Pattaya: Woman and son rescued after car washed away in floods

webfact

Just now, Don Mega said:

So, you know the flooded road in question ?

Like I said, I've observed flash floods in a few states. They happen fast, they can happen anywhere , and it can be years before an area gets inundated, and people let their guard down and think they can just drive through water that appears shallow.  More quick floods from around the world........................

Just now, fredwiggy said:

Like I said, I've observed flash floods in a few states. They happen fast, they can happen anywhere , and it can be years before an area gets inundated, and people let their guard down and think they can just drive through water that appears shallow.  More quick floods from around the world........................

but do you know this particular piece of road and the nature of the flooding ?

OK, part of the problem is the location. Where this happened is much further along the bypass between Khao Noi and Khao Talo, in the area where they did the ditch work last year. The sign board in the background is for the Khao Talo intersection.
I initially thought this was at the sump station closer to the Khao Noi intersection.

In the other thread there are some phone camera pics of a flooded car. Took awhile but I found the piece of road where those pics were taken. Turns out, it's the same car/location as in this story.

These pics are the same car.                       The guy lives across the road.             Chillin' in the back yard after the rescue !

Screenshot_20200707-151407.thumb.png.698755cb410e274a73b6a48428d43db6.png.cf7c2053ec08be2a4e5f2a3144f0777b.png        Screenshot_20200707-151354.png.b4977e17a8d54c19433f630a4a16895f.thumb.png.22b2b8ec398960059da81d613a680329.png       Screenshot_20200707-151400.png.2d7eda3f0c755059948629ded56af142.thumb.png.f9e20834ad5e1bfc2a16a0e9ad34f9a1.png

In the pic on the right you can see the concrete barriers are missing (since at least Feb 2019).
 TR.jpg.f36fc76a3a3f753151e3817de4573a32.jpg.6489f589460a9d9e8dfb20c425d4e5aa.jpg  Untitled.png.af874ecd108488bf75796aacd719d823.png

However, there is nowhere there that a "flash flood" would happen or a sudden "wall of water" appear. The grade isn't that steep along there, nor is there enough of a "channel" to confine the water into a narrow area.

The only "wall of water" you would get would be from hitting the water at high speed. I've done that with puddles and streams (in a 4x4 truck, not a Mercedes car) just to see how high of a "wall" of spray you could get. (Did it in an M-113 APC too - didn't impress the guys in the back who got the mud shower though !)

She may have tried driving through the water, not realizing how deep it was. When she hit it, it would have thrown up a "wall of water" and I suspect the current would have dragged the car to that gap in the concrete barriers.

The pics in the OP are deceptive as they only show the "long after" version of the event, when it looks like the water wasn't that high. When you see the "just after it happened" pics, it becomes a little clearer of just how high the water was.

(But still doesn't explain how there could have been a "flash flood" or "wall of water".)

By "flash flood" they could simply mean the usual flooding that happens in those areas, where the water level rises rapidly in a heavy downfall and fills the area in a "flash" - but it's not like the raging torrents they show in the Hollywood movies (not in that area).

Just now, Don Mega said:

but do you know this particular piece of road and the nature of the flooding ?

Didn't I say I didn't? This is Thailand, known for flooding and people driving through water thinking they could,l just like Texas. The woman obviously didn't drive through neck deep water, but was trapped in water up to her neck, meaning she drove through shallow water , and it rose quick and she was trapped. This means water from surrounding areas converged on where she was very fast, causing a flash flood. It doesn't have to be near a river or creek. It can just be a low area.. not prone to flooding but heavy rains and being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

3 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

By "flash flood" they could simply mean the usual flooding that happens in those areas, where the water level rises rapidly in a heavy downfall and fills the area in a "flash" - but it's not like the raging torrents they show in the Hollywood movies (not in that area).

but in Texas..............

Just now, Don Mega said:

but in Texas..............

Flash floods happen everywhere. A flash flood is a rapid flooding of low-lying areas: washes, rivers, dry lakes and depressions. It may be caused by heavy rain associated with a severe thunderstorm, hurricane, tropical storm, or meltwater from ice or snow flowing over ice sheets or snowfields. Wikipedia................Yes, she could have driven through shallow water and ended up in deeper, but up to her neck isn't happening unless the water rose. If the water was a foot deep and she went through it at high speed, it would stop the car. Up to her neck in that car would have to be about 4 feet deep.

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Read up on how fast water can rise, in dry areas not prone to flooding.  All I need to post . lol  Okay Mr. Thaivisa.

you should visit Thailand (atleast once) and in particular this piece of road to realise how far wrong your rambling's on flood water are.

Just now, Don Mega said:

you should visit Thailand (atleast once) and in particular this piece of road to realise how far wrong your rambling's on flood water are.

