getting bit harder for the Oz folk to return to Australia. The gov has just cut weekly entries into Australia by 50% along with paying for own hotel quarantine.

Suggested cost ~60k+ baht.

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That's true.

However getting bit harder for the Oz folk to return to Australia. The gov has just cut weekly entries into Australia by 50% along with paying for own hotel quarantine.

Suggested cost ~60k+ baht.

You've had nearly 6 months to get back ! 

You are telling me there wasn't one flight from February to July that you couldn't get on? You have deliberately done nothing, left it all last minute and invoke chaos, in the hope the chaos and pity sob story will provoke Thai authorities into letting you stay. 

No sympathies at all. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

If your visa or extension to stay has expired you will be given a notice to leave I would imagine, judging by the announcement from the immigration spokesman.

If you don't leave, you will be arrested and forcibly removed.

When it comes, don't say you weren't warned - you have had plenty time to plan.

Chok dee.

I am now just seeing what other Countries are open , Barbados or Turkey seem quite likely .

I am determined not to be in Thailand for the now 6 month burning season , as breathing is something I enjoy doing .

Chok dee

• Like 1