BANGKOK
webfact

KFC franchisee weighs US$200M sale of Thai business

KFC franchisee weighs US$200M sale of Thai business

Yantoultra Ngui and Elffie Chew, Bloomberg News

Restaurants Development Co. is exploring the sale of its KFC franchise business in Thailand for about $200 million, according to people with knowledge of the matter.

The Bangkok-based company is working with at least one adviser on the potential sale, the people said, asking not to be named as the discussions are private. Restaurants Development operates about 200 KFC outlets that employ about 4,000 staff throughout the country, according to its official website.

The talks are still at an early stage and there is no guarantee they will result in a transaction, the people said.

BNN.jpg

- © Copyright BNN Bloomberg 2020-07-09

Central (CRG) seems like a suitor?

I think they're the only other KFC franchisee here? Or maybe Yum! will buy them back?

15 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

No wonder the rate of obesity among younger Thais is growing year on year while these profit-seeking USA based companies exist. 

In this case, if I were to accept your basic complaint, it's actually Thais doing it to other Thais.

RD, franchisee of KFC Thailand, is a fast-growing Thai company with headquarters in Bangkok. RD employs more than 4,000 staff, operates over 150 KFC Restaurants throughout Thailand and is backed by a strong and committed consortium of Thai and Asian investors.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In this case, if I were to accept your basic complaint, it's actually Thais doing it to other Thais.

Yeah, it's a franchise, but KFC is still a USA based company, as is Mcdonalds and Burger King who consider fast food to be a quintessentially American tradition..     

Only $200 million? I'm interested...

15 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Run and operated in Thailand by Thai franchisees, with Thai management and Thai staff....

And in case you had any doubts about that, just try eating their food anytime... You'll know it's imitation U.S. food done by Thais for Thais in Thailand.

I like Thai KFC, nice and crunchy, always go there for my son's birthday meal.

Didn't like the KFC I had in Florida many years back, it was too sloppy.

• Like 2

No matter the country,  it's still junk food with questionable ingredients.  But don't get bogged down with that argument,  there are plenty of Thai dishes that are made with junk ingredients.   Look at the MSG isle in Makro.   Not a full isle but one could safely say there is 2 ton of it in 1kg,  2kg and 5kg bags.  And I am sure I saw 25kg bags a few years back.  Salt they got it by the truck load.  Sugar and other sweeteners semi truck load.  Let's not forget the nasty little additives that go by numbers in the cooking section. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Yum just went Bankrupt.

I hope it's a 'no-name' but apple buyer, rather than a sale to a giant existing Thai company (example  CP) so that there is still competition in the market place. 

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Run and operated in Thailand by Thai franchisees, with Thai management and Thai staff....

And in case you had any doubts about that, just try eating their food anytime... You'll know it's imitation U.S. food done by Thais for Thais in Thailand.

With most of the ultimate financial benefits in the profit & loss accounts of the ultimate US brand owner.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

no one forced them into the shop to eat KFC  ....  did they    ?

That's the problem with the world today !   no one want's to be responsible for their own actions.

Blame .... blame .....   blame   ...   don't blame me for what I did   ... lol

Well, I am certainly blaming you for this post!  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In Dec 2018 RD still had big plans to widen their branch network with 30 to 35 new restaurants each year to 2022. 

Other KFC restaurants are run by franchisers CRG ( Central Restaurant Group ) and QSA, which is owned by ThaiBev.