Hitachi A/C Kaput

doctormann

I'm not sure that this is the right forum but mods can move it at their discretion.

I have a Hitachi 10000 BTU A/C unit - not an inverter type, just the bog standard one.  It's about four years old, has been regularly serviced and has been fine until yesterday.  Now it won't turn on.

The remote control 'talks' to the indoor unit so that is not the issue.  When I try to turn it on - in any mode - the louvres open, the indoor fan does not run, the compressor does not start, the louvres close again and nothing else happens.

The timer light - which is also used to show fault conditions - is flashing, 14 flashes, pause and repeat ad nauseam.  I can't find any reference to this particular condition in the Hitachi manual.  I've tried rebooting the unit by power cycling it - no effect.

Any ideas before I call in the local cowboys?

22 minutes ago, transam said:

Could try a reset, if your handset has the function. Look for a small reset hole in the handset, poke a tooth pick in the hole to press on the button inside for a few seconds..

Thanks.  Tried that - no joy.

I think you will have to call in the experts. Personally i would never buy a Hitachi again or samsung aircon. I have had both and loads of trouble. After that i installed Mitsubishi and Daikin never a problem again. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I think you will have to call in the experts. Personally i would never buy a Hitachi again or samsung aircon. I have had both and loads of trouble. After that i installed Mitsubishi and Daikin never a problem again. 

Yes, i think that it's serious.

I've had mixed success with Daikin.  I have one 12000 BTU unit that's 15 years old ans still running.  I had a 18000 BTU unit that became irreparable after only five years with persistent leaks in the condenser.  Changed it for a Samsung, which is still OK but I do think that Samsung build quality is not the best.

This ac make thing makes me laugh any make can be a problem air-cons are like cars IMHO and yours is only 4 years.

If you have reset etc and checked for leaks around the air conditioning outside unit, it could something very simple if the unit has an internal circuit breaker, get a recommended air-con guy to check it,  the worse of course is a shorted out a/c compressor.  

The problem I find with air-con people around us is their first words are get a new one, they don't like replacing compressors. 

2 hours ago, doctormann said:

When I try to turn it on - in any mode - the louvres open, the indoor fan does not run, the compressor does not start,

My guess would be the "run" capacitor  its a metal can about  3-4 inches long with 2 prongs/connections mounted near the compressor.

Replacements start at about 200 baht  depends on the rating of the original..quite easy to replace but do be careful to disconnect the electricity  and as added precaution "short" the capacitor ( with insulated screwdriver) before  removal ..do the same with the new one...or only use insulated pliers to remove /install

the capacitors as they can deliver a nasty shock !

28 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

This ac make thing makes me laugh any make can be a problem air-cons are like cars IMHO and yours is only 4 years.

If you have reset etc and checked for leaks around the air conditioning outside unit, it could something very simple if the unit has an internal circuit breaker, get a recommended air-con guy to check it,  the worse of course is a shorted out a/c compressor.  

The problem I find with air-con people around us is their first words are get a new one, they don't like replacing compressors. 

So basically your saying make does not matter, i disagree. With cars too make does matter some are better then others. But yes every make can get problems. 

5 hours ago, robblok said:

So basically your saying make does not matter, i disagree. With cars too make does matter some are better then others. But yes every make can get problems. 

Disagree all ya want a Ford will last as long as a Merc if you take care of it and it will work out cheaper too.