Returning Home To Laos

My wife is a Laos citizen,we have been in Thailand since March,she has permission to stay untill the 30th July,she would like to go back to Lao's before the visa amnasty ends.

Does anybody out there know if she can return home,and if so does she need any special documents to leave Thailand and enter Laos.

She would exit via the border nong kahi.

Many Thanks

She can try, but she will have to do 14 days State Quarantine in Laos.  Lao nationals are being allowed to return.

This is from a Lao Expat page:

10) Can I cross the bridge into Laos?

Yes. If you are in Thailand and have all the relevant documents in place then you can come in.

14) Do I have to quarantine? Can I do this at home?

Yes. Everyone has to do 14 days quarantine. Unless you are a diplomat, you will need to complete this at one of the registered hotels. The details of these hotels and the prices can be found in this group.

15) If I'm in quarantine, how much can I go out?

You can't. You must stay in your room for the entire 14 days. You will get twice daily visits from officials to take your temperature, etc.

Thank you for the information,would you know what relevant documents are required ?we have contacted the Laos embassy in Bangkok,they just tell us the border is closed and you can't go back to Lao's. They sent us a letter to show at immigration to extend her stay when the amnasty finishes at the end of the month,which she won't need I presume if the amnasty is extended.She has no problem regarding the 14 days quarantine so any further information regarding relevent  documentation would be very much appreciated.

1 hour ago, NamH2O said:

Thank you for the information,would you know what relevant documents are required ?we have contacted the Laos embassy in Bangkok,they just tell us the border is closed and you can't go back to Lao's. They sent us a letter to show at immigration to extend her stay when the amnasty finishes at the end of the month,which she won't need I presume if the amnasty is extended.She has no problem regarding the 14 days quarantine so any further information regarding relevent  documentation would be very much appreciated.

Try joining this Facebook Group, and I'm sure someone will be able to help you.  It was where I copied the information from.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/145058063500689/203495600990268/

Laos in the time of Covid

She needs to contact the Lao Consulate in Khon Khaen and fill out the paperwork to apply to repatriate to Laos, she will also need a medical certificate, but best to contact them and see what the specific requirements are.

20 hours ago, Lee4Life said:

She needs to contact the Lao Consulate in Khon Khaen and fill out the paperwork to apply to repatriate to Laos, she will also need a medical certificate, but best to contact them and see what the specific requirements are.

Thanks for that info,we will go to the Laos embassy tomorrow in BKK and make enquiries there,we are in pattaya now so much nearer than khon kaen. Thanks again

Just now, NamH2O said:

Thanks for that info,we will go to the Laos embassy tomorrow in BKK and make enquiries there,we are in pattaya now so much nearer than khon kaen. Thanks again

Let us know what they say.  I'm in the opposite situation - my Lao wife and British son are stuck in Laos and need to get home to Bangkok.

13 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Let us know what they say.  I'm in the opposite situation - my Lao wife and British son are stuck in Laos and need to get home to Bangkok.

Ok will do,will post any info here.

18 minutes ago, NamH2O said:

Ok will do,will post any info here.

Just looked at requirements for Thai nationals returning from UK,I suppose the requirements will be the same for Thais returning from Laos,just change (fit to fly certificate) with a covid-19 test certificate. I would suggest she visits the Thai embassy in Vientiane if not already done so,they have 2 one that does the Visas,and another not far away,both can be found on Google.

Screenshot_20200713-101153_Samsung Internet.jpg

3 hours ago, NamH2O said:

Just looked at requirements for Thai nationals returning from UK,I suppose the requirements will be the same for Thais returning from Laos,just change (fit to fly certificate) with a covid-19 test certificate. I would suggest she visits the Thai embassy in Vientiane if not already done so,they have 2 one that does the Visas,and another not far away,both can be found on Google.

Screenshot_20200713-101153_Samsung Internet.jpg

Update on repatriation for Laos citizen returning from Thailand.

The process as I understand it from the wife is,to register with laos embassy complete the registration form,provide photo evidence of passport ID card permanent address in Laos,telephone number Laos,contact number Thai, address in Thailand, reason you need to return to Laos and at which border you will use to leave/enter,how you will be travelling to your border of choice. The information is then sent to Laos    ( electronically I presume) for processing by Laos officials. When complete the Laos embassy Thailand will phone us,I presume they then post the repatriation document to our address in Thailand.They say the process can take up to 2 weeks.Lets just hope we get it in time to allow for travel to Nong Khai before the visa amnesty finishes at the end of the month.

Archived