Follow seven steps for a safe return to Thailand

snoop1130

28 minutes ago, paulikens said:

.......... i think they have to bite the bullet eventually but who knows? ..........

Everybody has to bite the bullet eventually whether it be 1 year or 10 year lock down, the virus is coming.

It is a virus free roaming the world.  There has never been a successful vaccine for covid type virus.  Eventually, we will all be exposed if not infected.  Kinda like the internet, you can't stop the signal.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

You have a Thai national colleague that has been refused entry to his/her home country Thailand.

Can you elaborate on that please because I thought all national had a right to return.

They do however its being made rediculously hard to return. After almost 3 weeks of visiting the Thai embassy here he finally managed to get permission to return. His flight (Qatar Air) was cancelled and he was informed it would be several weeks before they would accept more bookings. If you check flight radar DOH-BKK QR836 is flying daily. Qatar have informed him they are not permitted to take bookings on the outward leg (I presume at the behest of the Thai Govt). As mentioned previously they (Thai embassy) have now given him a return date. He is dealing with Thai nationals at the embassy, his opinion of them might result in a ban for me if repeated on here. Trying to arrange alternative flights is not an option. He lives in Songkhla so I suggested he try via KL (Qatar are still taking bookings for KL) and the border post at Padang Basar. This however would require quarantine in KL after which he'd require further permission from the embassy there. 

21 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Sounds reasonable, not sure why so many TV members are moaning about it across many threads.

Perhaps because it is a moronic , short term nonsense policy which will only increase the economic woes of millions of ordinary Thai people.

6 hours ago, theoldgit said:

There is no restriction on travellers from Thailand entering the UK.

All those entering from Thailand, be they Thai, UK nationals, or indeed any other nationality traveling from Thailand, are however required to provide contact details and to self isolate at a given address for 14 days. 

@theoldgitBut are the U.K. embassy issuing visas knowing the difficulties the Thai will have in getting back to Thailand - especially if there is a another full lockdown and second wave?

5 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Hotels can be had cheaper.

Why do you reckon you would be given a choice? Returning foreigners quarantining by order will be given government allocated space in an expensive hotel, like it or lump it.

55 minutes ago, paulikens said:

@Traubert i dont know what it is. all i know its OTT. maybe when ya numbers are that low u wanna keep it like that but i think they have to bite the bullet eventually but who knows? its laughable when they have way more deaths on the road but that issue is never addressed. on the take from who?

I have no idea but its a popular theory.

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’ve eaten insects - does that count ??? 

Piggybacking on a repatriation flight, if that helps with the semantics....

That commenters high number of posts are in inverse proportion to his IQ ???? 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Why would Thailand give a free flight to repatriate a foreigner to their home country?

I checked Qatar for a flight bangkok to Sydney, price was Bt.296,000.00 for a flight next week.

Thats a commercial possibility. 

And will be cancelled like many Qatar flights. 

So price is irrelevant. 

Repatriation flights are not published. 

The price from Bangkok to Sydney would be arranged by the  respective embassies...

5 hours ago, harrykylee said:

I’m wondering the same thing. Baht 296,000 sounds ridiculous (even given the current situation).

Id wonder how many folks awaiting repatriation can afford Baht 296,000 a ticket. Heck round up 6 of them at Baht 296,000 and you might be able to charter yourself a private jet even.

When Thailand made the announcement that it may permit ‘private flights’ to land I actually considered that possibility.

i.e. Take a regular flight in to a nearby country which doesn’t have such strict restrictions. Then Charter a private flight into Bangkok. The issue - All nearby countries have similar restrictions to Thailand (quarantine etc).

2 minutes ago, Emmess said:

How much did you pay for it, if you don't mind telling.

32,000 baht for the Policy for the year (I’m 45)

No OPD / World Wide Cover Ex. USA

33,000 baht deductible 

(its the yearly policy I would have taken anyway, even without Covid-19). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

A bunch of confused retirees and returning offshore workers that married girls with dubious pasts and needy families are not going to save the Thai economy.

They would need to open up the borders completely and that is an enormous risk at the moment. An enormous risk.

You still seem to think every foreigner is only capable of meeting hoes and poor farm girls... 

Is this the only exposure you’ve had to life in Thailand?.... 

Don’t judge others by your own diminished scope of exposure... 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, 86Tiger said:

We can just sit back and see how many others think it "sounds reasonable." 

Proof will be in the numbers.  I am sure the immigration queues will be back to 1 hour wait in no time.

Because No one is going to come to Thailand on a holiday and be quarantined for 14 days...  Most holidays are 30 days or less.  So you are going to stay in a hotel room for 1/2 of your vacation?  I think not.  I usually come 3 to 4 times a year at 10 days a pop.  What incentive do I have to return now?

Just now, Jackin1960 said:

What is the Thai / Laos border like to cross  for foreigners? 

When they're open the Thai/Laos crossings are easy.  Some crossings are open now for goods, repatriations and "special" cases.  Hopefully, more people will be allowed to cross soon, especially if the Thai visa amnesty ends.

