Dual Pricing in Thailand

WineOh

Dual Pricing In Thailand.  

135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Up to them I suppose, and fair enough if it is reasonable amount more.  But it does not feel too good if you live there and you walk into a shop to buy a hardware item that is marked say 100 bht and shop man say 150. You Falang. Up country not too often charged this extra though, I found

44 minutes ago, newnative said:

I voted yes.  I've never given it a thought at any of the attractions I go to and I really don't see what all the shouting is about for something that is common practice in lots of countries.  I always assume there will be a different price structure for foreigners, just as there often is for children and seniors.  The prices are always very reasonable and, as others have said, if you can't afford to go, don't--and stop whining.  

what other countries? in the UK there isn't dual pricing. Don't say America

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:
46 minutes ago, newnative said:

I voted yes.  I've never given it a thought at any of the attractions I go to and I really don't see what all the shouting is about for something that is common practice in lots of countries.  I always assume there will be a different price structure for foreigners, just as there often is for children and seniors.  The prices are always very reasonable and, as others have said, if you can't afford to go, don't--and stop whining.  

Indeed... newnatives response is a dumbed down over simplification and dismissal of a problem and then finished of with the flippancy of ‘if you can’t afford it..... ‘  as if price and not principle is the issue. 

newnatives - holes in your argument: A different price structure for children and seniors is based on age, not nationality or race !!

Any differentiation, price, service etc based on nationality or race alone is outright wrong - I have never seen one valid excuse to justify double-pricing based on nationality. All I ever see are flawed attempt, as yours [newnatives] above to somehow explain and justify something which is wrong.

None of this stops me from visiting anything, unless the double charge is significant enough and done in such an objectionable way I object and refuse. 

Mostly, I get the Thai price with an ID card or Drivers licence (except for National Parks), this doesn’t make the practice of dual pricing any less agreeable. 

On 7/9/2020 at 6:23 PM, baansgr said:

it's foreigner have big money must pay more

if that was the reasoning wealthy Thai would have to pay more... 

On 7/9/2020 at 6:18 PM, Liverpoolfan said:

How about foreigners living and working in Thailand and also those with Thai families?

too many distinctions... what abt foreigners who once worked, have a family but it is now split apart and lost a toe in the war... 

As others have mentioned, it is not uncommon in other places to have 2 tier pricing for varying reasons... 

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

It does not matter how many times a topic comes up, Thaivisa has thousands of members, so many different viewpoints.

that's why it's boring, the viewpoints are the same and have been for the 18yrs I've been reading. It's like folks want to read themselves crying online for some stupid reason. It's simple -  don't want to pay don't pay, but crying about it on here is not going to change it or it would of happened already. It's like talking to a drunk or someone senile - same story over and over lol 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed... newnatives response is a dumbed down over simplification and dismissal of a problem and then finished of with the flippancy of ‘if you can’t afford it..... ‘  as if price and not principle is the issue. 

newnatives - holes in your argument: A different price structure for children and seniors is based on age, not nationality or race !!

Any differentiation, price, service etc based on nationality or race alone is outright wrong - I have never seen one valid excuse to justify double-pricing based on nationality. All I ever see are flawed attempt, as yours [newnatives] above to somehow explain and justify something which is wrong.

None of this stops me from visiting anything, unless the double charge is significant enough and done in such an objectionable way I object and refuse. 

Mostly, I get the Thai price with an ID card or Drivers licence (except for National Parks), this doesn’t make the practice of dual pricing any less agreeable. 

Thailand gives a price break to its citizens for some attractions--it has nothing to do with race.  As I said, stop whining--it's not an attractive look on you or scubascuba3.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Well, nearby we have Cambodia, India, and China with dual pricing for some of their attractions.  America has long had dual pricing regarding tuition at colleges and universities--I don't see much difference between dual pricing for tuition vs. dual pricing to enter a park. 

2 minutes ago, newnative said:

Well, nearby we have Cambodia, India, and China with dual pricing for some of their attractions.  America has long had dual pricing regarding tuition at colleges and universities--I don't see much difference between dual pricing for tuition vs. dual pricing to enter a park. 

In Canada there are many colleges and universities in serious trouble due to the lack of ability to overcharge visiting students 2 to 4 times more - and no, I don't buy the tax argument for justification..

