Gunners’ players feature prominently in list of football failures

webfact

Gunners’ players feature prominently in list of football failures

Arsenal trio among the most viewed football nightmares on YouTube

David Buckley 

li.jpg

Brazil's David Luiz featured prominently in a 7-1 defeat by Germany. Picture: Shutterstock/Jefferson Bernardes

Arsenal players have found their way onto a list that no footballer wants to appear on – the most viewed football fails on YouTube. The top 10 includes three Gunners directly and one, David Luiz, indirectly.

Former full-back Lee Dixon earns a dishonourable mention at No 5 for a headed own goal which has received 1.5 million views. Then at No 7 his team-mates Thierry Henry and Robert Pires (1.2m views) gain notoriety for the lash-up they made of a penalty when the latter tried to pass it to the former.

Current player Luiz is featured in second place for his part in Brazil’s 7-1 humiliation at the hands of Germany in the 2014 World Cup semi-final. Soccer pundit Alan Hansen described Luiz’s role in the game as ‘the worst performance I have seen’. Some say he was to blame for all but one of the seven goals. It should be pointed out that when the game took place Luiz had just joined Paris St Germain from Chelsea and did not become an Arsenal player until August 2019 after another spell in west London with the Blues.

It’s my opinion that Luiz, who commanded a record fee for a defender when he moved to the Paris club, has not been the same force since that World Cup game in front of his own fans. At the time he was a dynamic player at both ends of the pitch but, for me, his defensive capabilities are no longer what they were. I was surprised when he was offered a new one-year contract recently given that his performance after coming on as a substitute against Manchester City left much to be desired.

Full story: https://londoninspire.co.uk/gunners-players-feature-prominently-in-list-of-football-failures/

1RHcVpx.jpg

-- © Copyright London Inspire 2020-07-09