7 hours ago, Donga said:

What evidence do you want? These are some of the things Thailand did to to be successful, tell me which you struggle with:

1. Closed borders to Chinese early enough. And when I arrived Feb 26, was temp checked and everyone was already wearing masks. Totally different feeling from leaving Sydney the same day with incoming passengers strolling through as usual and hugging their loved ones etc.
2. Each person who tested positive in Thailand was hospitalised. Contacts placed in quarantine.
3. Case contacts were diligently traced.
4. Recall the scare when folk in Bangkok went back to the provinces as they lost their jobs - then the heath million volunteers, my partner was one, were checking households daily... https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-thailand-volunteer/thailands-one-million-health-volunteers-hailed-as-coronavirus-heroes-idUSKBN23B044
5. Community conformity with distancing and masks - unable to enter shopping malls without masks and temp check
6. Booze ban helped stop the young folk from congregating and possibly spreading the virus
7. All returnees into state quarantine

Compare this to so many countries and maybe you'll appreciate why Thailand did so well and why they are ranked 6th in John Hopkins University Health Security... https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-thailand-volunteer/thailands-one-million-health-volunteers-hailed-as-coronavirus-heroes-idUSKBN23B044

Testing, testing, testing becomes critical after the horse has bolted. Stick to the basics of border security, quarantines, distancing with face masks plus health volunteers and testing becomes perfunctory. One to watch is deaths, not testing so much. The Thais know how to count and classify.

Thailand has not done well at all.. They have tested less than 1% of their population,  way below other above  3rd world status nations.  If you don't test, you can't find it...  That is the Thai government mentality.  Meanwhile, they have press conferances proclaiming their success and and the forceful use of masks and social distancing, but their representatives neither wear masks or distance themselves.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The steps are for people who have been stranded outside of Thailand ‘returning’ to their families, after 3-4 months another 2 weeks in a Hotel Quarantine is not a significant hardship. 

What incentive do you have to return now??? None if you don’t have a family or strong ties to Thailand.

Well said!!!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/unknown-pneumonia-worse-coronavirus-spreads-22332781

Deadly 'unknown pneumonia worse than coronavirus' spreads through Kazakhstan

Kazakhstan is suffering a 'second wave' in Covid-19 and a spike in pneumonia cases, with China expressing 'deep concern' over the 'unknown pneumonia' which has a higher death rate than coronavirus

14 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

You might say that. The timing of it all seems tricky. Get the fit-to-fly and Covid tests, get them to a consulate, wait for approval, then finally purchase a flight? All within three days? Do-able perhaps, reasonable, given the constraints. Best if you live next door to a Thai consulate. Nerve-racking if you're depending on couriers to move those documents around. I lived three hours from Chicago. The only way I would have attempted this would be to get a room near the consulate. Either way, you may be pouring money away. Desperate measures.

My problem exactly! I am in Canada. Have a work permit and the rest of the documents required, however, it is virtually impossible to get Fit to Fly , Entry Certificate and book tickets all in 3 days! Why not just get the Fit to Fly once you know you have a ticket for a flight. This would certainly make sense as flights are hard to come by.

14 minutes ago, flamesfan said:

My problem exactly! I am in Canada. Have a work permit and the rest of the documents required, however, it is virtually impossible to get Fit to Fly , Entry Certificate and book tickets all in 3 days! Why not just get the Fit to Fly once you know you have a ticket for a flight. This would certainly make sense as flights are hard to come by.

The consulate in Van seems to know that the requirements are not possible the way they are stated. They told me to wait until new instructions are received. Maybe today already. I am also trying to get to Thailand from Alberta, Let us know if you find the way to do get it done. Did you find out how to get a fit to fly certificate/paper?

On 7/9/2020 at 9:14 PM, Kadilo said:

I was. Oh dear, did you think you were special too?

Sorry, as you edited your comment after I had replied ....your question  needs an answer  ????

Do I think I am special ? Oh no no albeit my partner does think so along with all my friends 

But don’t worry, one day you might find someone looking at you with esteem. It is just like love, it is there somewhere but some are luckier than others 

I will leave you there and let you agree with yourself...but let’s not forget that criticism is constructive ( I hope you understand)

Enjoy 

• Haha 1

On 7/9/2020 at 7:27 PM, Lingba said:

so interesting that Thais don't have to go through all the hoops except get a fit to fly paper...this must be one smart virus that can obviously pick and choose who it will infect and who not....obviously Thais returning home won't be affected..only farangs...Thais are bullet proof...

...and yet it has been returning Thais that have test tested +......or were they Burmese.....mmm???

If there will be similar requirements in the months ahead for tourists in general, then there will be a MASSIVE drop in tourist numbers (as compared to, for instance, the same period of last year). 

That insurance requirement alone will cause MANY people not to consider going to Thailand. 

On 7/9/2020 at 2:23 PM, Guderian said:

but nothing at all about the price of a repatriation flight. I expect they're free for Thai nationals,

you are dreaming free flights for thais??? I can tell you from first hand they are not free and this are overpriced One-Way-Ticket. the flight like that is just a disaster .... must be paid until Monday flight on 28.7 no information no Emails answered the only time that somebody from the Embassy to the telephone no information wait for Facebook E-Mail nothing coming last payment day is Monday.

We was go to holiday for four week and can't go back. after five months my wife want to go back she normally want to go with me

But I can tell I will not go and don't know how much money must pay me that I would go back. even I am so happy at the moment not staying there .Minimum in country i stay here don't have any problem with Corona-restriction,, life is much better,,

who in Hell want to go back to Thailand and  for what??( exeption big eggs)  under this conditions

even I have .apartment and wife I would not go back in this hell but they can expect to rest to come and I will not understand any Expat returning to Thailand. Bad for me maybe I am lucky and not sitting in stupid countries like the European Union of the Us  uk maybe  people thinking the different.

More or less sitting in paradise and have an easy time during Corona and this I would not change for thai

And they are waiting for tourist in hell will go there under this condition

Edited by lapamita

On 7/9/2020 at 3:14 PM, Kadilo said:

I was. Oh dear, did you think you were special too?

Nobody is special. The only person I ever met who was stupid enough to be a "Thai Elite" member, told me and actually believed himself, that he was jesus. ????????????. He also boasted that he never pays for anything, eventually got deported and still owes me 5000 baht ????

Edited by mal2018
Incorrect word