90-day report leaves me confused

Backstory:

I entered Thailand on February 11, 2020 on a non-immigrant multi-entry visa for purpose of visiting my Thai spouse. Validity of that visa was until Jan 16, 2021. 

On April 21, 2020, I applied for, and was granted, a retirement extension good until May 10, 2021.

Today:

I went to CW and filled out and presented the 90-day report form. The agent who processed that for me accepted it and then said that I had to also renew my original visa by applying for a certificate of entry. I tried to ask why I needed that when I thought that my getting the retirement extension was sufficient for remaining in the country. He couldn't explain it to me in English but told me I had to apply for the re-entry certificate. 

So, I filled out the form for the re-entry certificate and when I spoke with the new agent, she couldn't explain it to me either. The only thing that they both could say was that if I didn't get the re-entry certificate, the retirement visa sticker in my passport would not be enough. They said I had to "renew" the original visa that I used to enter the country if I wanted to be able to leave and get back in. Then, they charged me $3,800 Baht. 

Is that as it should be? I thought once I got the retirement extension, I just had to do a 90-day report as scheduled, then re-up in a year. 

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You do not have to have a re-entry permit.

It is only needed if you travel to keep your extension valid when you enter the country.

So I understand correctly: Since I don't currently have a plan to travel, I don't need the re-entry permit. But, if I decided to travel out and back in during my year that my extension is valid, I would need the permit to get back in. The visa extension would not be sufficient to show upon re-entry at a Thai airport. Is that correct?

24 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

So I understand correctly: Since I don't currently have a plan to travel, I don't need the re-entry permit. But, if I decided to travel out and back in during my year that my extension is valid, I would need the permit to get back in. The visa extension would not be sufficient to show upon re-entry at a Thai airport. Is that correct?

Correct and sounds like you got screwed !!

Not required to buy a re-entry permit ( 1000 baht single entry, 3,800 baht multi entry ) unless you plan to leave the country and use the re-entry to gain entry.

During these uncertain times for future travel it is ill advised to purchase something that possibly is not going to be used. 
Re-entry permits can be purchased at immigration or airports ( on exit ) as and when required.