Bank of Thailand seeks outside picks for chief as deadline nears

Bank of Thailand seeks outside picks for chief as deadline nears

Successor to Harvard grad Veerathai will have little room to cut interest rates

MASAYUKI YUDA, Nikkei staff writer

NA.jpg

Thailand has cast a wider net in its search for a new central bank governor, with incumbent Veerathai Santiprabhob's term is set to expire at the end of September. (Nikkei montage/Reuters)

BANGKOK -- Thailand has cast a wider net in its search for a new central bank governor who can lead Southeast Asia's second-largest economy out of the COVID-19 crisis, with incumbent Veerathai Santiprabhob's term is set to expire at the end of September.

Friday marks the deadline for applications, which are open to the public. The process has already been extended once after an initial list was closed on June 16.

"The ability and quality of the internal candidates is sufficient, and they are qualified, but we want more external applicants," said Rangsan Sriworasart, chairman of the selection committee.

Full story: https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Bank-of-Thailand-seeks-outside-picks-for-chief-as-deadline-nears

nk.jpg

-- © Copyright Nikkei Asian Review 2020-07-09

2 hours ago, webfact said:

"The ability and quality of the internal candidates is sufficient, and they are qualified, but we want more external applicants,"

Does that mean these external applicants will be able to do more than 'worry' about the strength of the Baht - the same as the current governor has done in just about every press release on the matter, along with his inability to do anything despite claiming he would?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Does that mean these external applicants will be able to do more than 'worry' about the strength of the Baht - the same as the current governor has done in just about every press release on the matter, along with his inability to do anything despite claiming he would?

Line 4 of the job description is very clear, worry about the strength of the Baht.

• Haha 2

Yes, I understand they have to spread a wider net, to find an identical dumbnut. The list of the people that already applied for the job, is so to say a little bit overqualified for this simple appointment. They just want somebody that can take the punishment and write "I worry so much over the strong baht" with a chalk on the blackboard 30 times everyday after work.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NE1 said:

With the old one out , does this mean we can get Visa back on our debit cards ?

VISA debit cards are still available through many Thai banks. My current Krungsri Bank debit card is VISA and I use it here in Cambodia to withdraw money from my account. I am also with Bangkok Bank, and yes, it withdrew VISA in favor of the Chinese UnionPay but there were so many complaints, Bangkok Bank introduced MASTERCARD as an alternative and that is what I also have here in Cambodia to withdraw money from ATM's. Unless you ask, Thai banks will push the Chinese UnionPay onto you!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

VISA debit cards are still available through many Thai banks. My current Krungsri Bank debit card is VISA and I use it here in Cambodia to withdraw money from my account. I am also with Bangkok Bank, and yes, it withdrew VISA in favor of the Chinese UnionPay but there were so many complaints, Bangkok Bank introduced MASTERCARD as an alternative and that is what I also have here in Cambodia to withdraw money from ATM's. Unless you ask, Thai banks will push the Chinese UnionPay onto you!

I never ever got problems with Visa , but since we went to Mastercard it is very hit and miss. Much prefered Visa.

• Thanks 1