Dual Pricing in Thailand

WineOh

Dual Pricing In Thailand.  

135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think it's a marketing problem. If only these attractions simply have one price for everyone, and discounts for senior citizens, children, and thai residents, there wouldn't be much uproar. This would actually make residents feel special and tourists not feel ripped off. Simple rule when making exceptions, make it a positive exception. 

An absurd example to get the point across. Imagine businesses say pricing for next month will be increased by 50%. You never advertise the negative exception.

10 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Another dual pricing thread.

As if it only happens in Thailand...

Many western countries including Europe have dual pricing.

Theme parks, golf, local attractions very common.

If it bothers one so much to pay 50 b more to go someplace here, then I suggest don´t go.

How about for a broken arm treatment the hospital local price is 18,000 bht and for the same treatment a farang will get charged by that hospital 39,000 bht ?

11 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

If you dont like it no need to comment.

thanks for your completely useless input though. 

He has a point though. 

My own input is that I have obviously never been to a tourist attraction as I cannot remember paying over the odds for anything. 

And are you a wool or a Norwegian.? ????

10 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:
10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don’t think its racism, rather it's just innocent ignorance. 

Was it also innocent ignorance when the health minister referred to us as B***ard foreigners in front of all and sundry?

i agree, the word in and of itself is not inherently racist. It is the way it is applied and the tone in which it is used.

No, that is extremely poor translation... He referred to us as ‘Dirty Foreigners’ (but the Thai equivalent of the phrase he used wasn’t as *bad as it sounds when translated to us). Regardless, what he said was arrogant, highly unproffesional and yes, xenophobic....  Ironically, Anutin has just had to publicly apologies after being photographed at 4th July US Independence day party while not wearing his face mask !!!!! 

(in much the same way we use the word ’stupid’ it doesn’t sound bad to us, but its an extreme word for Thai’s)

• Like 1

Gave it some thought and the only time i avoid dual pricing is taking the dog to the vets, it just means i hide in the car and the gf takes the dog in alone, 

In temples i have zero interest and cant ever remember going to a national park, I do remember years ago water falls and such where i used to avoid dual pricing by showing my thai driving licence and if they refused to accept that i turned and walked away.

The "foreigners don't pay Thai tax" comment is the most ridiculous one I have even seen.

When traveling to the UK, do the English ask that foreigners pay to go into their free museums, drive on their free roads, walk in their free parks ... ??? NO - it is part of living in a civilized society that a country should welcome visitors to the country. 

I started living in China in 1994, and at that time there was double pricing for everything .... hotels, airline tickets, taxis.... but they saw the error of their ways in 1996  and banned double pricing.

Come on Thailand - you are 24 years behind, you can do it !!

• Thanks 1

I used to be able to show my Thai driver license and get Thai prices. I’m married with a child born in Thailand and if they try and charge me farang prices I just turn my car around and go somewhere else. They lose 3 customers. Most of these places also overcharge for food and drink. My wife gets extremely angry with them as she says he has been married to me for over 16 years and takes care of me and my daughter he should get the same price as me. I noticed the other day that Nong Nuch has stopped double pricing but that might just be temporary.

21 hours ago, phungo said:

I think it is absolutely right and even more fair to charge tourists more especially for attractions funded by thai government since tourists does not pay thai income tax. 

And does that also happen in your home country? In my home country it would be illegal.

21 hours ago, phungo said:

I think it is absolutely right and even more fair to charge tourists more especially for attractions funded by thai government since tourists does not pay thai income tax. 

What a Nonsense!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Another dual pricing thread.

As if it only happens in Thailand...

Many western countries including Europe have dual pricing.

Theme parks, golf, local attractions very common.

If it bothers one so much to pay 50 b more to go someplace here, then I suggest don´t go.

No-one has said that it only happens in Thailand, but this is a forum about Thailand. Where dual pricing happens, led by the government and so picked up by anyone else who wants to charge foreigners more as all foreigners are rich and all Thais are poor. And those who take their lead from the government include many private companies. I'm not aware of any place that charges only 50 baht more. Are you, or did you just pick a number out of the air?