Anyways, one thing hasn't changed the CAC brigade just pass the torch, whining about money never gets old for them..

On 7/9/2020 at 9:12 PM, Liverpoolfan said:

Is it right to charge foreigners more than locals at tourist attractions in Thailand?

Is it right to charge tourists more per se, than locals at tourist attractions anywhere in the world.

While it is not considered discrimination, the fact that anyone, not that I didn't say Thai's, would want to charge more for a tourist to enter an attraction than a citizen deserves to be totally boycotted in my opinion, but each to their own, you will have those who are more than happy to pay more for the privilege, I on the other hand regardless of how much more it costs refuse to pay more than a citizen of that country, I mean it just goes to show how disingenuous those wanting to charge tourists more are, so why not tell them how discouraged we are, in other words, throw it back at them, as this topic refers to Thailand, an "up to you" approach needs to be on an equal playing field, but that is not going to happen unless everyone boycotts these overcharging venues till they get the message, on price should be across the board, regardless if a foreigner, colour or race.  

In my country most cities, not all, charge locals less or even free to visit museums and other places of interests.

Seniors get cheaper prices on public transport and many other amenities.

In my home country, only 25 years ago, colored people would not be allowed entrance to the biggest disco in Europe

In the US Disney charges locals less for entrance than out of state visitors.

There are many countries in the world that have similar rules.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

Put the shoe on the other foot, would it be ok to dual price Thais for things in the west? Imagine a Thai going to a national park, and being charged 10 times the price. Or a Thai wife having to have $800,000 in the bank in a foreign country to cover health costs, why should the tax payers pay for them? Or have a Thai do 90 day reporting, or being charged more for a meal at a restaurant? Etc etc etc. 

you see, the thing with 'different cultures' is that people do things differently in different countries... surely a Thai has to jump through far higher and more difficult hoops then does a foreigner here... no, they are not the same hoops... 

why would you expect everything to be the same in every country? Even in USA people from out of state pay more to go to state colleges than in state... as well as golf courses... can't you just accept that there are differences in what is needed to qualify even when the requirements are far in your favor? For me, I am grateful it is so easy... 

Why. We are already spending so much money to come to Thailand. Helping Thailand with tourism. I can't see a reason. Its like when I go to Serbia. And everyone is telling me I can come visit them. I'm telling them that I have travelled 2 days and 2000km so how about they come visit me. 

Of course it is wrong..

Did Thais ever rip of people before the Government said it was OK?

Perhaps they did gouge a bit on the price but basically a GOV is saying to its illiterate 

Yes its ok to charge Non Thai over the odds

its a peer down learning principle

As for the morons that say its OK we can afford it
That also says Hi Im a moron please let me pay more

If you go to The UK many musuems are free not everything but theres a lot all funded by taxation.

In my experience Thailand is not the worst Indias pricing is incredible maybe thats where they got the slogan from for their tourism.

Thanks got I know how to count in Thai and ask how much, that usually sorts some of the overcharging out.

After a lot of travelling I really grew weary of the haggling for everything
life is just to short to entertain these idiots haggling over 50 cents
the theres the total idiots whose first price is like TAT's prediction of tourism numbers 
they simply get left playing with themselves a bit like TAT trying to sort out Covid.

2 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Put the shoe on the other foot, would it be ok to dual price Thais for things in the west? Imagine a Thai going to a national park, and being charged 10 times the price. Or a Thai wife having to have $800,000 in the bank in a foreign country to cover health costs, why should the tax payers pay for them? Or have a Thai do 90 day reporting, or being charged more for a meal at a restaurant? Etc etc etc. 

Except that 10x the price for a foreigner is still about $6-$10.  Big whoop.  Significantly less than the cost of most attractions back home.  They don't overcharge foreigners.  They make it affordable for locals with a discount.  Just like Disney does for their properties around the USA.

And most western embassies make sure Thai people (or their sponsoring spouse) meet certain means testing before they can get a long term visa.  Not to mention, 800,000 baht is a LOT different than $800,000.

You've got me at the 90 day reporting, but if that's the biggest beef, I'd still much rather be a westerner trying to get into Thailand (like, showing up at the border with a valid passport- how hard is that?) than a Thai person jumping through hoops just to get a tourist visa, much less a long term visa to the west. 

