Thai immigration launches newly updated website

5 hours ago, khastan said:

Friend of mine went to do his normal 90 day at Nong Khai yesterday and they demanded to see his bank book had 800000 baht in it, not just one person but two. So yes they can ask for whatever the hell they want.

can one assume this was on his first 90 days after extension, or was it just a random anytime thing? ????

2 hours ago, stouricks said:

It would have been nice to see 'Queen's English' being used instead of the pidgeon translations. I would have helped them if they had asked nicely.

What! Without a work permit! I think not sir, I think not.  ????

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

maybe some farang needs to sit down with their IT guy and explain the problems and issues.

Obviously they are not aware of how bad it is ... 

We can sit here and complain until the cows come home but that ain't gonna fix it.

The 'face' issue here would prevent anything remotely like your suggestion from ever happening. 

If the designers were aware of their incompetence they would have sought advice before they started. If they are aware of it now they won't willingly admit it. If they are not aware of how bad it is then they are truly incompetent. 

I have yet to see a Thai website that is easy to navigate and works properly. Even the Bangkok Bank website is only minimally functional.

This is just not a strength here. The Thai IT infrastructure is in its infancy. 

The typical Thai citizen does not reach for a web browser in daily life. Until that changes there is no impetus (money) for web development to grow. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

maybe some farang needs to sit down with their IT guy and explain the problems and issues.

Obviously they are not aware of how bad it is ... 

We can sit here and complain until the cows come home but that ain't gonna fix it.

Are you volunteering then Steven? they're your mates after all...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

If this is any indication of the quality of websites produced by domestic Computer Science grads from Thai universities, than this country is well and truly *****ed technologically. 

My 13 yo niece could put together something better using Wix.
Actually, this looks like something a 13 yo put together with Wix.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

This page can't load Google Maps correctly.

GM doesn't load on my browser either when viewing their page...

And, if they're gonna have a supposedly EN version of their webpage with the directory of Immigration offices, why is all the Immigration Office address info still showing up only in TH? And the same with the News, Announcement and Procurement headlines?

Well, all I can say is, it certainly is more modern looking than its predecessor site in terms of web design. But it would be nice if it was also actually functional.

• Like 1

Wow, with website design like this it is no wonder that Somkid was pressing the US Ambassador to help turn the Thailand into another Silicon Valley. Truly great work guys all the tech giants will come running to Thailand once they see this site.

Seriously I bet if they hired some 15-yr old kid they would get better results. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow, I really wonder how they decided on who makes the page. Theres way too much scroll events for no reason. Elements are being moved by Javascript instead of just being fixed with CSS. Google Maps doesn't work. Some text is placed half outside the viewport, text hasn't been tested on mobile devices because as soon as it breaks, the line height is way too small and the lines are overlapping.

Looking at the markup, the whole page seems like it has just been pieced together by separate code snippets/library that full-filled the requirement for certain features (like the flipping cards). The performance is probably one of the worst I have ever seen on a onepager homepage.

If someone can hook me up with whoever is in charge for that homepage, I will gladly program them a professional one for a 1 year extension.

Edited by thanaka
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, thanaka said:

Wow, I really wonder how they decided on who makes the page. Theres way too much scroll events for no reason. Elements are being moved by Javascript instead of just being fixed with CSS. Google Maps doesn't work. Some text is placed half outside the viewport, text hasn't been tested on mobile devices because as soon as it breaks, the line height is way too small and the lines are overlapping.

Looking at the markup, the whole page seems like it has just been pieced together by separate code snippets/library that full-filled the requirement for certain features (like the flipping cards). The performance is probably one of the worst I have ever seen on a onepager homepage.

If someone can hook me up with whoever is in charge for that homepage, I will gladly program them a professional one for a 1 year extension.

Work Permit!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, thanaka said:

As somebody with a background in web design, all I can say is: "Wow.  Just wow."

Thais seem to like seizure-inducing flashing and moving parts on a web page.  Kind of the visual equivalent of kazoo sounds on TV dramas. I get so distracted trying to navigate some Thai web sites, I just give up.  I'm more of a "Just the facts, ma'am" kind of guy, especially when looking for information on a government web site.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Flip the 47 and 30 card to see your prize: 

*the moblie application is under maintenance* Sorry for the inconvenienc

"moblie application" and not working.