I live in Thailand, and flash flooding and rapidly rising water happens in every country. I don't have to visit a particular road to know what rapidly rising water from a heavy thunderstorm can do. I've witnessed it hundreds of times in at least 7 states and 2 countries. What you do is rambling, without having any knowledge about the subject. This woman did not drive through 4 feet of water, no matter how fast she was driving. She tried to get through an area with low water, thinking, like everyone else that doesn't understand the trouble she was heading into, and when her car stopped, the water rose. It didn't have to be a wall of water, just fast enough to see her panic and freeze while the water rose higher. It doesn't have to be  fast moving water like you see in the videos. Just fast enough for her to sit there and not try and go out the back door or windows. The car is not going to float towards deeper water before she decides not to open the door and get out. I've seen water fill a parking lot, nowhere near any water source, within minutes to over 2 feet deep from heavy rain and being in a low area. Not a flash flood? A rapid flooding of low lying areas, meaning the water came from uphill very fast.

Just now, fredwiggy said:

I live in Thailand, and flash flooding and rapidly rising water happens in every country. I don't have to visit a particular road to know what rapidly rising water from a heavy thunderstorm can do. I've witnessed it hundreds of times in at least 7 states and 2 countries. What you do is rambling, without having any knowledge about the subject. This woman did not drive through 4 feet of water, no matter how fast she was driving. She tried to get through an area with low water, thinking, like everyone else that doesn't understand the trouble she was heading into, and when her car stopped, the water rose. It didn't have to be a wall of water, just fast enough to see her panic and freeze while the water rose higher. It doesn't have to be  fast moving water like you see in the videos. Just fast enough for her to sit there and not try and go out the back door or windows. The car is not going to float towards deeper water before she decides not to open the door and get out. I've seen water fill a parking lot, nowhere near any water source, within minutes to over 2 feet deep from heavy rain and being in a low area. Not a flash flood? A rapid flooding of low lying areas, meaning the water came from uphill very fast.

Nice wall of text, are you familiar with the piece of road in question ?

Just now, Don Mega said:

Nice wall of text, are you familiar with the piece of road in question ?

It might help you if you actually read what others post and not troll just to get a response. If you read what I've posted, you will see, and maybe understand, that ANY low lying area can have a flash flood, meaning rapidly rising water. If you weren't there, you can't know. If the area isn't a flat table top area for miles around, then it's probably, like most of Thailand, rolling and has lower areas. Meaning heavy rain can come from higher areas and flood the lower area quickly. You may never understand, and from what I've seen in many of your other replies, are just trying to troll.

5 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

It might help you if you actually read what others post and not troll just to get a response. If you read what I've posted, you will see, and maybe understand, that ANY low lying area can have a flash flood, meaning rapidly rising water. If you weren't there, you can't know. If the area isn't a flat table top area for miles around, then it's probably, like most of Thailand, rolling and has lower areas. Meaning heavy rain can come from higher areas and flood the lower area quickly. You may never understand, and from what I've seen in many of your other replies, are just trying to troll.

are you familiar with the piece of road in question

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Another driver who thinks car can drive in deep flood water, when will they ever learn to stop and turn around.

Instead  drive thru as  fast as they can ,usually some twit  in a pick up or  a lorry

17 hours ago, johng said:

The driver said the water was above her neck and had to tilt her head skywards to carry on breathing

luckily a rescuer got to her in time breaking the window to get them out.

She she was waiting in a dry-ish spot for the rain to stop but all of  a sudden a mass of water came and swept the car away.

the water is hardly moving....in the photo....so how can a merc, possibly over a ton in weight GET WASHED away ???!!!

14 minutes ago, essox essox said:

the water is hardly moving....in the photo....so how can a merc, possibly over a ton in weight GET WASHED away ???!!!

They do actually float (sorta) once a level of water gets to a certain depth.

But yes the water s not flowing as hat point in the road is like a catchment area or dam, it just fills with little to no flow.

Just now, Don Mega said:

They do actually float (sorta) once a level of water gets to a certain depth.

But yes the water s not flowing as hat point in the road is like a catchment area or dam, it just fills with little to no flow.

Maybe the picture was taken after the water receded? If you , again, would look at not only the video I sent, but the other hundred available about flash floods, you would see how fast water rises. Living in Texas for 32 years, I saw first hand how bad it gets after a "gulleywasher" and heard on tv how many people foolishly drove past barricades and lost their lives because the water took their truck (car) downstream and they couldn't get out. Most times they were found in the vehicle drowned.

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Maybe the picture was taken after the water receded? If you , again, would look at not only the video I sent, but the other hundred available about flash floods, you would see how fast water rises. Living in Texas for 32 years, I saw first hand how bad it gets after a "gulleywasher" and heard on tv how many people foolishly drove past barricades and lost their lives because the water took their truck (car) downstream and they couldn't get out. Most times they were found in the vehicle drowned.

yeah you keep waffling on about that.

fact remains this portion of road is like a dam, it just fills up, there is very little flow or turbulence to the water.

good to hear once again how it is in Texas.