And, to my knowledge, in 7+ years in Thailand, I never paid more than the menu price for a meal.  Maybe I did.  But I don't recall any meals in Thailand that cost as much as a mediocre mid-grade chain back home- and usually a tiny fraction.  (With the exception of those rip-off seafood places that charge by the 100 grams- but they're equal opportunity ripoffs).

• Thanks 1

it is 10x more for foreign, specially in those national parks, if one dislike it I would suggest the boycott. amazing tool it always works doesn't matter the occasion and you can always tell others that eventually will follow you. ????

European countries do not have dual pricing to my knowledge, i have travelled to many EU countries and not seen it... Dual pricing does not work. The whole point of going to a cheaper country is enjoying the lower pricing,,, 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 6:16 PM, phungo said:

I think it is absolutely right and even more fair to charge tourists more especially for attractions funded by thai government since tourists does not pay thai income tax. 

Many Thais also don't pay any Tax and use the attractions, especially nature attractions and bring also their waste and let it there. So, what is the news in your message?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, A512 said:

it is 10x more for foreign, specially in those national parks, if one dislike it I would suggest the boycott. amazing tool it always works doesn't matter the occasion and you can always tell others that eventually will follow you. ????

I'm fully with you. If I have to pay much more than a local Thai, I don't go there.

Many times I wonder for what they take anyway an entry fee if they just can't keep the area clean.

I live in Thailand, pay for electric, water, food, handyman, restaurant, doctor etc. 

For the visa I pay more than many Thai local ever pay tax. 

20 years ago I was for a longer project here and thought I would know the country better than a tourist. That is still true but not enough. Even after 16 years together with a wonderful but stubborn Thai Woman, I would not choose again for Thailand. So simple, so sad.

4 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

European countries do not have dual pricing to my knowledge, i have travelled to many EU countries and not seen it... Dual pricing does not work. The whole point of going to a cheaper country is enjoying the lower pricing,,, 

Even at foreigner pricing, most Thai attractions are a bargain compared to Euro pricing.

5 hours ago, impulse said:

Except that 10x the price for a foreigner is still about $6-$10.  Big whoop.  Significantly less than the cost of most attractions back home.  They don't overcharge foreigners.  They make it affordable for locals with a discount.  Just like Disney does for their properties around the USA.

And most western embassies make sure Thai people (or their sponsoring spouse) meet certain means testing before they can get a long term visa.  Not to mention, 800,000 baht is a LOT different than $800,000.

You've got me at the 90 day reporting, but if that's the biggest beef, I'd still much rather be a westerner trying to get into Thailand (like, showing up at the border with a valid passport- how hard is that?) than a Thai person jumping through hoops just to get a tourist visa, much less a long term visa to the west. 

And, to my knowledge, in 7+ years in Thailand, I never paid more than the menu price for a meal.  Maybe I did.  But I don't recall any meals in Thailand that cost as much as a mediocre mid-grade chain back home- and usually a tiny fraction.  (With the exception of those rip-off seafood places that charge by the 100 grams- but they're equal opportunity ripoffs).

All of your points are spot on. Especially this bit: "They don't overcharge foreigners.  They make it affordable for locals with a discount."

A lot of people seem to forget that the average Thai can't afford to pay the same prices as the average tourist in Thailand. It wouldn't be fair to price the average working Thai out of seeing the natural beauty spots in their own country. The dual pricing enables the hotel cleaner to go and see that hot spring alongside the (relatively) well heeled traveller. 

8 hours ago, kenk24 said:

why would you expect everything to be the same in every country?

Ever heard of reciprocity?

I am from the UK

thais living in my country do not have to do 90 day reporting.

they have an easy path to citizenship and can work Whatever job they want once they have secured residency. 

here it is nothing but a minefield of red tape and bureaucracy.
no real attainable path to citizenship.

sure, maybe the odd farang has done it but they are few and far between.

even those with kids and those who are married still are never allowed to fully integrate into society.

they get a sick pleasure in making us feel less than them by always making us feel like an outsider, at every level from the immigration offices down to woman at the park ticket booth.

its wrong and it needs to change. 

Edited by Liverpoolfan