Edited by Bangkok Barry

22 hours ago, phungo said:

Sio how do you feel about non tourist expats living here.

Tourists yes. I think it supplements the revenues to allow Thais to go to attractions that they might not do if rates were flattened out. If your a legitimate retiree Or working here and can prove a Permanent Thai address I don’t see why those individuals can’t get the subsidized price.

i see this subject is under discussion by the powers that be , so maybe the rules will change.

If this was right, logical farrangs also should pay more for everything, Food in the restaurants, purchase from the malls, stamps for a letter, gazoline, beer in a bar. you name it. The double price (often 10 doubled) price system that is in use just show that Thailand is griddy and not worth tourists.

21 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Seems to me to be self defeating.

people will eventually stop coming once they feel like they have been ripped off.

it leaves a bad taste in a persons mouth and its something a tourist remembers and tells their pals when they go back home.

That's if they find out what is happening. Many Thai 'attractions' write the Thai price in Thai script and/or numbers to hide what they are doing from foreigners. In fact, using Thai numerals is probably only used these days for that purpose.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Dual Pricing issue where foreigners are charged more doesn’t seem to be borne of racism - its simply ignorant opportunism.

We are forbidden by forum rules to alter someone's posting, but I think you might have meant to write greed ????????

22 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Seems to me to be self defeating.

people will eventually stop coming once they feel like they have been ripped off.

it leaves a bad taste in a persons mouth and its something a tourist remembers and tells their pals when they go back home.

But many Thai businessmen are just not able to realise this, they only see the faces of their new customers, not the old ones who never come back.

• Like 1

Curious to get some feedback and viewpoints from TV members on this touchy subject. 

Is it right to charge foreigners more than locals at tourist attractions in Thailand?

You do know that they started a discussion on taking that away, right? If they do it or not, we do not know at present time. However, very timely with your posting. ????????

22 hours ago, baansgr said:

If that was the reasoning behind dual pricing one could maybe accept it....but it's not...it's foreigner have big money must pay more

How do you know that? Did you get that information from your secret contact in the Thai government? Or is it a TAT officer that is a double agent? ????????

If you dont like it no need to comment.

thanks for your completely useless input though. 

You have no reason, and shall not feel that you need to thank other members on this forum for their hard work. You are such a big contributor of useless threads, so if anything many readers should thank you Sir. ????????

22 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

Are you serious? 

Yes, I believe he is. What is wrong? Is it hard times? ????????

22 hours ago, YetAnother said:

i pay far more total tax to thailand than 90% thais; alcohol, gasoline, vat, income

Good on you, Sir! ???????? Thank you for your contribution. However, if you pay such a great amount of tax, then you must also make a lot of money. Take it easy, you can afford it. 

Edited by Matzzon
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Every time i hear that word it gets me seething inside.

i still hear it all the time.

they know what they are doing when theh use it.

pure racism.

How fickle. I could'nt care less as its just a term to identify.  During WW2 we used to talk of the "Yanks"   nothing offensive was meant. And the Yanks did'nt care.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

You do know that they started a discussion on taking that away, right? If they do it or not, we do not know at present time. However, very timely with your posting. ????????

How do you know that? Did you get that information from your secret contact in the Thai government? Or is it a TAT officer that is a double agent? ????????

You have no reason, and shall not feel that you need to thank other members on this forum for their hard work. You are such a big contributor of useless threads, so if anything many readers should thank you Sir. ????????

Yes, I believe he is. What is wrong? Is it hard times? ????????

Good on you, Sir! ???????? Thank you for your contribution. However, if you pay such a great amount of tax, then you must also make a lot of money. Take it easy, you can afford it. 

He’s here again, the prince of Waffleden.

how goes it, Mattzoid?

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

this must be the 500th thread on this subject -yawn..

It does not matter how many times a topic comes up, Thaivisa has thousands of members, so many different viewpoints.

I voted yes.  I've never given it a thought at any of the attractions I go to and I really don't see what all the shouting is about for something that is common practice in lots of countries.  I always assume there will be a different price structure for foreigners, just as there often is for children and seniors.  The prices are always very reasonable and, as others have said, if you can't afford to go, don't--and stop whining.