Where are the cheap avocados this year?

Normally July marks the beginning of the Thai avocado season. In years past I have been able to find Thai grown avocados starting around this time. Usually they appear in Makro. Occasionally I have had to look more extensively in malls and other venues. But this year, at least in the northern Bangkok area, I am not seeing anything. I've checked everywhere. Typically I see them on sale for around 60-90 baht/kg when they are in season.

This is the first year I have had my freeze drier and I planned on stocking up and making powder that I could use for the rest of the year. So I was absolutely looking forward to this opportunity. But I have been sorely disappointed.

What is wrong? Are the avocados afraid of catching coronavirus and staying at home?

Anyone know someone selling avocados by the kg I can buy online?  Or anywhere near Talat Thai in Rangsit?

Not sure where you live but i see them everywhere in BKK like in big C, for me the local avocados don't come close to the hass avocados in other countries not as far as taste and texture and i could not understand why no one can grow hass avocados in Thailand...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ezzra said:

Not sure where you live but i see them everywhere in BKK like in big C, for me the local avocados don't come close to the hass avocados in other countries not as far as taste and texture and i could not understand why no one can grow hass avocados in Thailand...

I specifically said "cheap avocados". Imported, expensive Hass avocados are everywhere. I am looking for the inexpensive, local variety. Buccaneer or Booth 7, for example. Usually sold by the kg for around 70 baht.  I haven't seen those anywhere yet this year.

Rain problem? Is there some issue with the harvest this year?

• 3 weeks later...

ChrisY1 I have 7 avocado trees in my yard, two about 7 years old had some flowers this year, I do not know what kind they are but I have two Hass that are about a year and a half from cutting on root stock. three smaller trees Hass and Booth. I do not know if avocados will fruit in my village. I hope they do, where are you located, not the exact spot but area maybe I will get some avocados this years, hopefully!