Angering China, Australia suspends extradition treaty with Hong Kong, extends visas

snoop1130

10 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

There are 10,000 Hong Kong citizens in Australia on student visas or temporary work visas, with a further 2,500 outside Australia and 1,250 applications on hand, according to the government. Hong Kong applicants would be prioritised under Australia's Global Talent Scheme and business visa programme.

"There is so much talent in Hong Kong," said Acting Immigration Minister Alan Tudge. "There are great businesses in Hong Kong. And we know that many individuals now might be looking elsewhere, because they do want to be in a freer country, they want to be in a democratic country

Does he mean that Australia does not have the home grown talent.

• Confused 7
  • Sad 2

Suspends treaty, extends visas ????????????

Politicians do actually think that they'll decide what others will do ????

Regarding the treaty, people have been doing their things and find a place to stay and hide in both countries.

Regarding the visas, people have been staying there anyway, by the hundreds way longer than expected.

• Confused 4

1 hour ago, A1Str8 said:

Suspends treaty, extends visas ????????????

Politicians do actually think that they'll decide what others will do ????

Regarding the treaty, people have been doing their things and find a place to stay and hide in both countries.

Regarding the visas, people have been staying there anyway, by the hundreds way longer than expected.

So you're saying suspending the treaty and changing visa regulations are not a good initiative?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, car720 said:

Yes, next door to the port in Darwin that the Chinese already have.  Trouble is I don't know which ones would be noisier.

Do you not think that establishing a US naval base in Australia would constitute a major escalation and actually make matters worse? 

Good point and I've often considered this as it would be seen as taking sides. However, I think with the way China is moving forward more and more with authoritarianism around the region from the Spratly islands issue to the building of military bases on islands within the south china sea and taking over Hong Kong and other issues such as the tax on barley imports and wine and other produce from Australia and now where it wants to show it is flexing it's muscles .... these issues I think are slowly creeping into a pattern where in my opinion it's time for Australia to really think long and hard about being with the US and having that safety cushion just as a precaution or deterant is better suited. With economies as they are now, Australia is unlikely to see the old days of millions of $$ from China's through their import of goods, those days are gone. And what is Australia going to wait for ....  will they wait until there is an issue or an attack on the top end in 5, 10 or 20 years time and then ask for the US to help. If that's the case then the US may just say they're sorry but you were reluctant to support us several years ago so we don't have to capability to act immediately as we are a long way logistically from Darwin.

I think the government should place a small US base in the NT if at all possible so not to make a big deal from it and keep the word from the press. Then over time expand that base so the presence is eventually considered as a form of protection and or deterant  would be a better word.  imo

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Do you not think that establishing a US naval base in Australia would constitute a major escalation and actually make matters worse? 

Good point and I've often considered this as it would be seen as taking sides. However, I think with the way China is moving forward more and more with authoritarianism around the region from the Spratly islands issue to the building of military bases on islands within the south china sea and taking over Hong Kong and other issues such as the tax on barley imports and wine and other produce from Australia and now where it wants to show it is flexing it's muscles .... these issues I think are slowly creeping into a pattern where in my opinion it's time for Australia to really think long and hard about being with the US and having that safety cushion just as a precaution or deterant is better suited. With economies as they are now, Australia is unlikely to see the old days of millions of $$ from China's through their import of goods, those days are gone. And what is Australia going to wait for ....  will they wait until there is an issue or an attack on the top end in 5, 10 or 20 years time and then ask for the US to help. If that's the case then the US may just say they're sorry but you were reluctant to support us several years ago so we don't have to capability to act immediately as we are a long way logistically from Darwin.

I think the government should place a small US base in the NT if at all possible so not to make a big deal from it and keep the word from the press. Then over time expand that base so the presence is eventually considered as a form of protection and or deterant  would be a better word.  imo

Better to put it in East Timor though.  That way we could not be directly blamed and may not hurt trade as much.  Also good for keeping that whole area in check.  Also, knowing the folks in the top end, they may not be all that welcome.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, car720 said:

I think most people know that Australia must have immigration to survive the falling birth rate.  This sounds like he is trying to get skilled immigrants instead of just matress backs.

They have been talking for 30 years about importing skilled migrants. My point is that if our universities are good enough to train students from overseas, they should be able to train the locals. If there were no overseas students the universities would not be able to charge as much as they do, making them more accessible to local talent.

I am glad I completed mine in the 1970's when the costs were minimal because I am sure my parents could not afford to pay now.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Does he mean that Australia does not have the home grown talent.

Perhaps asking him directly would provide the answer. A rhetorical question is nice, but...

13 hours ago, steven100 said:

And this is already happening .... the days of Australia getting millions of dollars in trade exports from China are gone unfortunately. And this is another reason why Australia should think long & hard about putting a US base in the NT or Darwin.  imo 

Those that laugh at your post, could benefit from researching the history of attacks upon Australia by another Asian country in the 1940s. History often repeats itself after generations have died off and the present occupants scoff that it couldn't happen in present day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Benmart said:

Those that laugh at your post, could benefit from researching the history of attacks upon Australia by another Asian country in the 1940s. History often repeats itself after generations have died off and the present occupants scoff that it couldn't happen in present day.

You have not included the massive threat from Indonesia that was popular in the 1970's.

• Like 1

AL countrys need closed bordens and no newer again keep in any chinese. all chineses need move out wery country were have and closed totally all borden and newer can go back any country. normal humans western countrys not need idiot chinese <deleted> destroy all .lot only problem whit chinese lot have criminal, mafia,thief,scammers,and other problems. only idiot country open bordens chinese <deleted>.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, car720 said:

Yes, next door to the port in Darwin that the Chinese already have.  Trouble is I don't know which ones would be noisier.

Added to the Chinese control of that Port is the Western Australian airport they upgraded to international aircraft capacity

Australia has allowed the Chinese to have quite a significant  footprint  while "negotiating " with the the US establish a more significant military capacity .

The political game is confusing ! But so is a sport played on a circular field. lol

13 hours ago, steven100 said:

And this is already happening .... the days of Australia getting millions of dollars in trade exports from China are gone unfortunately. And this is another reason why Australia should think long & hard about putting a US base in the NT or Darwin.  imo 

Yes!

Stop thinking and get those US military bases. China understands military threat of encirclement.

Philippines is already doing this on Thitu Island in the South China Sea to allow US navy a port and runway access.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mr mr said:

why are other countries afraid of china being angry at them ? who bloody cares what they think. 

economic power, money to throw around. I do think all countries should stand up to China, alone one cannot do much but togeather a lot can be done.