Import -customs duty.

malt25

Good afternoon all  ????

I'm contemplating purchasing some medication online. International supplier. One of my concerns is the Thai Customs department. I've read of some horrendous stories of Thai Customs impounding & demanding exorbitant fees to release the goods. Does anyone have any first hand experience ? I think regular post would be preferred over courier or freight companies ???  Are all packages inspected or only random ???

Thanks in advance.

Medication invariably needs an import permit and you won't get one as a private individual. So the couriers are absolutely out.

Regular post may or may not get scanned (probably more likely these days) and if they spot something like medication you could get a visit from the BiB and a nice smuggling charge along with detention and deportation. Or they may just ignore it as not worth bothering, this time.

Is what you a contemplating buying available here? Legal here? Yes and yes, buy here and pay the price premium.

You can bring a certain quantity of prescription meds with you but shipping it is a potential nightmare.

Sheryl said:

“You are not allowed to import any type of pharmaceutical or medical supply/equipment without an FDA license that a private person cannot get.

That said. in practice customs will usually let through small packages if sent by regular mail (NOT a courier - those will not get through).”

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1084318-online-pharmacies-delivery-to-thailand/

Edited by Maestro
Deleted part of the post that was in reply to a removed post.

20 minutes ago, kiteman9 said:

Not only narcotics and other so-called specially controlled drugs would need an impossible-to-get import licence, but also all other types of medicines. I have seen vitamin capsules impounded.

59 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Thanks all.  I should have included, the meds are available here, over the counter, no script needed. But, horrendously expensive.

I would pay the premium price here unless you have someone coming who can hand carry them for you (even then significant quantities may attract unwelcome attention).

The risk of losing the shipment or worse really is too great.

But of course as with all things it's up2u.

• Like 2

You need a license to import controlled medicines, and even then it is limited, but does this actually also apply to medicines that are available over the counter here?

Aren't there generic versions available here.

If it was me, I would just take the risk if it is worth it pricewise, but send it by regular priority mail.

You would be surprised how many worse and forbidden goods sail through each and every day.

7 minutes ago, Susco said:

You need a license to import controlled medicines, and even then it is limited, but does this actually also apply to medicines that are available over the counter here?

Afaik everything which is eaten/swallowed requires to be approved by Thai FDA and an import permit to be allowed into Thailand.

So in theory you couldn't even send a bar of chocolate into Thailand. With a bar of chocolate they would probably be lenient, but i guess that everything which comes in form of a pill has a good chance to be confiscated.