Teacher criticized for publicly humiliating student after cutting her hair

webfact

Teacher criticized for public shearing student - MP and education chief back up schoolgirl

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A Thai MP and a local education chief have come out in complete support of a secondary schoolgirl who had her hair shorn in a public display of authority at the flag pole of a school in Sisaket. 

"Dao" (an assumed name) is 15 and in M3. 

A teacher took scissors to part of her hair in front of other students causing her to be humiliated. 

MP Issara Seriwattanawut and chief of the area education authority Dr Chuchart Kaewnork met all concerned and laid down the law. 

2pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

They stated clearly that the teacher was completely in the wrong after the incident on July 3rd. 

Thai students are allowed to wear their hair long or short as they please. There are some restrictions on male hair. 

Issara said it was time for teachers to forget old ways and act according to the law.

The debate about long or short hair will go on forever, he said, but the law was quite clear and the teacher was in the wrong on many levels.

The teacher concerned has apologized to the mother of the student, reported Daily News. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-09

• Sad 3

Thai students are allowed to wear their hair long or short as they please. There are some restrictions on male hair. 

Issara said it was time for teachers to forget old ways and act according to the law.

Niece was born girl, but thinks she's a boy. My wife was already invited twice (and was there twice) to her school to have "the talk" about length of her hair. Too short. ????

Edited by AndyAndyAndy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

Take the teacher to the same location then shave its head both top and bottom.???? Scum to the max.

Why shaving if you think "scum to the max"?

I would go further: hair wax!

And I agree with "top and bottom".

Provided nobody forgets part medium!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The teacher concerned has apologized to the mother of the student,

I would have insisted that the apology was given at the same flagpole in front of the whole school by the teacher concerned so that no future misunderstandings of the law on hair length would occur!

Time to bring these god-like teachers back down to earth.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TooBigToFit said:

Another dumb person who shouldn't be a teacher in 2020.

Could be a good teacher, however still living in the dark ages, The teacher should be sacked and told to go back to school to learn what year we are in now.

• Like 1

I think I need to go to my daughters school for a day to see what they actually do.

I am paying for it so I would like to know. An unannounced visit may be on the cards.

Last year two teachers turned up at our home after 30 min notice at 8.00 PM to check things out, my turn!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, zyphodb said:

Interesting to see all these comments saying how outrageous it was for a teacher  to cut a students hair. When I posted a thread not long ago about my 6 year old daughter being made to have her hair cut, the majority of posters said i should basically shut up and get a life while making my daughter have her hair cut... I'm sure that you can guess what I'm thinking...

Did the teacher cut your Child's hair, or did the teacher insist that you take your child to have their hair cut?

What ever the situation, only the parents should ever be the ones involved with having their Child's hair cut (i.e. taking them to the hair salon or cutting the hair themselves). 

The idea of the ‘hair cuts’ in Thai schools is idiotic, it highlights the 3rd world thinking of those who work in Thailands schools which is one of the many reasons I’d never send my child to a Thai School. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 11:30 AM, curious297 said:

See it for what it really is, it's a Power Trip. Hang on to what little power you think you have until you don't. When was it the responsibility of a teacher to cut students hair? Teachers are there to educate yet we hear teachers are also hitting, bullying, punishing with cruel and unnecessary behaviour, stealing lunches of children, all without parents consent and it's not only Thailand. Far too many instances of teachers "tripping" over trivial student matters. My kid roles with a healthy afro. He loves it and makes him happy. He likes when the girls curiously touch his hair as they've never seen anything like it in real. It never stopped him from learning and is mostly in the top of his class. Any teacher that cuts my sons hair without my permission will have my wrath to deal with. I pay then handsomely to educate, not to practice their barber skills.

Teachers should have a new motto:

Feed the child's mind and not your ego.

Some children's parents unfortunately don't bother. A teacher at my son's school regularly used to cut the hair for any boys who wanted a haircut. He did it free, and was very good at it. 

But he would always check with the parents first to make sure it was ok with them.

Very different circumstances. 

But as with all teachers everywhere, there's good, bad and indifferent. Some do far more some the barest of minimums. And some are bad tempered bullies who shouldn't be anywhere near a classroom.

Are they taught how to humiliate, abuse and assault children at teachers college in Thailand?  In places like Australia he would never teach again or allowed near children.  Would be charged and facing prison time.  Two entirely different cultures I guess.

On 7/9/2020 at 5:56 AM, smedly said:

what the       is wrong with these people

sack this idiot now before does something indecent to feed his very obviously warped thinking

Par for the course in Thai schools, or used to be. Notice how he wears his mask, but? Is it holding the c's jaw in place, like?

When i was a kid my teacher tried to cut mine too. 

He won't try to do it again to anyone that's for sure. 

You have to set them straight. They learn quite quickly.

Edited by A1Str8

That teacher would look better if his nose was spread wider on his face, like from the far edge of one eye to the other. 

40+ years ago I had a Thai boss in the Land Development department who was a piece of work.  Short, chubby little F#@! who once threatened to kill a lowly co-worker who was a nice guy. I could go on, but no point.  These guys are out there. Do be aware of attitude and their demeanor.

Edited by Damrongsak