Dual Pricing in Thailand

WineOh

Dual Pricing In Thailand.  

135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Curious to get some feedback and viewpoints from TV members on this touchy subject. 

Is it right to charge foreigners more than locals at tourist attractions in Thailand?

Edited by Liverpoolfan

If we were talking about a 50 baht surcharge then I would probably bite the bullet ( wouldn’t agree with it but would accept it begrudgingly ).

But often it is x 10, 20/200 baht, 40/400 baht and I have seen 50/500 baht !!.

My local water park opened and was charging 250 baht Thais, 750 baht foreigners !! , “ sorry kids but it’s back to the 150 baht for everyone water park “

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:
8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Another ‘if you don’t like it go home’ type response

If i had a pound for every time ive heard that i wouldnt still be living here Lol! ????????

Indeed... also, if I had a pound for every time I read ‘if I had a pound’, I wouldn’t be living here either !!!! 

I can’t think of any argument to justify dual pricing based on Nationality - every time I do, its some flawed explanation attempting to explain the inexcusable. 

16 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Another dual pricing thread.

As if it only happens in Thailand...

Many western countries including Europe have dual pricing.

Theme parks, golf, local attractions very common.

If it bothers one so much to pay 50 b more to go someplace here, then I suggest don´t go.

It's not 50 baht....it's 10 times the amount. 

Europe does not have dual pricing "for foreigners" however local attractions may offer discounts for residents of that state/county/community....totally different to ole whitey must pay 10 times as is here.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You get dual pricing for food also, i boycott those places. 9 hole golf courses in Sattahip also big dual pricing

Seems to me to be self defeating.

people will eventually stop coming once they feel like they have been ripped off.

it leaves a bad taste in a persons mouth and its something a tourist remembers and tells their pals when they go back home.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

How about foreigners living and working in Thailand and also those with Thai families?

should they also pay over the odds?

Well I just don't pay extra the Mrs see's to that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Seems to me to be self defeating.

people will eventually stop coming once they feel like they have been ripped off.

it leaves a bad taste in a persons mouth and its something a tourist remembers and tells their pals when they go back home.

Yes and also the term falang is becoming less acceptable every year. Imagine in the UK if we referred to those non white as foreigners

• Thanks 1

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Yes and also the term falang is becoming less acceptable every year. Imagine in the UK if we referred to those non white as foreigners

Every time i hear that word it gets me seething inside.

i still hear it all the time.

they know what they are doing when theh use it.

pure racism.

Just now, Liverpoolfan said:
2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Every time i hear that word it gets me seething inside.

i still hear it all the time.

they know what they are doing when theh use it.

pure racism.

I don’t think its racism, rather it's just innocent ignorance. 

More commonly than not I’ve heard the term ‘Falang’ used in a neutral way as nothing more than a descriptor for ‘white foreigner’ with no malice or intention of malice.

The Dual Pricing issue where foreigners are charged more doesn’t seem to be borne of racism - its simply ignorant opportunism. 

I see at the entrance to the National Park at Koh Samet the National Park Guards targeting every SongThaew with Chinese, Korean or Western Tourists...  its just a money grab. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don’t think its racism, rather it's just innocent ignorance. 

Was it also innocent ignorance when the health minister referred to us as B***ard foreigners in front of all and sundry?

i agree, the word in and of itself is not inherently racist. It is the way it is applied and the tone in which it is used.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/culture/net/2020/07/09/expats-facebook-group-keeps-tabs-on-dual-pricing-venues/

EXPATS FACEBOOK GROUP KEEPS TABS ON ‘DUAL PRICING’ VENUES

July 9, 2020 2:57 pm

BANGKOK — The days of showing up at a pristine national park only to be told you’d be charged 10 times what a local would pay is over, thanks to a Facebook community naming and shaming venues that continue to apply “farang prices” on foreign visitors. Now you can avoid them like the coronavirus.

• Like 1