11 hours ago, heist said:

Looks like it was built by someone following a YouTube tutorial on how to build a website.

Also: 

immi.jpg

You need a valid payment method, like a credit card, to obtain a proper API key for the Google map. 

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

2020-07-09-204.jpg.ce04c18097354fe98358a1c4255648de.jpg

Well, that would appear to be that, then, in the case of those 2 particular apps until Songkran 2564 at least. And I do mean 2564 AD, of course!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Aforek said:

Chapter 22, " retirement extension", they don't speak of the mandatory insurance; it seems to be the text of last year, before the changement for O-A visa 

Not to mention the spectacular own goal scored by the announcement of the closure of a temporary immigration office which is now set to re-open!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

If this is any indication of the quality of websites produced by domestic Computer Science grads from Thai universities, than this country is well and truly *****ed technologically. 

My 13 yo niece could put together something better using Wix.
Actually, this looks like something a 13 yo put together with Wix.

At least the video segment that leads off the main page I recall being produced by some Thai video production/media contractor... I'm kinda wondering whether they might have used the same company to do the new version of their website.  I'd say it's pretty likely NOT something that anyone in Immigration did in-house.

Which would also explain why the site hasn't been updated with more recent info and developments. They seem to view websites as a do-it-once and then leave them alone things instead of a living communication method that's meant to be regularly refreshed and updated.

The do-it-once approach is something a contractor can do for Immigration. The update it regularly to keep it up-to-date -- if it doesn't involve issuing a paper memo -- apparently is beyond the capabilities of those in-house.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Under the 90 Day Notification link, there is no mention of using the internet or phone app to do the 90 day report. Just lists in person, by someone authorized by you, or by mail.

Hope just an oversight and they have stopped doing by internet or phone app.

10 minutes ago, KhunKenAP said:

Under the 90 Day Notification link, there is no mention of using the internet or phone app to do the 90 day report. Just lists in person, by someone authorized by you, or by mail.

Hope just an oversight and they have stopped doing by internet or phone app.

It is identical to what was on last 2 websites they had.

Only on line reporting is possible now. https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn90online/online/tm47/TM47Action.do

The app is not working.

35 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Which would also explain why the site hasn't been updated with more recent info and developments. They seem to view websites as a do-it-once and then leave them alone things instead of a living communication method that's meant to be regularly refreshed and updated.

They could of at least kept the announcements that was on the previous  site. Some of them were from years ago and were still on the site. Even the links to them are dead. I have tried one for a recent one and it just lead to the main page.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They could of at least kept the announcements that was on the previous  site. Some of them were from years ago and were still on the site. Even the links to them are dead. I have tried one for a recent one and it just lead to the main page.

Just spitballing here...\

1. You could try the Internet Archive site and see if it captured any of the prior Immigration website pages...

https://archive.org/web/web.php

2. You could do a Google search using the address/link for the prior page/pages, and then see if in the search result Google has a cached version of the prior page/pages.

It's really a very great shame.  A well-designed website would be a huge help.  This one is a mess and essentially no help at all. 

Any update should begin, at a minimum, with two simple bits of advice:

1) Don't have any fancy animations and graphics.  None.  They don't provide useful information; they only distract.

2) Have the "English" version contain only English, and have a native speaker proofread every line of every page of the English version.

• Like 2

Just a few minutes ago I did my 90-Day report using the OLD website, having failed on both the mobile app. and the new website - well, didn't really get started on either because they are both inoperative. 

Instant response and approval with 'Next Appointment' slip to print.

1 hour ago, MartinL said:

Just a few minutes ago I did my 90-Day report using the OLD website, having failed on both the mobile app. and the new website - well, didn't really get started on either because they are both inoperative. 

The is no "new" online reporting website. It has been the same website and URL for many years.

The app has been dead for over a month and they have a notice it is not working on the website.

On 7/8/2020 at 9:08 PM, mtls2005 said:

On the plus side: links to TM47 and TM30 webpages work, so there's that.

I thought the TM30 reporting every time you sleep away from home had been dropped in favour of only reporting when you change permanent address .