Parents devastated to find their child drowned near school

webfact

Parents devastated to find their child drowned near school

By The Nation

800_ca69f80b14570d3.jpg

It was heartbreak for two parents when they found that the child they had come to pick up from kindergarten had drowned because the school did not have enough teachers to watch over all the children.

The incident took place on Wednesday (July 8 ) in Sa Kaeo province, and Wang Nam Yen police was notified of the tragedy at 10am.

Officers arrived at the school to inspect the bodies of two young students of the Ban Tha Tasi School, which had been fished out of the pond by villagers. 

The children, identified as Thanakorn, three, and Peerawat, four, were believed to have been dead for more than an hour. They were students of Anuban 1 and Anuban 2, classes that did not have a supervisor.

Ban Tha Tasi School’s management said that since the school has just reopened, and they did not have enough staff to watch over all the children. The bodies were found by an older child who had gone hunting for the two and found them floating in the pond. 

The parents said they were not angry and understood that their children must have been mischievous, while the school promised to be more cautious to prevent a similar tragedy.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30391004

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-07-09

• Sad 4

The parents said they were not angry and understood that their children must have been mischievous, while the school promised to be more cautious to prevent a similar tragedy.

So everything sorted out then. Nothing like a story with good ending. ????

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Disgraceful behaviour by the school.

If they don't have the staff to watch them, the kids shouldn't be there.

Disgraceful by somebody, but if the government ordered the school to open, who's to blame? 

I suspect that, all over Thailand, there are businesses and agencies running short handed because their employees went back home to live with family while they had no paycheck rolling in, and can't be available at their work location until they sort out transportation, a place to live, etc.

But if the gub'ment says "open up", the schools have very little choice but to open up and do the best they can with whoever's on hand.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

The parents said they were not angry and understood that their children must have been mischievous, while the school promised to be more cautious to prevent a similar tragedy

Closure is peace.

• Like 1

Before slinging mud at anyone, consider a story from 52 years ago.  An American husband/wife were at a party at a regional Thai governor's house with their young son.  The party was going on indoors and out.  The wife was in the house thinking the son was with the husband.  The husband thought he was with the wife.  The son drowned in a klong behind the governor's house.  The mother, who was pregnant with her second child, lost that child soon after birth.

Tragic, so tragic  must be so heart breaking for any parent to lose a child.

Saying that, the school should act immediately to make the school safe for children.

Years ago, i would go collect my ex wifes son from kindergarten, his teacher would not allow him out of the room until i was at the door to collect him.

That should happen at every school that has kindergarten children.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

OK, so I thought about slinging mud...    and... I will still sling mud at the school, a lot of it. 

Sometimes its takes a minor lapse in judgement for a tragedy to occur.... this school was a tragedy waiting to happen, thats different. 

At my sons previous school I was waiting in the playground to pick him up. While waiting a tree branch fell down from about 8meter (about 50kgs estimated weight). If it had fallen on a child it could have killed them. 

I went straight to the front office and spoke with the secretaries, they said they’d pass the information on to the head. I said I want to speak with the head directly. I showed the head teacher what had happened, he immediate roped off the area and closed the playground. 

I received an e-mail from him telling me he’d had an arborist to check out all the trees and fell down any ‘questionable’ branches. 

A responsible response - though the actions should have been more proactive. Where kids are involved (well, anyone) there are no second chances towards safety.

Unfortunately water safety in Thailand is pretty poor - I mean a pond in an area with 3-4 year olds are playing unsupervised... Heck, 3-4 year olds playing unsupervised anyway - What Dhe Flook !!!! 

was the previous school in Thailand if so where did he find an arborist ?

23 hours ago, webfact said:

The parents said they were not angry and understood that their children must have been mischievous

3 and 4 years old, unsupervised.  I do not understand how the parents could not blame the school...

6 hours ago, tracker1 said:

was the previous school in Thailand if so where did he find an arborist ?

Yes it was (an Int’l school in central BK).

I’ve no idea where they found the arborist - doubtful it was a fill educated arborist, more likely some labourers who would chop off the branches.... 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes it was (an Int’l school in central BK).

I’ve no idea where they found the arborist - doubtful it was a fill educated arborist, more likely some labourers who would chop off the branches.... 

As a qualified arborist I have never seen any work here that has ever appeared to be done by anyone qualified that's why I  asked